Poll: UK Gun Laws

Should civilians have access to weapons?

• Yes - Current law is fine, no changes needed

• No - Only "Professional" users can be licensed

• No - Remove all guns from Civilians

• Yes - Current laws are too restrictive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Man of Honour
Yup little crime in general in rural areas.

Apparently in this area the most common, and overall figures are low compared to urban areas, are arson and sexual offences... though the main crime I'm aware of in the area, though there doesn't seem to be any reports of it for 2022 for some reason, is people stealing Land/Range Rovers, horseboxes and trailers - they disappear instantly if you leave them unsecured :(

The area I live in is only behind Wales and Cumbria for density of gun ownership in England and Wales - an interesting thing is if you overlay the data for firearms and shotguns per 100K people on a map against firearms offences the relationship is almost fully inverse proportional with the highest offences in the areas with the lowest ownership (obviously reflecting urban vs rural in that but still).

Last edited:
Soldato
an interesting thing is if you overlay the data for firearms and shotguns per 100K people on a map against firearms offences the relationship is almost fully inverse proportional with the highest offences in the areas with the lowest ownership (obviously reflecting urban vs rural in that but still).

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Soldato
Apparently in this area the most common, and overall figures are low compared to urban areas, are arson and sexual offences... though the main crime I'm aware of in the area, though there doesn't seem to be any reports of it for 2022 for some reason, is people stealing Land/Range Rovers, horseboxes and trailers - they disappear instantly if you leave them unsecured :(

The area I live in is only behind Wales and Cumbria for density of gun ownership in England and Wales - an interesting thing is if you overlay the data for firearms and shotguns per 100K people on a map against firearms offences the relationship is almost fully inverse proportional with the highest offences in the areas with the lowest ownership (obviously reflecting urban vs rural in that but still).

I'm not sure that's causality fitting the data there.

If you live outside the sticks, then the number of shotgun owners that use them for purposes and sport tends to be higher than in built up areas. London for example probably has a low number of shotguns vs say Surrey or Yorkshire (taking into account the same number of people).

The fact that those in the city centres have a higher crime rate driven by non-gun related causes (ie cost of living, reasons for needing cash etc). Population density makes it an easier target for crime so makes it worth it for the criminals. If you look at farm thefts of equipment that is a good example where the centre of London will have low farm equipment theft but rural areas have high.. skews the figures..

Soldato
Today's news...

One of the replies was about this story...

"Tory MP blasts waiting for shotgun licence despite supporting big police budget cuts"

"Ian Liddell-Grainger lashes out after revealing he will miss out on the winter shooting season - but is told he had the option of not voting for steep cuts to police funding"

Back
Top Bottom