Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Daughter of Putin's spokesperson posted anti-war message:

Also, re: this:
Some reports that they're feeling a bit disillusioned, I'd perhaps take these with a pinch of salt though it's worth remembering that back in Soviet times it wasn't uncommon for Russian troops from say the far East being sent to Hungary or (then) Czechoslovakia would be shocked to find that they weren't welcomed as fellow comrades/liberators upon arrival:

Seems to be more updates on this, claims that Russian soldiers were initially told they were just going to the border for military drills:

Soldato
Would hope in the heat of it I'd have the balls to do it. Tough decision with a family, but if you think about what our ancestors gave in previous world wars...

:(

I'd like to think I would stay personally. Seeing my country fall into the terrible state it was a decade ago. Looking at my children having in the back of my mind I could have at least tried (assuming I fled). No shame in running. Some friends have only just got into Poland after being on the move for 2 days.

I think maybe there isn't really a big push until as many civilians as possible are out of Kyiv. Leveling Kyiv with women and children still there would mean no coming back for Putin - on any level in any arena. He'll wait until it's only those with a gun in their hand then give an ultimatum to surrender or die.

Hard to say living in a country with a different system and culture and values but it seems a bit "off" to me.

Just a different culture. Nothing sinister, just incredibly patriotic.

Caporegime
oh man this could get messy, they really should just surrender. nobody wants to see ordinary civillians going up against trained soldiers

No, they shouldn't just surrender, no one wants to see Russia take over their country. Some of the Russian troops are well trained, others are a bit green/conscripts etc.. Ukrainians have been training too, this has been a risk.

Ideally every Russian soldier over there should be worried that they'll have people taking shots at them at random wherever they go.

Associate
To be honest I'm surprised that in barely over 24 hours of the conflict the Ukrainian president has asked citizens to use Molotov's and ak47 against the Russian army etc.

It's terrible what's happening but I don't think a responsible government would ask this of their citizens

Hard to say living in a country with a different system and culture and values but it seems a bit "off" to me.

rp2000

We did exactly that during world war 2, the napoleanic wars etc, and i'm if we were in that situation again the same would happen here

Caporegime
We did exactly that during world war 2, the napoleanic wars etc, and i'm if we were in that situation again the same would happen here
I genuinely think it wouldn't in this day and age in the UK, but as a nuclear power I very much doubt either of us will ever be tested in this way regardless.

It's more of a hypothetical then Putin attacking any NATO countries any time soon :p

rp2000

Soldato
Yes they probably have clauses for special circumstances to do exactly this

I personally would like to see us fast track Finland right now and call Russia on their bluff or not, question is does NATO have the stomach to call that bluff

Finland claims they have an 'option' to join NATO as if pre-approved like a credit card. Commentators have said that is nonsense and they have to apply and meet the criteria just as any other country would. Crucially Finland meets the 2% GDP spending on defence. Sweden doesn't and doesn't seem to have any ambition to.

Soldato
Because if we went in and help no-one would have died, right?
I don't know how you got that from my post but that wasn't what I was insinuating.

What I was implying is that NATO said something in those meetings that gave the Ukraine leader some sort of idea or thought that NATO is going to save them because it makes no sense for Ukraine to literally fight to the death.

Soldato
The West should call Ukraines leader a coward and tell him to hit the streets with a rifle, if he wants stop anyone 18-60 leaving and forcing them into conscription to save his own skin.

Ukraine government can carry on without him, who needs a leader like that

He is asking them to fight for their country. He hasn't fled abroad, Boris would have been kicking children off the plane to make room for himself if it was happening here. Imagine if Churchill had just caved in 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom