Poll: UK Gun Laws

Should civilians have access to weapons?

• Yes - Current law is fine, no changes needed

• No - Only "Professional" users can be licensed

• No - Remove all guns from Civilians

• Yes - Current laws are too restrictive

Results are only viewable after voting.

NVP

NVP

Soldato

The head teacher of Epsom College was shot dead by her husband, before he killed their daughter and took his own life with the same gun, police believe.

I'm sure this isn't the first case here where similar has happened.

Is there a case to be made for the removal of all guns from civilians?

Or perhaps if I word it another way, is there a legitimate case for a civilian to own a gun?

I can't see any argument that couldn't be resolved by a professional services who undergo tight control and yearly vetting etc.

Is there a case for guns to remain accessible to civilians?

Soldato

1.I'm sure this isn't the first case here where similar has happened.

2.Is there a case to be made for the removal of all guns from civilians?

3.Or perhaps if I word it another way, is there a legitimate case for a civilian to own a gun?

4.I can't see any argument that couldn't be resolved by a professional services who undergo tight control and yearly vetting etc.

5.Is there a case for guns to remain accessible to civilians?
1.Probably
2.No
3.Yes
4.Vetting is quite tight already
5.Yes

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm pro gun regulations but personally deeply against a small number of mad people resulting in an absolute ban on anything. At the end of the day this person it seems was set on killing his family and himself, likely would have done it one way or another.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm pro gun regulations but personally deeply against a small number of mad people resulting in an absolute ban on anything. At the end of they day this person it seems was set on killing his family and himself, likely would have done it one way or another.
You must hate everything in the world then, things get banned for people's safety, end of.

I'll await for any legitimate uses for civilians owning guns in this country.
As there is 100% an alternative.

Man of Honour
Wrong, those items have a legitimate use case for people across the entire country.
A gun does not.

Again, awaiting for legitimate reasons to own one.

I mean you could use that to justify limiting all cars to speeds that make it impossible (obviously could still crush them against something) to kill someone, maybe make it illegal to drive a car without someone walking in front waving a flag.

Soldato
Now bear with me here, I want this post to be specifically about the UK and not the US as the rules around gun control are obviously vastly different, and it also makes a lot of assumptions about the accused.

Sadly, my snap reaction to this is probably a failing of mental health services, UK gun control is pretty darn strict already (I know a family member who wants to get into clay Pidgeon shooting and it's a long drawn out process.), so my first assumption is that still men's mental health is not taken seriously enough and this guy has reached a point (for whatever reason) where he has though this was a reasonable thing to do.

Part of me thinks that if people want to take part in a hobby that requires a firearm, then they should be allowed to, given the correct regular checks are done.

Part of me thinks that guns are such instant killing machines that no person (let alone civilian) should ever be trusted with one.

Part of my thinks that these three people probably would have died anyway, whether a gun was involved or not. If my assumption that the guy had got to a point where this was an option, it could have been done with a knife or his bare hands anyway. It's this point I wanted to make the first sentence caveat about, as I see a lot of Americans making this argument but their gun control laws are absolutely baffling weak.

Man of Honour
As Rroff says, he would have found a way whether it be knife, strangulation etc. I highly doubt it would have ended any differently

One of the alternatives in this country for murder suicides is to drive head on with a HGV at speed amongst other things.

Back
Top Bottom