Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The whole situation is very strange - from our western point of view. On face value it looks like a colossal mistake on every level from Putin. But other world views are available. I guess Russia is one of the richest counties in the world, on a per capita basis, taking into account the actual important stuff; energy, land, minerals, chemicals, water etc (climate vulnerability too?). Sure the UK and EU have huge GDP on paper, but sooo much of that is fairly pointless fluff, or 100% dependent on those energy, land, minerals, chemicals, water etc. resources we are fairly short of (especially on a per capita basis).

In the post collapse, post industrial, post globalisation, climate breakdown world, driven by scarcity economics, maybe Russia doesn't look so daft? Murderous yes, but not irrational?

Have we, the west, simply misjudged the real state of the world? We're still acting like it's 1990 when Russia is positioning for 2030?

Caporegime
Russia will begin to succumb to institutional problems sometime in the 2030's due in some part to their distinct lack of a knowledge economy, having all the minerals in the world really doesn't matter if it's not invested back into the people.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The whole situation is very strange - from our western point of view. On face value it looks like a colossal mistake on every level from Putin. But other world views are available. I guess Russia is one of the richest counties in the world, on a per capita basis, taking into account the actual important stuff; energy, land, minerals, chemicals, water etc (climate vulnerability too?). Sure the UK and EU have huge GDP on paper, but sooo much of that is fairly pointless fluff, or 100% dependent on those energy, land, minerals, chemicals, water etc. resources we are fairly short of (especially on a per capita basis).

In the post collapse, post industrial, post globalisation, climate breakdown world, driven by scarcity economics, maybe Russia doesn't look so daft? Murderous yes, but not irrational?

Have we, the west, simply misjudged the real state of the world? We're still acting like it's 1990 when Russia is positioning for 2030?

:p No. Russia has a ******* awful economy considering its size and population. Based on its natural resources it should be one of the richest and biggest economies in the world and its smaller than the UKs. They have a population twice our size, a GDP just over half our size and the vast majority of that money comes from their natural resources. They are an example in how to make nothing out of something. Of how to have everything going for you in life and end up on the streets.

The invasion of Ukraine should also perhaps tell you how powerful Russia are these days outside of their nukes. If they didn't have nukes they would have been put back in their box painfully by now.

Putin has massively miscalculated and made a mess of this.

Associate

You know how the military like to run simulations and what-ifs? Well, the calculations for climate models for Russian Federation actually show them gaining.

Well, some of that modelling it may be somewhat optimistic but then there was that gem in this thread about the FSB analysts about a what-ifs about invading the Ukraine and it was hopelessly optimistic but who wants to tells the like of Putin bad news? Telling the truth is a dangerous thing and won't get you promoted. He's not gone full Stalin or Hitler but he does seem to be surrounded by yes-men.

Resource-wise RF is pretty rich, but kleptocracy and mafia-like thinking has become to embedded that even the simpler things like resource extractions are suffering. Anything which requires more independent thinking, longer-term visions has suffered. Why build up something when some mafia then comes along gets such a big cut for doing nothing? Plus, the vast amount of scientists and engineers the USSR used to turn out is long history.

Soldato
The whole situation is very strange - from our western point of view. On face value it looks like a colossal mistake on every level from Putin. But other world views are available. I guess Russia is one of the richest counties in the world, on a per capita basis, taking into account the actual important stuff; energy, land, minerals, chemicals, water etc (climate vulnerability too?).

It's hard to know what his endgame was. When the forces were building up prior to the rebel regions declaring independence it looked like a clear threat don't interfere or else. Which kind of made sense whn you were annexe a portion of another country.

If he'd blitzkrieg'd his way to Kiev in 5 days and taken the capital that might have worked but was dicey from the outset but given their level of preparation was a joke. I get the concept of wanting a neutral de-militarised Ukraine that's kind of understandable. Unless the topple Kiev quickly was his rationale for war and it just failed I just don't get what the war is supposed to achieve.

It is having a lot of secondary effects and strategic realignment but those couldn't have been the aims, more responses.

Soldato
God I am wishing that Ukraine would smash into the rear at Mariupol. I think it's lost there
One of the analysts on Sky News said the nearest Ukrainian army unit was around 60 miles away from Mariupol. So far the Ukrainian generals and senior leadership have made all the right moves, if they thought they could break the siege they would have done it by now. But consider the fact that Mariupol is holding up 3 Russian army divisions which takes pressure of the the other fronts and allows Ukraine to mobilise reserves, train new soldiers and resupply with new weapons from NATO. Given how the level casualties the Russian's have been taking even if they take Maripol who's to say that what remains of those army groups is in any fit state to take on another offensive?

Associate
Has there been number given for how many fighters Ukraine have now? I know the active military is like ~200k but wondered how many it is now with people who stayed to fight.

Soldato
One of the analysts on Sky News said the nearest Ukrainian army unit was around 60 miles away from Mariupol. So far the Ukrainian generals and senior leadership have made all the right moves, if they thought they could break the siege they would have done it by now. But consider the fact that Mariupol is holding up 3 Russian army divisions which takes pressure of the the other fronts and allows Ukraine to mobilise reserves, train new soldiers and resupply with new weapons from NATO. Given how the level casualties the Russian's have been taking even if they take Maripol who's to say that what remains of those army groups is in any fit state to take on another offensive?

Yeah, just looked at the combat map, and Mariupol is right between two massive Russian held areas. Ukraine isn't getting that back anytime soon.

Soldato
Soldato
I was watching the Beth Rigby interview with Mikhail Khodorkovsky today ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX6ISz0FotU ).

Khodorkovsky is saying what I've been saying previously on the thread, that unless we're going to set some red lines then Putin is going to continue to press us. He's like a bully. No bully can be reasoned with when you're in a fight with them.

We didnt do anything when Putin invaded Crimea. We didn't do anything when he ordered a chemical attack in our NATO country. By not reacting we're inviting him to keep moving forward.

The West needs to be more pro-active and stop being afraid of a nuclear war. We're making it more likely by our non-action. The more Ukraine fights back and defends itself the more likely Putin is going to use more devastating weapons, chemical attacks, nukes etc. We have to start setting rules now before Putin makes his move. At the moment we're following Putins lead.

I can understand that we don't want to use nukes. But the best way to avoid a nuke war is for Putin to think we'll use them on him. We need to be threatening him. That will weaken his position and give the people around him more of a reason to remove him from office.

Zelensky is right, the west as been too slow and too weak in its response. We need to start issuing threats. The first one I'd say is for Moldova. If Russian forces go in to Moldova we will attack them. The same with Finland and Sweden. They might not be NATO members but we need to send a clear message that NATO isn't going to stand by and let Russia attack them. Sadly we've missed getting ahead of Putin in Ukraine because of indecision.

Caporegime
I was watching the Beth Rigby interview with Mikhail Khodorkovsky today ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX6ISz0FotU ).

Khodorkovsky is saying what I've been saying previously on the thread, that unless we're going to set some red lines then Putin is going to continue to press us. He's like a bully. No bully can be reasoned with when you're in a fight with them.

We didnt do anything when Putin invaded Crimea. We didn't do anything when he ordered a chemical attack in our NATO country. By not reacting we're inviting him to keep moving forward.

The West needs to be more pro-active and stop being afraid of a nuclear war. We're making it more likely by our non-action. The more Ukraine fights back and defends itself the more likely Putin is going to use more devastating weapons, chemical attacks, nukes etc. We have to start setting rules now before Putin makes his move. At the moment we're following Putins lead.

I can understand that we don't want to use nukes. But the best way to avoid a nuke war is for Putin to think we'll use them on him. We need to be threatening him. That will weaken his position and give the people around him more of a reason to remove him from office.

Zelensky is right, the west as been too slow and too weak in its response. We need to start issuing threats. The first one I'd say is for Moldova. If Russian forces go in to Moldova we will attack them. The same with Finland and Sweden. They might not be NATO members but we need to send a clear message that NATO isn't going to stand by and let Russia attack them. Sadly we've missed getting ahead of Putin in Ukraine because of indecision.

Exactly.

Nuke em all and let God sort them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom