Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Hmm European Parliment are saying that they are working with Ukraine in joining the EU.....

Not sure that's a good idea at the moment?

What do you mean? It was all true, it's ok to say "you won't get anywhere with that" the problem is people aren't getting anywhere with normal words either.

I didn't say it wasn't true, I said she's not thinking in making a No fly zone, which will end up with World War 3!

Associate
A large number of diplomats walked out today from a UN meeting during a speech by Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov as he was trying to justify their attack on Ukraine.
4562.jpg

Caporegime
Hopefully Finland joins NATO soon as it will invite an absolutely apoplectic reaction with the ultranationalists in Russia who will have just lost one of their claims.

Soldato
Every day this situation seems more bizarre. It's become a proxy war in all but name.

We're basically all banking on Putin being deposed at this point, he won't back down. The longer this goes on - the more Russia's economy dies, the more losses the Russian army take, the more likely Putin is to lash out within Ukraine and raze cities to the ground.

Or, the West is going to have to call his bluff, but then we stand on the brink of WW3, who wants that?

I think Putin was banking on a quick flight into the city and the army in Ukraine deposing their leader, quite the opposite happened.
Now we want mild escalation, economic collapse, and a Putin deposition.
Only way I see him leaving is dead.

Man of Honour
Is there any proof he hasn't deployed regulars? As far as I can tell people are just basing that off of anecdotal video clips with young looking, poorly equipped soldiers...but typically most soldiers will be in their early twenties, conscripted or not. It seems just as likely that the Russian military is simply in a poor state and that their 'new' kit isn't widespread/all that new. Their military budget is (depending on source) $50-90bn, which needs to support an enormous amount of ageing equipment and ~6000 nukes. Even if they are mostly conscripts I think it's probably more because they don't have much better to send in (or can't afford to lose those troops as they are relatively few in number) than a conscious choice to send in cannon fodder.

There are some regulars - you don't just jump into a tank and start driving it into battle, etc. and those behind the lines operating artillery, etc. - but it is bulked out with a lot of irregular and new soldiers and equipment put back into service rather than using existing active stock. It has been tracked by OSINT for awhile now.

Soldato
Why is Putin such a Covid bedwetter?
For over 25 years he’s projected the image of a bare-chested, macho hardman. Yet now he looks like a neurotic wimp

After two years of mask-wearing, social distancing and lockdowns, most people are determined to get back to normal. One public figure, however, still seems to be living in abject terror of the virus.

Vladimir Putin.

According to a report in a Sunday newspaper, fear of Covid has turned Putin into a paranoid near-recluse. “Ultra-strict measures to protect Putin from coronavirus,” we read, “mean that the majority of his meetings take place either across absurdly long tables or by video link.” As if that didn’t seem neurotic enough, “Many of those who meet him face to face have to spend two weeks in self-isolation beforehand.” And, most bemusingly of all, “Moscow officials are obliged to provide faecal samples several times a week to ensure they do not infect Putin.”

Some may find it hard to imagine a world leader sternly inspecting a Tupperware container of his staff’s stools, like an ex-KGB Gillian McKeith. But, in case, I find it perfectly believable. We’ve all seen the photos of his preposterous tables, designed to keep him at least 20 feet from whoever he’s talking to. It’s a wonder he doesn’t supply each guest with a loudhailer. We’ve also seen the similarly absurd photo of him having a drink in the Kremlin with the president of Azerbaijan. Well, I say “with”. Despite being the only two people in the room, they’re separated by a rug the size of Poland.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2022/03/01/putin-covid-bedwetter/

Anyone know what his user name is as he must be a heavy user of the OC covid sub forum? :D

Soldato
Jesus the hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous now, all the talks of nukes etc is nonsense. If you are panicking this much maybe you should take a break from reading/watching about the war all day and go for a walk or something

Caporegime
How on earth does Putin expect to hold Ukraine :confused:

This isn't a situation where the majority want Zelensky gone and the Russians to come in.

I can't see the Ukraine people ever lying down and accepting a Russian regime.
Me either. It makes no sense. Again. If he's on his death bed and wants one last go at the west maybe he literally doesn't care?

Man of Honour
At some point Putin, or people close to him, need to start worrying about what **we** will do.

He's not the only one with a military. He's not the only one with Nukes.

What you describe is the situation Russia has been in for decades. It's part of what lead to the armed conflict this thread is about.

Soldato
Hmm European Parliment are saying that they are working with Ukraine in joining the EU.....

Not sure that's a good idea at the moment?

I didn't say it wasn't true, I said she's not thinking in making a No fly zone, which will end up with World War 3!

My partner had a good point re joining the EU being a negotiating tactic with Russia - as in something that could be stopped/removed.

Capodecina
Soldato
Jesus the hyperbole in this thread is ridiculous now, all the talks of nukes etc is nonsense. If you are panicking this much maybe you should take a break from reading/watching about the war all day and go for a walk or something

It's not hyperbole.

It's what everyone is trying to avoid because it would happen if we intervene with troops.

To ignore that is sticking your head in the sand. The WHOLE way the West is playing it is to avoid nukes while at the same time disabling Russia financially. It is the key issue here and it shouldn't be the elephant in the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom