UEFA Euro 2024 Semi Finals ** spoilers ** [9th - 10th July 2024]

Don
I get that people want Southate gone, but I still wouldn't want us to lose just so it's a foregone conclusion.
Even if that were to mean a guaranteed win at the next tournament? (and possibly future tournaments?)

I know we've been to a couple of finals in a row now and we should be seeing more, but England lifting a trophy could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a lot of people. Football in general has become much more pragmatic.
But it shouldn't need to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

With the players we've got/had over the last few years, surely we should be in strong contention every tournament, and a win will come naturally. Not having to relying on last minute flukes, penalty shootouts and dodgy ref/var decisions to luck us into a possible chance.

Soldato
Not a chance, we've had enough of that with England over the years and I don't feel any better for it.

I agree with Shami that football is about entertainment, but I get plenty of that from club football for nine months of the year.

Nicking the winning goal when you are not playing well and lifting a trophy is one of the best feelings in football. I don't know how anyone can feel better about losing than winning, no matter how entertaining we are. I get that people want Southate gone, but I still wouldn't want us to lose just so it's a foregone conclusion.

I know we've been to a couple of finals in a row now and we should be seeing more, but England lifting a trophy could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a lot of people. Football in general has become much more pragmatic.

I suppose for me it’s more about the journey than the end result. If we get something at the end, having played well, then that’s great and feels more deserved. If not, not going to lose any sleep over it.

And regarding the pragmatism and quality of football, I think it’s a sad state of affairs. I read the other day about Bielsa lamenting how football is now, and I can’t say I disagree. It’s not what it was.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Even if that were to mean a guaranteed win at the next tournament? (and possibly future tournaments?)

I thought we were being realistic, not some weird hypotheticals. Surely you'd sack any manager we had if it guaranteed us the next world cup?

It's not like we'd have a Pep or Klopp in charge of England, or some proven international winning manager, if Southgate had been sacked a couple of years ago. It'd be someone like Potter, Howe or, God forbid, Lampard, and while they might play more entertaining football, they wouldn't exactly inspire me with confidence to win anything.

But it shouldn't need to be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

With the players we've got/had over the last few years, surely we should be in strong contention every tournament, and a win will come naturally. Not having to relying on last minute flukes, penalty shootouts and dodgy ref/var decisions to luck us into a possible chance.

I didn't say it had to be, but he's the only manager who's got us even close. We've had the attitude before of thinking that winning should come naturally and international football just doesn't work that way. I think people need to look around at some of the football that the other favourites have been playing and realise that it's quite a rare thing to go through these tournaments now and be an entertaining side.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
I really hope we win the final. Not only because that would be nice, but because I will get to see the massive fusion of conflicting emotions from all the frothing armchair experts who have written off Southgate from game 1 (and before!). The sheer confusion it would create would cause me great joy!!

Soldato
I really hope we win the final. Not only because that would be nice, but because I will get to see the massive fusion of conflicting emotions from all the frothing armchair experts who have written off Southgate from game 1 (and before!). The sheer confusion it would create would cause me great joy!!
Oh he's frustrated me at times, boy has he frustrated me because I knew we had that level of performance in us and we'd been too slow on the pitch and in changes

He was finally more proactive with the subs and that played out perfectly and built well on the change of formation.

Now if we could continue the attitude we have after going a goal down but apply that from before we go a goal down that would be great.

If that happens, I'm not going to lose my schizzle.

Soldato
I think the final could, finally, be Foden's night.

He was unlucky to not walk away with two goals to his name last time out and the setup saw him get on the ball more.

That's if we can cut through the Spanish onslaught in order to make that happen is a different matter.

Associate
This will be a first in an international final for me because I'll be supporting England, as a Welshman living in Worcestershire with a Finnish mother who also supports Italy (purely because of the WC '94 final where I preferred blue over yellow, after which it stuck for some reason) I am hoping for a good day!

In rugby I'm very much a spiteful turd who will often support England's opposition, but on Sunday I will be all about INGURLUND!

I'm confident it won't be a drubbing like Spain handed out to Italy in 2012 but am concerned as the Spanish have looked pretty good so far.

Back
Top Bottom