• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unigine Heaven 4 benchmark

DLD

DLD

Associate
Yeah that is why I asked. I thought maybe drivers are holding back their full potential.

The 980 scored quite well so far. Maybe I was just expecting to much from the 970. :D

Still a mighty fine score for such a cheap card!

Soldato
Yeah that is why I asked. I thought maybe drivers are holding back their full potential.

The 980 scored quite well so far. Maybe I was just expecting to much from the 970. :D

Still a mighty fine score for such a cheap card!

Try beating the 970s Gpu scores in the Firestrike thread with your 780 ;)

DLD

DLD

Associate
Oh I know. I don't doubt they are very fast cards. Which is what started the question.

Was simply curious as to what was seeming to hold them back in this bench compared to others.

Caporegime
Oh I know. I don't doubt they are very fast cards. Which is what started the question.

Was simply curious as to what was seeming to hold them back in this bench compared to others.
Can you not get any higher on the cpu? Going from stock on the 4790k, (4.4 on 1 core with turbo) to 4.7ghz helped a bit. Chip is supposedly capable of 4.9ghz on 1.35v ono but id need to wait till its a bit cooler.

DLD

DLD

Associate
Can you not get any higher on the cpu? Going from stock on the 4790k, (4.4 on 1 core with turbo) to 4.7ghz helped a bit. Chip is supposedly capable of 4.9ghz on 1.35v ono but id need to wait till its a bit cooler.

I don't know if my 4770k has anything left or not. It is rock stable at that speed. So I don't know if I want to bother tweaking it for a little more or not.

I was not trying to gain any more in the bench anyway. I was just asking why the 970 was scoring that low with such a high overclock.

I figured it would be pushing 70 fps. I'm sure better drivers will give it a nice boost.

Caporegime
I don't know if my 4770k has anything left or not. It is rock stable at that speed. So I don't know if I want to bother tweaking it for a little more or not.

I was not trying to gain any more in the bench anyway. I was just asking why the 970 was scoring that low with such a high overclock.

I figured it would be pushing 70 fps. I'm sure better drivers will give it a nice boost.
What sort of voltage are you using for 4.4ghz. As Kaap says above, once we see custom bios versions for the 900 series we'll probably see higher scores. My own cards in sig are just on standard bios revisions, im sure i could eek a bit more from them if i was to go the custom route. As they stand theyre good enough for top 25 in most gpu benchmarks but no more.

DLD

DLD

Associate
My cpu is at 1.28v.

Yeah I know we will see more increase in them still. I don't doubt a 970 is faster than a 780.

Most other benches show them easily beating them. Which is why I asked :D

Soldato
What a great card the 980 is, its late so if this breaks the rules I will fix tomorrow.

CPU was at 5GHZ, card GPU clock was around 1550mhz on air, I don't what the break point is for the vram, what I do know is that the 980 will bomb to a grey screen rather than artifact. This run was with zero artifacts.

Card maxed at 60C and was running something in the region of 1.23v.

Windows 8.1
3930k at 5GHZ ram at 1600 (need to fix that too).
Gives a score of 1894.

Man of Honour
OP
What a great card the 980 is, its late so if this breaks the rules I will fix tomorrow.

CPU was at 5GHZ, card GPU clock was around 1550mhz on air, I don't what the break point is for the vram, what I do know is that the 980 will bomb to a grey screen rather than artifact. This run was with zero artifacts.

Card maxed at 60C and was running something in the region of 1.23v.

Windows 8.1
3930k at 5GHZ ram at 1600 (need to fix that too).
Gives a score of 1894.

Nice score and on the board.:)

Soldato
Thanks mate, don't have a calculator but thats a near 65% performance increase over my water-cooled, capacitor squealing, can't-give-it-any-more-voltage-otherwise-she-gonna-blow 7970 score.

OcUK Staff
Compared to the couple of 980 scores I have seen it looks to be about right.

whyscotty got 1893 with a 980. It is quite easy comparing the two cards on this bench as it is all about graphics performance.

Providing both cards are using about the same clocks all you have to do is divide the 970 score by 13 and multiply by 16 (number of cores in use).

1555/13 = 119.615

*16 = 1913.846

Having said all that I think the drivers will improve a bit too.:)

I got 2000 with a 980 on 344.07 driver with Haswell-E at 4.60GHz. That was using default driver preset and no LOD enhancements, mess with driver and LOD and the score would be around 2500!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom