Poll: United States Grand Prix 2018, Austin - Race 18/21

Rate the 2018 United States Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Feel there are a lot of drivers who would have brought championship home in this years ferrari.
Only a few drivers have made as many mistakes this half of the season

Permabanned
Poor luck? No, Vettel's lack of skill meant he binned it and threw away the win.

You can't say that a wet race is bad luck. To be successful in f1 you need to be good in all conditions.

Wet race is a bad luck ( I told you why - because the current weather conditions in Germany say dry, dry and dry all the time, for months) - but Vettel is not good in dry either - how many spins did he have so far this season, on the dry? It is like he does it intentionally every race.

Feel there are a lot of drivers who would have brought championship home in this years ferrari.

Yup, possibly.

Soldato
Now that's a bit of a stretch.

Max, Danny and possibly Fred but that's your lot. Oh and Hamilton of course....

Soldato

I dunno. How many drivers are there that are as fast as Hamilton and make as few mistakes as Hamilton? Yes, the Ferrari is faster at some of the tracks, but it wasn't the speed of the car that let Ferrari down, it was the driver's mistakes in the face of Hamilton just being able to get that little more out of the Mercedes, and rarely putting a foot wrong for the whole of the season.

I do think Vettel is over rated, but I don't think there are many other drivers that you could put in a Ferrari or Mercedes that could overcome Hamilton's relentless scoring unless you get a Rosberg year when Hamilton's car reliability is in the toilet. And Hamilton always seeming to get that pole position to keep him well out of trouble most of the time. Raikkonen spinning him on an opening lap (Silverstone?) is the only big one I can think of this year. Hamilton is absurdly fast and consistent, there's not many drivers out there that can match that, race in and race out.

Permabanned
Now that's a bit of a stretch.

Max, Danny and possibly Fred but that's your lot. Oh and Hamilton of course....

I dunno. How many drivers are there that are as fast as Hamilton and make as few mistakes as Hamilton? Yes, the Ferrari is faster at some of the tracks, but it wasn't the speed of the car that let Ferrari down, it was the driver's mistakes in the face of Hamilton just being able to get that little more out of the Mercedes, and rarely putting a foot wrong for the whole of the season.

I do think Vettel is over rated, but I don't think there are many other drivers that you could put in a Ferrari or Mercedes that could overcome Hamilton's relentless scoring unless you get a Rosberg year when Hamilton's car reliability is in the toilet. And Hamilton always seeming to get that pole position to keep him well out of trouble most of the time. Raikkonen spinning him on an opening lap (Silverstone?) is the only big one I can think of this year. Hamilton is absurdly fast and consistent, there's not many drivers out there that can match that, race in and race out.

Alonso,
Leclerc,
Verstappen,
maybe Ricciardo,
Sirotkin

to name a few.

Permabanned
It isn't bad luck for any one individual. The wet weather applies to everyone.

Everyone with a Mercedes, everyone in a Ferrari could have lost that race - Vettel was losing a second or more per lap, so no chance for the win anyways... even without the crash.

Soldato
People suggesting Verstappen would have won it are forgetting just how bad and error-ridden Verstappen was at the start of the year. Granted he might not have made as many errors had he been in the championship fight (though arguably at that point he should have been) and while Vettel has made plenty of errors it's a bit odd to say he's been any worse than Verstappen - they've both been as bad as each other really.

Alonso would have won the title in that Ferrari, of that I am sure, and possibly Ricciardo (though who knows how he'll handle a title fight should the opportunity arise), but I think it's unfair to say half the grid would have.

Caporegime
People suggesting Verstappen would have won it are forgetting just how bad and error-ridden Verstappen was at the start of the year. Granted he might not have made as many errors had he been in the championship fight (though arguably at that point he should have been) and while Vettel has made plenty of errors it's a bit odd to say he's been any worse than Verstappen - they've both been as bad as each other really.

Exactly. Verstappen is quick but he's had a huge number of unforced errors this year.

Caporegime
Verstappen has only just turned 21 to be fair you can't expect him to be the finished article, it's not like he's been in F1 ten years and won 4 titles. A lot of the value in Verstappen will be future potential.

Soldato
Verstappen has only just turned 21 to be fair you can't expect him to be the finished article, it's not like he's been in F1 ten years and won 4 titles. A lot of the value in Verstappen will be future potential.

I think he’s an arrogant little bugger however I can’t deny his talent. Once he starts to lose the silly errors and gets a better car under him the others will be in trouble.

Soldato
I think he’s an arrogant little bugger however I can’t deny his talent. Once he starts to lose the silly errors and gets a better car under him the others will be in trouble.

That's the problem with starting them in F1 that young, and why the FIA have set an age limit and belatedly made drivers earn a Super License with consistant results. Verstappen skipped the steps where rough edges are rounded off in lower formulas and the seasoning that most top level F1 drivers get in less competitive teams. He's been much better in the second half of the season after the Baku shocker. No denying the talent though. Similar could be argued for Vettel, and it's showing now he's under pressure.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom