Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't think its dementia, its just he's thick as **** and will get sucked in to believing utter nonsense. He's been spouting such rubbish for decades now. He wasn't fit to be POTUS 30 years ago and never will be. The only crisis in his whole presidency and he managed to balls it up in epic fashion. A shallow mind in a shallow man.
Bush said just as much. He tried to get chummy with him then realised that his world view was so far from reality that he quickly distanced himself.

Soldato
One of my technology buys in the 1970's was a Russian brand short/med/long waveband radio set. Portable but weighed a ton, efficient but with 1950's juke box styling. I expect it came in on the back of a fishing boat as a grey import. I did keep it for a number of years though as it was reliable unlike a Lada.

My parents owned a portable radio with SW that used to be able to pick up Radio Moscow's english language broadcast back in the days of the USSR that I used to listen to occcasionally out of curiosity all the RT stuff lately reminded me of that, I think that was a russian model too

Soldato
Caporegime
Russia's army may be struggling more then expected in Ukraine, but they are still plenty capable of turning the planet into dust with their nuclear arsenal.

Putin/Russia have just as much to lose in a nuclear war. The West cannot invade Russia; it can protect civilians in Ukraine. We should declare humanitarian corridors (or wait to the next time Russia declares ones), send air power to protect them, and tell Russia that if they shoot on that air power then we will enter the war on Ukraine's side. We should declare the same for the use of Chemical/Biological/Nuclear weapons.

Eventually the West will go to war with Russia; the only decision is how long we wait before doing so - and thus how much of Ukraine we let get levelled.

Caporegime
He just has to say 'nuclear' and we'll back down or that's what he thinks, I believe, and that is dangerous.

Up untill he directly attacks a NATO countty, then yes we will back down.

If he directly attacks a NATO country, NATO will respond with conventional weapons, if he then escalates, that is on him.

Soldato
Putin/Russia have just as much to lose in a nuclear war. The West cannot invade Russia; it can protect civilians in Ukraine. We should declare humanitarian corridors (or wait to the next time Russia declares ones), send air power to protect them, and tell Russia that if they shoot on that air power then we will enter the war on Ukraine's side. We should declare the same for the use of Chemical/Biological/Nuclear weapons.

Eventually the West will go to war with Russia; the only decision is how long we wait before doing so - and thus how much of Ukraine we let get levelled.
This is my thinking too given what I have heard, but I'm not an expert. I don't like the way this is going under our current strategy.

Caporegime

The ONLY end to that is total world wide destruction.

There is no half way house, if the West EVER goes to war with Russia.

It is completely suicidal if the West ever intervenes directly with a first strike.

Soldato

There's absolutely zero chance NATO will go to war with Russia, which is what you're talking about.

There'll be all sorts of brinkmanship and 'red lines' and big words....but we won't actually go to war.

Ultimately, we will let Putin flatten Ukraine....then we will end Russia as a major power through economic warfare.

Caporegime
Up untill he directly attacks a NATO countty, then yes we will back down.

Every time we back down, or weak sauce, our response; the chance of Russia starting a major conflict steps up a notch. Had the West acted decisively over Crimea, Russia would not be in Ukraine right now. There's a slim chance sanctions will be enough to teach Putin a lesson - and I certainly think the unanimity of response has caught Russia by surprise - but I doubt it. Russia is weak, and Putin knows it, but he must keep on convincing people he is strong to maintain his gangster state. The combined West is a vastly stronger power than Russia, and Putin knows he must avoid that confrontation or be ruined.

Soldato
The ONLY end to that is total world wide destruction.

There is no half way house, if the West EVER goes to war with Russia.

It is completely suicidal if the West ever intervenes directly with a first strike.
It seems nuclear weapons don't keep us safe after all, they allow authoritarians to act with impunity and put us all in danger and we can do nothing to stop them.

Associate
He could flatten the whole of Ukraine, and kill every living being in the country, we (UK or NATO) will never go in.

How people cannot get that is beyond me.

Is it really beyond you to understand that there are a significant number of people that would rather we take the risk of a nuclear war to prevent that from happening?
Ultimately governments execute the will of the people. If enough people desire a policy change and particularly if the the war lasts long enough for that to follow through into changes in representatives, then it could happen.

Caporegime
Is it really beyond you to understand that there are a significant number of people that would rather we take the risk of a nuclear war to prevent that from happening?
Ultimately governments execute the will of the people. If enough people desire a policy change and particularly if the the war lasts long enough for that to follow through into changes in representatives, then it could happen.

Another point on this: when 4, 5, maybe even 10 million Ukrainian refugees are spread across Europe that is an awful lot of people who will have refugees in their homes, or meet them through their neighbours, schools and workplaces. The strength of feeling will grow as the stories of what happened in Ukraine are spread across the continent.

Caporegime

It would have to happen in every NATO country, as no single country can respond without all agreeing.

Every NATO countries government would have to agree the threat of a few billion being killed is better than a few million loosing their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom