Poll: United States Grand Prix 2018, Austin - Race 18/21

Rate the 2018 United States Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
So it turns out it was the modified rims that caused the blisters and Mercs slow pace.
Interesting… I wonder if that will affect them in Mexico?

Hamilton also said there was an issue with how they put the cars back together after replacing the water pumps:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45984212 said:
Hamilton revealed that his struggles in the race last weekend in Austin, Texas, were partly caused by the team making an error in the set-up of both Mercedes cars when they put them back together after changing their water pumps before the race.

"They took the car apart and when they put it back together, it was imbalanced, with a massive cross-weight, in the order of 50kg," he said. "So the right front and left rear take all the weight and the car would not turn through the left-hand corners.

"It felt very strange out there. I thought I had a massive tail wind or something when I was going through places like Turn 19.

"But the right-handers it was better, but there are not a lot of right-handers at that track. If we had not had that problem, it would have been a much different race."

Man of Honour
The FIA have cleared the modified wheels for use in Mexico.

Interesting that Merc messed up the car setup that badly. I assumed the tyre issues were because they hadn't amended the setup to work with their previous spec wheels after such little dry running on Friday.

Didn’t help that there was little dry running, along with pressure changes and the sealed wheel design.

Back
Top Bottom