Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Definitely some interesting thoughts in there whether you agree with the conclusions or not. I definitely think the US is managing this crisis with an eye to the long term whether that follows the best path for Ukraine or not.

That is my worry (for the Ukrainian people). The Yanks are not bothered if Ukraine is made into another Syria but that it degrades Russian militarily. There will be lots of econstruction work which will go to American companies.

Soldato
I don't think the Russians have shown themselves to be that good.

We're allowing them to drain their resources.

These big countries can't defend themselves from attack. We should know that from WW2, or even the Iraq war.

We've allowed Russia to rumble on in to gangsterism because The West wanted a bogeyman. Now with a possible war with China on the horizon the bogeyman needs removing. For some reason Putin as fallen for the provocation to invade Ukraine. It wouldn't surprise me if he's been tricked on purpose.

Soldato
I don't think the Russians have shown themselves to be that good.

We're allowing them to drain their resources.

These big countries can't defend themselves from attack. We should know that from WW2, or even the Iraq war.

We've allowed Russia to rumble on in to gangsterism because The West wanted a bogeyman. Now with a possible war with China on the horizon the bogeyman needs removing. For some reason Putin as fallen for the provocation to invade Ukraine. It wouldn't surprise me if he's been tricked on purpose.

Nobody has provoked Russia, keep it simple. I know we are all armchair geopolitical experts with internet access but that’s a fantasy.

Soldato
No.This is the Fox news type version of events. No way Russia will attack NATO countries. They are nibbling at bits to see how far they can go.

One of the things mentioned was correct. The Yanks and their poodles the Brits want the war in Ukraine to last a while. This of course will destroy a lot of Ukraine but hey ho lots of construction contracts etc afterwards. These of course will go to the Yanks mainly with a few crumbs to the Brits but will make Ukraine another American colony because they will owe America/American companies so much money.

That's the whole point he's making, it's a slippery slope - you don't attack nato day one, you attack one place then get the west to accept it then another and another once you get the idea in the west's mind that they don't need to do anything it's easier to ignore it so if the west had decided to do nothing and leave Ukraine then put on can now attack something else and so forth and expect the same do nothing response and even when he attacks a nato country the others may say ah we don't care, remember that article 5 is just an agreement nothing stop any country from refusing to act I already can imagine there are several countries in nato who won't lift a finger even if Putin walked straight into Poland on 24 February

Permabanned
It concerns me we are doing a lot of talking but if it comes to it we badly need to ramp up our ability to respond both in man power, equipment and ability to manufacture vehicles, munitions and equipment.

Fortunately we aren't alone but as we've seen lately we will likely be holding the line while others get their **** in order.

That said any flashpoint involving Russia likely escalates to nuclear very fast.
We aren't what we were, this country needs to develop its own defense weapons. Rail guns are coming, but we really need to have are our rocket program. I can see massive research into intercept weapons

We need to create a two tier education system in this country free stem for all and everything everything else needs to be student loans.

Man of Honour
@CapitalOne and @Hades are on the ball this morning :)

I was meaning from his own side i.e. by people who want to get rid of him.
Possibly. But when I think back to that early video of Putin getting everyone to stand in front of whatever their parliament is called and announce their support for the invasion, it seems more likely to me that everyone was too scared to tell Putin not to do it. He's been convinced by yes men that Russia was strong enough and the time was right.

Soldato
Possibly. But when I think back to that early video of Putin getting everyone to stand in front of whatever their parliament is called and announce their support for the invasion, it seems more likely to me that everyone was too scared to tell Putin not to do it. He's been convinced by yes men that Russia was strong enough and the time was right.

It's less about time being right and more about declining power. People buy into the MSM narrative that East vs West is some King Kong battle and China and its puppet a Russia will take over the world. The truth is that both are failing countries and their governments know it, they have falling populations and their gdp/capita will never catch up with the west, their nominal gdp will start falling in the next decade and their military strength will start falling too - plainly put both Russia and China are at their peaks and its all downhill from here, they look and Japan and see themselves in a decade - the West doesn't have these problems and are just getting stronger.

So China and Russia realises that if it's going to try to prevent the inevitable collapse they must expand and capture new land hence we now have the wars they have and will start

Permabanned
It's less about time being right and more about declining power. People buy into the MSM narrative that East vs West is some King Kong battle and China and its puppet a Russia will take over the world. The truth is that both are failing countries and their governments know it, they have falling populations and their gdp/capita will never catch up with the west, their nominal gdp will start falling in the next decade and their military strength will start falling too - plainly put both Russia and China are at their peaks and its all downhill from here, they look and Japan and see themselves in a decade - the West doesn't have these problems and are just getting stronger.

So China and Russia realises that if it's going to try to prevent the inevitable collapse they must expand and capture new land hence we now have the wars they have and will start

Why is China failing? I thought they had been on the ball comparable to the West? Buying up Africa, the belt road trade thing, securing South China Sea etc.

Also, what would they stand to gain economically by annexing Taiwan? It'd just be a big pile of rubble when the smoke clears.

And are birth rates also a factor? They're in decline just about everywhere.

Soldato
That's the whole point he's making, it's a slippery slope - you don't attack nato day one, you attack one place then get the west to accept it then another and another once you get the idea in the west's mind that they don't need to do anything it's easier to ignore it so if the west had decided to do nothing and leave Ukraine then put on can now attack something else and so forth and expect the same do nothing response and even when he attacks a nato country the others may say ah we don't care, remember that article 5 is just an agreement nothing stop any country from refusing to act I already can imagine there are several countries in nato who won't lift a finger even if Putin walked straight into Poland on 24 February

That argument was only valid when Crimea was annexed but the reaction of the West and others to the Ukrainian invasion makes his arguments wrong. Your assertion that a NATO country being invaded would not provoke a strong response is laughable. If NATO. which as you say is a defensive alliance refused to act, then NATO would dissolve as its primary purpose is to go to the aid of its members. America has had, since WW2, the principle that any war with Russia should be on European soil.

Soldato
Why is China failing? I thought they had been on the ball comparable to the West? Buying up Africa, the belt road trade thing, securing South China Sea etc.

Also, what would they stand to gain economically by annexing Taiwan? It'd just be a big pile of rubble when the smoke clears.

And are birth rates also a factor? They're in decline just about everywhere.

Demographics are going to hit china in a big way: they are desperately trying to get rich before they get old. The fallout from the one child policy will essentially mean that the working age population is going to have to support a retired population twice their size and also their own children. Other countries have a higher birth rate and also accept a level of immigration to keep workers coming in. I can't see china accepting mass immigration unless the diaspora decides to return home - which I can't see happening, most are several generations past since leaving china.

Man of Honour

I agree about Russia. But with the West pumping billions of dollars into China every year I doubt China will be failing any time soon. If anything the USA's time as the per-eminent superpower is coming to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom