UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL ... Ajax v Manchester United ... **Spoilers** [24th May 2017]

Caporegime
A convincing win in the end, well done United. I didn't think Mourinho would be that jubilent about winning the Europa League though.

Bad outcome for Arsenal as their 5 rivals will be able to strengthen in the summer with the lure of the Champions League.

Soldato
It's the CL qualification and the ramifications of that that are more important than the trophy. Realistically no United fan is going to pretend that the Europa League is comparable to winning the prem or the CL, but it could be the difference between getting the likes of Griezmann and not.

Caporegime
How much does it change those things? Eg. might London still be more appealing? Might Citeh be more appealing in terms of the football and management? Especially given both Chelsea and Citeh are more than willing to pay both massive fees and crazy wages. If they'd missed out on Champions League football they might have still been able to get Griezmann by doing what they did with Pogba and offering more than anyone else could or would match.

Devil's advocate etc etc.

Like Owen said last night the badge and history would attract players. Winning the the Europa league is just the tip of the iceberg. It's not like we haven't won the league since 1961 and need to convince players that we can win it again ;)

Soldato
are people really suggesting it's just winning a trophy that defines a season? it's about competing and improving. united haven't done either, they've blagged everything they've won this season and spent a bucketload to do so. i'd rather have spurs future prospects than uniteds, trophy or not. if anything, we're far more entertaining to watch.
What a ridiculously bitter post, go home :D

Soldato
Unfortunately I had to work last night so I watched a recording when I got in after trying to avoid all media. The game was dull and typical of United this season. In fact it was worse than that with little coherent play from the team. That said it completely nullified the opposition to the extent that the match didn't seem like much of a competition. I'm interested in the direction Mourinho takes now. He clearly has not enjoyed much of his first year in charge so it was good to see him show some pleasure last night. Priority now has to be developing a more attractive style of play that delivers more goals. I still can't reconcile it when people are labelling Fellaini as one of our most important players.

Associate
It was a dull game but Mourinho and United did exactly what they needed to win. Ajax were massively frustrating; the number of times they could have passed to someone out wide who had plenty of space to put a cross in, but instead chose to play it through the middle...

Caporegime
No one has claimed that, so well done on putting words in other people's mouths (again)

Actually they did, the fans celebrated not qualifying for the Europa league under Moyes, on here at the time I said it was short sighted and some on here were happy not to have to have qualified. So again you are wrong.

Soldato
Actually they did, the fans celebrated not qualifying for the Europa league under Moyes, on here at the time I said it was short sighted and some on here were happy not to have to have qualified. So again you are wrong.

I was referring to the Chamions of the World reference which I highlighted

Look at Liverpool and Chelsea after not qualifying for Europa last season, it made this season a lot easier than it could have been.
Depending on the team one season out of europe can be a huge help

So yet again you were wrong

Caporegime
Well done for ignoring the bit he actually bolded.

Yes I missed that thank you :) And the champions of the world was tongue in cheek and not referring to here but my internet feed/media in general, hence why I didn't quote anyone in particular. The united fans on here are quite honest and can recognise you're playing **** football and will spend another 200m in the transfer window to not be quite so ****. :p 50m for Barkley will be 1/4 of the spend :D

Caporegime
They wouldn't have won all of them eventually, trying to play through 3-4 defenders every time seems like a worse bet.

Nothing to suggest they wouldn't. We dominated in the air all over the pitch because we have a much bigger team. Ajax looked at their most threatening when Traore was running at us.

Back
Top Bottom