• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Undervolting GPU should be standard procedure

Man of Honour
Seems I went too low on my first undervolt so I increased voltage from 850 to 900 and now my 3070 gets 1935mhz (1920mhz at stock), runs at 65 degrees (75 degrees at stock), power usage has gone down from 240w to 180w and my FPS (and superposition bench score) is 5% higher than stock settings.

Magic !

What surprises me is that Nvidia recommends 750w PSU (for the 3080 anyway) when this is completely unnecessary, the cards are just poorly optimised. Many people probably went out and bought new unneeded power supplies

I think it's an understandable caution on their part. When nvidia (or any other company) gives recommendations, it will be for the worst case scenario plus a sizable safety margin. Same goes for default voltages and pretty much everything else. What you're getting is default power settings that the manufacturer is absolutely certain will work reliably for every single card they make and a recommended stated PSU wattage that the graphics card manufacturer is absolutely certain will work reliably for every PSU and every reasonably plausible PC configuration. The lowest quality PSU labelled as 750W (which in reality will probably be straining at its limits at somewhat less than 750W) and a CPU with a relatively high power draw and 6 fans and 4 SSDs and 2 HDDs...that sort of thing.

Imagine you're running a graphics card manufacturer. It makes umpteen thousand graphics cards of a particular model using a particular GPU. There will be some minor variations in manufacturing (inevitable given the miniscule tolerances involved in a graphics card), so the voltage actually required for a specific card will be (for example) somewhere between 860mV and 930mV, with most cards needing somewhere between 880mV and 900mV. So you ship all the cards set to something over 930mV, something high enough to ensure every card you ship will work. Maybe 975mV. As high as it'll go without running into significant problems. What you're shipping is one setting at which every card will work reliably, not custom per card settings at which that specific card will work most efficiently. At most, you might test after manufacturing to pull out some cards that will work reliably at lower voltages so you can change the settings a bit for those cards and sell those cards as a factory overclocked model.

Soldato
Amount of time I wanted to just sit at 2000mhz but always had the drops to 1965mhz no matter the wattage and temps I had.

Saw this guide and just set 987mv or higher to 2010mhz and damn it the card just stays there lol it's cooler too!

Associate
AMD and Nvidia could probably build auto undervolting into their cards
And advertise it as "here we added a feature you can use to make our card randomly crash"?
AMD did add it to their software. And that at peak of bad press agaist the drivers. Miners loved it, and Vega furnace owners probably.

Soldato
And advertise it as "here we added a feature you can use to make our card randomly crash"?
AMD did add it to their software. And that at peak of bad press agaist the drivers. Miners loved it, and Vega furnace owners probably.

Just like the auto overclocking that cards currently do makes them crash??

Soldato
AMD and Nvidia could probably build auto undervolting into their cards

I've just clicked the auto undervolt in Radeon drivers and had zero problems with my sapphire 6800XT nitro oc.

Been messing with auto profiles within Radeon Software had no issues here either.

I do however remember when auto OC was first added and I tried it I did crashed.

I think Grim5 is holding onto early release with that statement.

Anyway I have created my own undervolt on 6800xt and just lowering the voltage to 1050 I am able to keep my core clock around 2300 all the time.
My temperature are so much lower as well and I disabled zero RPm and adjusted my own fan profile.

All from within Radeon Software :D

Back
Top Bottom