Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Someone who understands economics better than me had better explain this one to me. Why is the Ruble trading so high?
Pegged to gold, EU buying oil in Rubble's and central bank manipulating can't last long.
Oil money come In, less money going out on imports.

Soldato
Someone who understands economics better than me had better explain this one to me. Why is the Ruble trading so high?

FX market rates in medium and short term are a result of flows, in simple terms supply and demand. Longer term fundamentals should work (ie different in real rates, inflation, balance of payments) but they really don't.

So FX rate can be floating, pegged or target a certain band. Rouble was free floating with market demand and supply doing the heavy lifting for the price discovery. Even though Russia is a next exporter (which in theory should lead to appreciating stronger currency) its currency was undervalued according to PPP metric by about 2/3 of its value.

Come in effect sanctions that freeze Russia's central banks foreign reserves (accumulated USD,EUR and other basket of currencies invested in various fixed income assets across the world) as well as introducing swift bans and other measures that in effect. That causes a huge capital flight out of the country, everybody who can rushes to convert their roubles into other currencies. Demand for rouble is zero. Central bank has its reserves frozen and cannot use it to stabilise the FX rate. Rouble starts collapsing.

Russian government and central bank enact certain laws and rules so as to prevent the capital flight. 80% of foreign currency income has to be converted into rouble. Citizen cannot convert more than $10k USD (flat number, not per month or year) until a certain date ( I don't remember which).

A lot of people online seem to resort to copium that rouble appreciation is artificial but in reality rouble depreciation was also artificial. There's an economic war going on.

As Russia has introduced capital controls it has all the ability to set up any rouble rate it wants, it is not longer a function of a free market price discovery.

Once again, a lot of people not familiar with economics are looking to see the effect of the economic war on the exchange rate but it is not productive. If you want to see sanctions damage then look at GDP forecast growth. At the moment it is expected that the Russia economy will contract by 10% but the situation is very fluid and may change dramatically demanding how things will unfold and whether more heavy sanctions and or oil embargo will hit. (in case of historical analysis I do not remember figures exactly but roughly it was estimated that 2014 sanctions against Russia caused about 1.5-2.5% of GDP loss per year for Russia).

Soldato
Username checks out. You've clearly forgotten about the rapes and murders by Russian soldiers as civilians have tried to leave for other "humanitarian" corridors. Many that did managed to get out where shipped off to Russia.

https://inews.co.uk/news/first-civi...orks-hundreds-still-living-underneath-1605072

UN said it has worked with Red Cross, Russia and Ukraine on efforts to evacuate civilians from the Azovstal plant

Doesn't mention those who got freed from Azov got raped. There was some mention of Ukrainians at risk of rape and trafficking when escaping Ukraine but people seemed offended when i brought that up.

Last edited:
Soldato
They werent held there. They couldnt get out. Have you seen the reports of people people trapper there and the Russians not allowing them safe passage out?

Obviously not!
Not everyone agrees with the views of the people here.

Seriously? Are you for real, they moved they got shelled.

Russia did their best to wipe them out, or do you think they ony pretended to constantly shell the place to destroy them?
According to the UN they worked with Russia to help evacuate the civilians,

Please explain to me where exactly the civilians were meant to go? They were completely surrounded.
the village of Bezimenne in the Donetsk Region

Soldato
*French President Macron Told Putin About His Deep Concerns With Regards to Situation in Donbas, Mariupol - Elysee
*French President Macron Told Putin That He Wants to Discuss With Interntional Organisations Lifting Russian Embargo on Ukraine and Food Exports in the Black Sea - Elysee
*French President Macron Told Putin That Ceasefire Was Needed in Ukraine - Elysee
*French President Macron Told Putin That Russia Must Live Up to Its International Responsibility As UN Security Council Member, End Devastating Attack - Elysee

*Governor of Ukraine’s Donetsk Region: At Least 10 Killed, 15 Wounded by Russian Shelling of Avdiivka Coking Plant

Soldato
Suggest you re-read the UNs statements as you clearly don't understand them. Either that or you're trolling.
Don't need to

This is the sub-heading of the article.

Zelensky said around 100 people had been freed, as the UN said it has worked with Red Cross, Russia and Ukraine on efforts to evacuate civilians from the Azovstal plant

They travelled on buses with Ukrainian number plates in a convoy with Russian forces and vehicles with United Nations symbols.

Caporegime
Don't need to

This is the sub-heading of the article.

Zelensky said around 100 people had been freed, as the UN said it has worked with Red Cross, Russia and Ukraine on efforts to evacuate civilians from the Azovstal plant

They travelled on buses with Ukrainian number plates in a convoy with Russian forces and vehicles with United Nations symbols.
You really do need to. The UN have been trying for a month now. This is very clear from statements on their website. These previous attempts resulted in shelling of the civilians by the Russians.

Soldato
"The enemy* is dropping bombs on the heads of innocent children in Mariupol"

*The "enemy" - that'd be Russia, since you seem hard of thinking.
So you dont like my posts, why the insults?

I said Not everyone agrees with the views of the people here as to suggest he read the comments from somewhere other than overclockers.

Soldato
You really do need to. The UN have been trying for a month now. This is very clear from statements on their website. These previous attempts resulted in shelling of the civilians by the Russians.
The post you replied to of mine stated that the UN worked with Russians to help evacuate the civilians, I've even provided a link to prove this. Rather than tell me to re-read the article you could just point out where the article is telling lies.

Caporegime
The post you replied to of mine stated that the UN worked with Russians to help evacuate the civilians, I've even provided a link to prove this. Rather than tell me to re-read the article you could just point out where the article is telling lies.
Your original point was that people had not allowed anyone to leave. You've then tried to claim that it wasn't the Russians. That is the delusion you seem to hold.

Soldato
Your original point was that people had not allowed anyone to leave. You've then tried to claim that it wasn't the Russians. That is the delusion you seem to hold.
Well if you had an issue with that then why not quote that and make your reply in regards to that ?
It seems rather silly to quote a different post and start talking about custard and what you had for your tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom