Universal basic income

I'd work part time with UBI and spend more time doing things that make happy... More creative stuff, other hobbies and sightseeing.

It'd work nicely if I could switch to a job share arrangement.

Does anyone foresee a London weighting to cover higher rents there?

No, I would see a rework of social housing with a percentage of income based rent and no guaranteed tenure.

Location is not entirely a choice for people who work, who have to balance desirability with cost. Why should those who don't work not have the same responsibility?

So HRT payers would have a net nil position once UBI comes into play?

So it would only benefit the I unemployed/low earners gradually taping off up to the high earners?

I'm not being deliberately dense. I've been a fan of a for of UBI for a while however saw it as a boost to everyone universally.

UBI will have to be revenue neutral. While there can be some significant savings in reducing some benefits/pensions, tax will have to increase to cover some of the short fall.

So whether you are a winner or looser will depend on your exact financial situation. Tax might go up 2-3% for example.

A lot also depends on the level of UBI. At the low end then reductions in benefits and pensions will cover most of the UBI costs, but this is not really the goal of UBI and many of the advnatages come about when UBI is a little higher.

of course not, in fact for plenty of people in London it would mean bigger cuts to their benefits than the wet dreams of the most right wing of Tories

people don't seem to want to address that one, we already dish out way more in housing benefit in some areas, in order to keep economically inactive people housed in in zone 1 and 2, than we'd ever likely be able to afford to pay out nationally in the form of UBI to every individual

UBI and other benefits are not mutually exclusive. It could very well be the case that you have UBI + housing benefits + child support for example.

It all depends what level the UBI is at. If you planned to removed all benefits entirely then you would have to set the UBI much higher, so then the question is somewhat moot.

Last edited:
sliding tax bands create complexity as well as a moral case for reducing your tax paid due to being unfairly treated.

A flat rate achieves both the aim of providing a better replacement for the current benefits system, treats everyone equally and removes any moral case for tax avoidance.

Firstly: Anyone who claims that the tax code is complex because of multiple tax bands clearly has absolutely no understanding of taxation. The UK tax code is something like 10,0000 pages long, with the separate tax bands taking up the whole of 2-3 pages. The US has something like a dozen tax bands, creating a much smoother function which has lots of benefits when going through pay rises, receiving bonuses , calculating deductions etc. It would be great if the UK moved to a more continuous function,; start tax at 15% and increment it by 2% each band to you hit the current 45%.

Secondly: you are on your own thinking there is a more issue with multiple tax bands. Countless philosophers and economists conclude otherwise, and the reasons are quite obvious. Money doesn't have a linear value for starters, and there is already a moral problem that salaries are vastly different despite people working similar hours and just as hard. Then there is the entire debate around the existence of taxation in he first place, but basically if you want to live and work in the state then the states' tax rules apply in absolute.

Flat rate doesn't replace the current benefits system, not without a significant UBI, but these are not necessarily linked. Current tax already treats everyone equally (all people earnings the same with the same deductions pays the same tax) and there is no moral case for avoiding taxes. The problem with flat tax is it creates a system that is extrmely sensitive to the tax threshold, and if implemented you will find a lot more people not paying any taxes what so ever, many more people paying at a higher tax band, and the wealthiest will carry on trying to avoid taxes. E.g. you set the tax free threshold to 20K and everyone above that pays the 45% tax rate. Someone that used to pay a little tax on their 18K income now doesn't pay a penny, their friend who earns 24K finds the selves with a very steep marginal tax rate, and they find them selves simply working less hours because anything earned above the 20K sees a large deduction from their paycheck. If instead you had 20 different tax bands then the change in marginal rate is so gradual it is invisible.

Here is a good article on flat tax: https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204358004577032311610518008

In regards to complexity, the tax code is not complex due to the levels of taxation, it is complex because of the definitions of income and permissible deductions (short term capital gains, long term capital gains, child tax credits, mortgage interest deductions, state sales tax reductions, capital losses, dividends, royalties, medical expenses.

Corporate tax is basically flat, and I have yet to hear anyone say that corporation tax is simple.

UBI and other benefits are not mutually exclusive. It could very well be the case that you have UBI + housing benefits + child support for example.

It all depends what level the UBI is at. If you planned to removed all benefits entirely then you would have to set the UBI much higher, so then the question is somewhat moot.

well it isn't really moot, if you wanted to set it high enough to give an equivalent maxing out the benefit cap in greater London then you'd inevitable be overpaying people in other parts of the country... not to mention it wouldn't really be affordable

if however you want to keep other benefits then it is a bit of a different version of UBI to that which is perhaps being envisaged by some in this thread, you don't then get a simpler system but rather you're introducing something new on top of all the other benefits etc.. I mean aside form changing how people are taxed perhaps by removing the tax free allowance thanks to having UBI or essentially some sort of negative income tax you're still potentially keeping everything else

well it isn't really moot, if you wanted to set it high enough to give an equivalent maxing out the benefit cap in greater London then you'd inevitable be overpaying people in other parts of the country... not to mention it wouldn't really be affordable

if however you want to keep other benefits then it is a bit of a different version of UBI to that which is perhaps being envisaged by some in this thread, you don't then get a simpler system but rather you're introducing something new on top of all the other benefits etc.. I mean aside form changing how people are taxed perhaps by removing the tax free allowance thanks to having UBI or essentially some sort of negative income tax you're still potentially keeping everything else
Or perhaps you simply sort out housing as well.so it's not an issue. Plus in a future with ubi. Chances are people would spread out more. No need to work if you don't want to. So no need to be in London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/10/23/universal-basic-income-may-hurt-seeks-help/

In a situation where generous transfers of wealth already happen, such as the welfare state in the UK, with a health service and pensions, it might not be effective. In fact, because of the costs involved with introducing UBI it would have to replace the existing welfare system, and resulting in less generous benefits for lower-income houses than already exist, the IMF notes. According to a study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), if a budget neutral basic income – essentially replacing the current welfare system and redistributing the money used via UBI – was introduced in the UK, it would be the middle-income households that benefit most and poor households would be much worse off.

OECD study re: what I mentioned earlier, we already dish out substantial benefits in the UK, introducing UBI would leave plenty of people worse off.

Or perhaps you simply sort out housing as well.so it's not an issue. Plus in a future with ubi. Chances are people would spread out more. No need to work if you don't want to. So no need to be in London.

Central London will likely continue to be expensive for the foreseeable future regardless of increases in telecommuting etc..

You could have different weighting based on local living costs. If UBIU is to replace all benefits then yes, there owuld be much more expenses and taxes would have to increase quite a lot. Which is why a more realistic version is a lower UBI but maintaining some of the existing benefits.

Some of the ideas people in this thread have are completely ridiculous though, so that isn't surprising. Quite clearly, a system with UBI that left millions of the poorest destitute would be a monumental failure so aren't really worth talking about. It is an inevitability that any useful UBI will benefit the poor, and will likely have a cost to the highest earners.People having a wet dream about screwing over the poor even further are living in a fantasy land.

UBI can be used to replace some of the existing benefits, it certainly coudln't replace all of them without a substantial cost. That still means you can simplify some aspects of the system. One of the main benefits of a low level UBI is to prevent benefits traps, which will still exist if there is some level of benefits on top of the UBI. For example, Job seekers allowance could be removed, thereby people are incentives to work at least part time without the feeling that they are loosing their benefits

UBI can be used to replace some of the existing benefits, it certainly coudln't replace all of them without a substantial cost. That still means you can simplify some aspects of the system. One of the main benefits of a low level UBI is to prevent benefits traps, which will still exist if there is some level of benefits on top of the UBI. For example, Job seekers allowance could be removed, thereby people are incentives to work at least part time without the feeling that they are loosing their benefits

But JSA is currently paid to relatively few people as a % of the population... even just dishing out the equivalent of JSA to every adult in the UK is going to come at a significant cost. I doubt any savings from not having to check up on the small % of fraudsters is going to come anywhere near the extra expense of dishing out the equivalent amount to everyone. People are still going to want help getting back into work etc.. job centres etc.. would likely still have a purpose, you'd perhaps just eliminate the mandatory regular meetings for JSA recipients.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/10/23/universal-basic-income-may-hurt-seeks-help/

OECD study re: what I mentioned earlier, we already dish out substantial benefits in the UK, introducing UBI would leave plenty of people worse off.

Central London will likely continue to be expensive for the foreseeable future regardless of increases in telecommuting etc..

That is under the assumption of a revenue neutral UBI scheme, which clearly wont work. UBI will have to be paid for by increased taxes on the wealthy, with some offsets from current welfare

But JSA is currently paid to relatively few people as a % of the population... even just dishing out the equivalent of JSA to every adult in the UK is going to come at a significant cost. I doubt any savings from not having to check up on the small % of fraudsters is going to come anywhere near the extra expense of dishing out the equivalent amount to everyone. People are still going to want help getting back into work etc.. job centres etc.. would likely still have a purpose, you'd perhaps just eliminate the mandatory regular meetings for JSA recipients.

JSA was just one example, you can also obviously reduce disability and pensions by the UBI amount. Pensions are by far the largest part of the UK welfare and UBI can be a direct replacement. Depending on how high the UBI there may need to be a suppliment, or perhaps UBI can increase for those beyond retirement age etc.

No one said UBI would be cheap and it is completely wrong to think UBI is a replacement for all welfare and benefits. If UBI was a complete replacement then it would be massively expensive and require huge tax hikes which seems unlikely,. Instead, when seen as an addition to the current welfare that is at least partially paid for by some reductions in certain areas of benefits like pensions, then we see a much more viable and functional system. Ultimately it needs to extend the transfer of wealth to the poor, not the inverse.

My issue is that we now live in a culture of "I am entitled to... I deserve this..." rather than the concept of contributing.

Personally I think we are at a point in time where everyone on the planet should expect to have as a bare minimum:

- A roof over their head
- Food and water
- Access to healthcare
- An internet connection

But I think if you have to rely on the Government or Council to have any of those things, you do so on their terms not your own (specifically housing).

Back
Top Bottom