**UK FIRST: DELL U2913WM SUPER-WIDE LED MONITOR NOW AVAILABLE!!**

Soldato
I was going to buy a dell ultrasharp 27" but I guess I should get one of these instead? Actually, I'd rather have the extra resolution on the 27" U2713HM than an extra 2 inches.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm Sorry to say this----Whoever buys this monitor at this STUPID price must be off their ROCKER!
Manufacturers have gone MAD!

Yes, because the only people who possess monitors in this world are gamers and movie fans. :rolleyes: I know this forum is probably 99.9% gamers and light users but it's getting pretty old hearing this same old line whenever some high-end gear gets posted or listed for sale here. "Dude dual Xeons are a waste of money! Skyrim doesn't even use that many cores lololol". It's no different than saying that people would be crazy to fly to France when they could jump on the ferry for a quarter of the price. Some people want/need to pay for the extra comfort and convenience. You're not one of them, which is fine, but please don't start insulting people who are. Also, pricing is not entirely down to the manufacturer and who in their right mind wouldn't charge a premium for premium products? Basic business and damned good business if you ask me.

As for this and any other high-end Dell screen:

1) it's far better quality than the competition
2) their warranty is second-to-none
3) factory certified calibration out of the box
4) the price is very reasonable considering the above

Soldato
Yes, because the only people who possess monitors in this world are gamers and movie fans. :rolleyes: I know this forum is probably 99.9% gamers and light users but it's getting pretty old hearing this same old line whenever some high-end gear gets posted or listed for sale here. "Dude dual Xeons are a waste of money! Skyrim doesn't even use that many cores lololol". It's no different than saying that people would be crazy to fly to France when they could jump on the ferry for a quarter of the price. Some people want/need to pay for the extra comfort and convenience. You're not one of them, which is fine, but please don't start insulting people who are. Also, pricing is not entirely down to the manufacturer and who in their right mind wouldn't charge a premium for premium products? Basic business and damned good business if you ask me.

As for this and any other high-end Dell screen:

1) it's far better quality than the competition
2) their warranty is second-to-none
3) factory certified calibration out of the box
4) the price is very reasonable considering the above

Mate I have been waiting for this monitor and the LG EA93 (whose panel this screen uses) since they were announced months ago but this is much more expensive than I was expecting, I know the LG model will be retailing at a bit less but its still a bit on the high side. Dell/LG seem to be using the fact that these two monitors are the only ones of their kind to try and price them as novelty 27"/2560x1440 screens instead of the extra wide high quality 23"/1920x1080 screens that they are. The fact this costs more than the U2713HM is just laughable.

Associate
Mate I have been waiting for this monitor and the LG EA93 (whose panel this screen uses) since they were announced months ago but this is much more expensive than I was expecting, I know the LG model will be retailing at a bit less but its still a bit on the high side. Dell/LG seem to be using the fact that these two monitors are the only ones of their kind to try and price them as novelty 27"/2560x1440 screens instead of the extra wide high quality 23"/1920x1080 screens that they are. The fact this costs more than the U2713HM is just laughable.

This, the 3011 and the 2711 are 10-bit screens, hence the higher price. That is a major, major benefit over the cheaper models. These screens are significantly better in terms of colour reproduction as a result.

Nothing to laugh about!

Associate
This, the 3011 and the 2711 are 10-bit screens, hence the higher price. That is a major, major benefit over the cheaper models. These screens are significantly better in terms of colour reproduction as a result.

Nothing to laugh about!

Is this Dell screen really 10-bit? I'm assuming that means it uses a wide colour gamut (which is crap for gaming!)... Maybe it won't be that great for gamers then (10-bit wide colour + 8ms response time :rolleyes:).

OcUK Staff
OP
Is this Dell screen really 10-bit? I'm assuming that means it uses a wide colour gamut (which is crap for gaming!)... Maybe it won't be that great for gamers then (10-bit wide colour + 8ms response time :rolleyes:).

From what I can gather its the same IPS technology as in the 30" and 27" panels. As such your best asking what users of those monitors feel about gaming ability.

When I had the 30" model, I found it find for games, but I am not a pro gamer as such.

Associate
From what I can gather its the same IPS technology as in the 30" and 27" panels. As such your best asking what users of those monitors feel about gaming ability.

When I had the 30" model, I found it find for games, but I am not a pro gamer as such.

Yes they're 10-bit but will only show 10-bit colour if you use a professional graphics card such as a quadro or firegl. If you use a regular geforce it will show 8-bit colour and won't have any issues with games.

But this monitor and all of Dell's top-tier monitors are not designed for gaming at all and would really be massively overkill for a gamer - that's what the 100-250 screens are made for. These top-tier Dells are designed for DCC professionals (graphic artists, animators, film-makers, artists etc.) and priced very well for that market.

By the way I've played BF3 on my U3011 and it kicks arse. I happen to use my gear to make money but I also game on them! I would never in a million years buy one of these purely to use for gaming. You'd be better off buying a 150-250 screen or something with a very low ms response time and spending the rest on a good gaming graphics card or holiday tbh. I know OCUK won't like me saying that but I'm sure they shift enough of these to business users not to mind that much... right Gibbo? :)

Soldato
It's rare for movies to be 16:9 these days.

2.35:1 (roughly 21:9) is much much more common.

For most movies, this screen would look absolutely fantastic and would have no bars at all.

TV is a different story, virtually all widescreen TV will be 16:9.

Are bluerays this also?
With black bars or what?

Monitor loosk lovely, but that ratio would take a bit of getting used to, my current, v old dell is 2407 or similar, lovely monitor, at 1920*1200 and I do like that res over the 1080s, but ho-hum, guess its just what I am used to.

Associate
Yes they're 10-bit but will only show 10-bit colour if you use a professional graphics card such as a quadro or firegl. If you use a regular geforce it will show 8-bit colour and won't have any issues with games.

My brother had a 10-bit HP IPS monitor (wide gamut) that he won at work a while ago (can't remember the model) and the colours looked over saturated and dark/shadowed areas in games were almost black (crushed blacks i think is the term used?)... This was with a Radeon 6850. The desktop looked perfectly fine to me though.

Soldato
Ooooerrr stock has landed and its on special this week only £479.99 that's a really good price considering the manufacturer has no stock to dispatch until febuary at the earliest.

Very well done on this one OcUk :D

Soldato
No its not, its for professional things far more than movies or games.

Not to say it wouldn't be a very nice option for movies instead of black bars if you sit at your computer to watch movies :p
I personally would love this thing for a movie monitor, only drawback is limited space :D, already have a 27 and a 24 taking up my entire desk ;p
Have the 27inch set up as movies/games only, and the 24 as general browsing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom