• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£££ UK's CHEAPEST 1080TI & ITS A GOOD ONE, ALL BLACK, OVERCLOCKED, TRIPLE FAN & 3YR WARRANTY !!

Soldato
This is why now the drivers and games you can CAP the FPS because if it is like doing 300FPS plus there will always be some audible coil whine, I would typically just limit the FPS to the refresh rate of the monitor.

^ This, I simply dont get playing with uncapped framerates.

On FPS it apparently reduces input latency which I expect is mainly placebo affect in it been noticeable by a human, and in other genres I expect is no benefit whatsoever.

Soldato
^ This, I simply dont get playing with uncapped framerates.

On FPS it apparently reduces input latency which I expect is mainly placebo affect in it been noticeable by a human, and in other genres I expect is no benefit whatsoever.

Definitely not placebo, I play overwatch at 200fps.

If I limit to 60 fps it's really laggy.

Soldato
Definitely not placebo, I play overwatch at 200fps.

If I limit to 60 fps it's really laggy.
Really laggy is a stretch but I see what you mean. I do think anything over 100 gets a bit pointless tho. How people cope with 30 FPS is beyond me however.
And how on earth did I play Geoff crammond f1gp on the Amiga at 8 FPS?

Soldato
60fps with vsync on is 16.7ms
60fps with vsync off is 16.7ms unless your monitor cannot sync to a multiple of 60hz.

So even tho they both 16.7ms between each frame one is more laggy than the other? deffo placebo.

150fps is 6.7ms, so you can pick up noticeable 10ms of frame processing time? to put in context that is 1 100th of a second.

Its adapting.

Really laggy is a stretch but I see what you mean. I do think anything over 100 gets a bit pointless tho. How people cope with 30 FPS is beyond me however.
And how on earth did I play Geoff crammond f1gp on the Amiga at 8 FPS?

If I play for hours at 30fps, then switch the game to 60, things will feel weird sort of like they fast forward and too smooth. But then after say 5 minutes I Adapt and feels normal, then if I switch to 30 it will feel weird, and sort of jerky. But again after 5 minutes I adapt and is fine.
I have also tried from 60 to 120, I feel if I look really hard and sort of analyse it with a lot of effort 120 maybe feels ever so slightly smoother, but I definitely do not immediately pick up on it like swapping between 30 and 60. The bit I really struggle to understand how players of twitch shooters are saying their response times are better at super high framerates, I struggle to understand how a human body has that kind of responsiveness.

Last edited:
Soldato
60fps with vsync off is 16.7ms unless your monitor cannot sync to a multiple of 60hz.

So even tho they both 16.7ms between each frame one is more laggy than the other? deffo placebo.

150fps is 6.7ms, so you can pick up noticeable 10ms of frame processing time? to put in context that is 1 100th of a second.

Its adapting.

If I play for hours at 30fps, then switch the game to 60, things will feel weird sort of like they fast forward and too smooth. But then after say 5 minutes I Adapt and feels normal, then if I switch to 30 it will feel weird, and sort of jerky. But again after 5 minutes I adapt and is fine.
I have also tried from 60 to 120, I feel if I look really hard and sort of analyse it with a lot of effort 120 maybe feels ever so slightly smoother, but I definitely do not immediately pick up on it like swapping between 30 and 60. The bit I really struggle to understand how players of twitch shooters are saying their response times are better at super high framerates, I struggle to understand how a human body has that kind of responsiveness.

The difference is much larger than you think.

Overwatch at 60hz vsync on is around 100ms lag but is actually half that at 144hz vsync on.

Vsync off uncapped would drop a load more again.

You can read all about it here if you want and look at the difference between the different framerates and different syncs.
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/3/

Soldato

Its adapting.

For me it I find racing games actually make me feel a bit ill at 30fps . I 1st noticed it with dirt 2 on the Xbox. I would play that and feel a bit queesy after 30-60 mins but could play Forza all day long. Then I upgraded my pc and got dirt for that and had no issues.
But then like I said I played F1gp and stunt car racer back un the day for hrs on end and was fine. (Single digit FPS untill I got my A1200 or pc)
No idea if this has any scientific basis but I wonder if it is lower frame rate combined with big screen gaming. I didn't play F1gp on my Amiga on a 70inch screen..... More like 14 inch !

Soldato
Right ok, thanks. So basically vsync on delays input processing until the vsync completed, with it off it accepts input processing at any time, or at least at smaller intervals.

I probably do agree on the bigger screen theory, I remember when I originally played zesteria on my 22" 1050p screen I didnt notice the effects of motion blur, I got my benq 24" 1440p and thought the monitor had bigger lag.
Then I went back and forth between the two screens, and after analysis realised it was present on the dell 1050p, but because of the smaller screen (and perhaps also smaller res), I wasnt picking up on it. At 60fps there is no motion blur at least not visible but at 30fps if you turn your view round right at start of game, you sort of can see lag between on each frame been processed and the visible changes on screen, its hard to explain, apparently monitors that have motion blur reduction modes such as ULMB can mitigate this. I had played the game multiple times on the dell and not noticed it but did on the benq, I think the benq is slightly slower pixel response times, but I think the main reason I was noticing it more was due to the bigger screen, but after a while I did adapt and it stopped bothering me. That particular game has timing issues if you play at 60fps, so I played it at 30fps (it was designed for 30fps on consoles and the dev's had timers tied to framerate).

Soldato
Hi
I am just wondering how folks are getting on overclocking this GPU. Maybe I just lost the silicon lottery however in afterburner I can't even put 120 MHz on the core without it hard locking within 10min. (200mhz it hard locks as soon as I hit apply)

I will fully check but I think it is ok at stock.

I haven't looked into too much I just put the power option to 115% (tried 120 too) and upped the clocks. Am I missing something? If not I guess I am stuck with stock. Am not bothering faffing about running extra programs for an extra 50mhz!

This is with 416.34 drivers, I have a Corsair 650w gold PSU.... But I don't think it's that anyway as runs ok stock (I think)

Thanks

Soldato
Hi
I am just wondering how folks are getting on overclocking this GPU. Maybe I just lost the silicon lottery however in afterburner I can't even put 120 MHz on the core without it hard locking within 10min. (200mhz it hard locks as soon as I hit apply)

I haven't looked into too much I just put the power option to 115% (tried 120 too) and upped the clocks. Am I missing something? If not I guess I am stuck with stock. Am not bothering faffing about running extra programs for an extra 50mhz!

This is with 416.34 drivers, I have a Corsair 650w gold PSU.... But I don't think it's that anyway as runs ok stock (I think)

Thanks

Learn to use the voltage curve its more optimal and should allow you to get past the issue you have.
ctrl-f to open the voltage UI, there is a few guides on the net for using it.

Associate
Hi

Thanks

What temps are you getting?

I bought the Aoros and was having a lot of problems till I realised it was getting too hot because the default fan profile is too conservative. It really doesn't like going over the mid 70s. Oh and 120 is quite a high offset for the core what does it go to at stock with power limit and voltage maxed?

Giz

Associate
What temps are you getting?

I bought the Aoros and was having a lot of problems till I realised it was getting too hot because the default fan profile is too conservative. It really doesn't like going over the mid 70s. Oh and 120 is quite a high offset for the core what does it go to at stock with power limit and voltage maxed?

Giz
Yeah exactly. 60% fan speed still isn't loud but will keep temps in the low 60's in a well ventilated case. Just set your own curve. The Aorus software is much better than it was so just use that. When I bench mark I put it to full and temps sit at 51 or 52.

Soldato
Soldato
Learn to use the voltage curve its more optimal and should allow you to get past the issue you have.
ctrl-f to open the voltage UI, there is a few guides on the net for using it.
thanks for the help on this.

i made a custom curve last night and (touch wood) all seems good, its certainly more stable than before (before it crashed as soon as i hit apply on a much lesser overclock than now)

half an hr of heaven and it was hitting a steady 1932 core with memory at 6ghz iirc on the core at 74 degress (fan at 60% at that - still at auto) (my man cave is chilly right now however so may be warmer in summer!)

the ocd in me would really like to put this to a steady 2ghz and there may still be more to get out of the card, but either way, if it says stable at this speed it is a healthy jump over stock.

Back
Top Bottom