UK court to unmask 'file-sharers'

Soldato
hmm, im the account holder of a shared cable connection thats had 10 users come and go over 3 years (student house)

although i've made them sign something saying anything they download is their problem :p

buying stuff is so much better than downloading stuff thou, I bought the futurama box set the other day for £60... bargain!

Suspended
Hate said:
hmm, im the account holder of a shared cable connection thats had 10 users come and go over 3 years (student house)

although i've made them sign something saying anything they download is their problem :p

buying stuff is so much better than downloading stuff thou, I bought the futurama box set the other day for £60... bargain!

You'd need to speak to a lawyer as to how well that would stand up in court - however as far as the ISP is concerned you are the account holder.

You might be better off getting them to sign something saying they will not download or use the connection for illegal activities rather than implying that you know they will but its their problem ;)

Soldato
iirc there was someone making a tamper proof PC that had a huge electromagnet on the side of the hard dives, set to go at the touch of a button/if the case was opened without a key,

doubt it would stop anyone who was determined to get data from the drives, but would make life hard for people if it was strong enough.

Permabanned
HaX said:
As I understand it, FAST tend to sue people for all they've got.

I went there for work experience, and my uncle works there, from what he has told me they are mainly about helping companies keep all their software licenses in order etc to prevent them getting into trouble for it.

But I suppose hes not going to tell me the ins and outs of their court cases etc.

Associate
vonhelmet said:
And I suppose "cool" means relatively cold and "gay" means happy.

:rolleyes:

well that is the technical meaning but in this case I think we all know what the terms being used mean.

I'm not going to go into what my opinion on piracy or of what the software and entertainment industries estimate as their loss of revenue

I don't use bit torrent (or any other P2P app) and won't because;
1) You never know what you're really downloading - a lot of viruses seem to circulate this way (even though if you have the slightest common sense you wouldn't download a 70kb exe claiming to be a certain video of Paris Hilton)

2) If I really want something I'll buy it on CD / DVD - I will NOT however purchase a DRM crippled track of inferior quality

I personally don't really have a problem with file sharers being taken to court, I do have a problem with the music industry demanding customer details from an ISP, the music industry are NOT the police, and have no right to demand this information.

They should have the right to ask the ISP to pass the information to the police and have the police check this for a criminal prosecution.

They optionally should have the option to (using the ISP as an intermediary) pass on a notice that if they do not cease and dissist as well as pay a fixed penalty a criminal proceding will follow, with their detials being passed on to the authorities.

At the end of the day the music and movie industries should not have the option to find out ISPs customer details and use bullying tactics.

EDIT:

The above should also apply to the software copyright owners

Last edited:
Soldato
As already been said, this surely is only gonna catch the people who do big time sharing, not the average joe bloggs downloading a few mp3's. everyone i know at some point has downloaded a few mp3's. Also, you only have to look at the screenshot thread in windows forum and see how many people have photoshop open (yeah - everyone will say they paid like £700 or whatever the price is for it, but i doubt it), and all those that have bittorent shortcuts on the desktop. Everyone does it at some time.

Associate
It wont be the big players getting busted, it will be average people who just downloads loads and loads of stuff from p2p because its the only method they know how to use. p2p makes them such an easy target for the enforcement agencys. The people who are deep into piracy get their stuff from direct sources, topsites etc, thus are more protected. Its the average joe that gets busted for p2p. Good thing i dont use it :)

Associate
Just curious but what happens if you have dl'ed a torrent of an album for example, what happens if you own the CD of that Album? I guess it boils down to whether or not you have uploaded anything. Would it be the same with software?

Caporegime
pabloB said:
Just curious but what happens if you have dl'ed a torrent of an album for example, what happens if you own the CD of that Album? I guess it boils down to whether or not you have uploaded anything. Would it be the same with software?

If you're using torrents you're always uploading.

As such, even if you own the CD you're screwed as goodness knows who you could have been uploading to.

Soldato
I have a wireless network router, unprotected. Anyone could have used it.

Lets see them enforce something where the user is anonymous on a second level.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
lol that reminds me, when I went home over christmas, my family had bought a new wireless router. My brother, who 'thinks' he knows all with computers didn't encrypt the connection. To which I'd notice my neighbours were using wireless too - they more than likely could just use our connection.

5 minutes later and 128-bit WEP it's encrypted. Not really hard to do tbh.

Caporegime
Nix said:
lol that reminds me, when I went home over christmas, my family had bought a new wireless router. My brother, who 'thinks' he knows all with computers didn't encrypt the connection. To which I'd notice my neighbours were using wireless too - they more than likely could just use our connection.

5 minutes later and 128-bit WEP it's encrypted. Not really hard to do tbh.

mines not encrypted...

Associate
Ive not setup WEP on mine, just a MAC address filter. Each time I setup WEP the whole network just blaady dies!!

Reckon the MAC address filter would be enough to keep intruders out?

Sorry, dont want to turn this into a networking/wireless router thread but have been noticing sluggish internet performance for the last month or so. Worried now in case someones been leeching off my wireless network to download stuff like you folks are saying.

Hope not......

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Just my opinion here, but when it comes to routers you really shouldn't get second best. I dunno CLAWS mate, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom