**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Ahh subtle difference, thanks! Seem to be coming in around 190 quid each, fitted from mytyres. Sound about right?

I'll get both changed - the PZeros have been 'OK' so will be interesting to see the difference.

Soldato
Went with the Avon for my wife's car, online reviews rate them fairly good. Getting them fitted on Monday.

Wonder if they will last as long as the Continentals which have lasted 46k miles on the fronts.

Soldato
I don't know how PS4 compare to MPSS, but I suspect the MPSS is a better tyre in the dry and on track, but the PS4 is probably better in the wet.

PS4 will undoubtedly be a lot cheaper than MPSS though, so maybe that would swing the decision.

My M135i uses BMW OEM MPSS, so I always use those but would like to try PS4S if they were only available in 18". Apparently they WILL be available, but I don't know when.

Soldato
I don't know how PS4 compare to MPSS, but I suspect the MPSS is a better tyre in the dry and on track, but the PS4 is probably better in the wet.

PS4 will undoubtedly be a lot cheaper than MPSS though, so maybe that would swing the decision.

My M135i uses BMW OEM MPSS, so I always use those but would like to try PS4S if they were only available in 18". Apparently they WILL be available, but I don't know when.

If you're using the OEM fitment MPSS on the front of your M135i, you'll see quite a difference changing to a PS4. Completely eliminates the soft rolly feeling that the MPSS's have. Also will last a lot longer.

Soldato
Do you mean a PS4S?

The PS4 is old and not a MPSS replacement. Not sure what you mean about rolly feeling on a MPSS either.

The PS4 is just over a year old? The MPSS is what, 6 years old? Michelin themselves said that the PS4 outperforms the MPSS in everything apart from dry track work, where it is just a couple tenths of a second off per lap. The PS4S is the true successor to the MPSS, but the PS4 isn't a bad tyre by any stretch of the imagination.

On the M135i's/M140i's, the factory front tyres have quite a low load rating with an MPSS. The sidewalls are very soft and causes the car to have quite a dull turn in and just feel lazier than it could otherwise be. Swapping to a PS4 with a better load rating has improved that, and actually made the car quicker round a lap as you have more confidence.

Soldato
The standard M135i MPSS are an 88 load rating on the front, but you can also buy OEM fit 92 load rating for the front size if you want.

I also don't feel the front end is lacking on the M135i and can't say I've ever experienced a "rolly" feeling.

Soldato
Ended up not going for the PS4S from mytyres. They were insisting on 'Advance Payment' by Bank Transfer and wouldn't take credit card. Not keen on that.

So I cancelled and got them via National Tyres for pretty much the same price inc fitting at a local branch. Just annoying having to wait till Wednesday for delivery now!

Soldato
Had the Avon ZX7 fitted to the car yesterday, first impressions very good however we will never be driving the car to the limit anyway.

Whilst it was at National they recommended the rears were changed, I was hoping they would last another few months but I knew they were almost on the limit...went back home and national seemed to stop offering them online. Anyway a local fitter matched the price I paid for the front and getting the rears fitted tomorrow.

£380 blown on 2 days for the tyres on a Qashqai!

OcUK Staff

When I spoke to a guy who works in the tyre industry and with Michelin the response on PS4 vs MPSS was this:

Road car: PS4, it turns on quicker and better in the wet, some of the PS4 sizes are actually PS4S, which ones however well your guess is as good as mine. They said dry wise you'd be hard to tell.
Weekend / Track car: MPSS, better subjective feel, better dry lap times etc.

In short from my conversation with them if subjective feel is a priority get the MPSS. :)

P.S. I am still running PS4S and though they are good, I don't trust them, the MPSS always gripped hard even from the first yard, whereas PS4S seem to take a lot more to switch on, but my experience will be different as my rear tyre is the K1 tyre and the car seems vague in the rear at times and then sticks like glue at other times or just lets go. The front none K1 tyres however are fine but again I feel MPSS actually gave better feedback. I think PS4S will probably give best lap times, but MPSS is more fun, more communicative and inspires more confidence.

Caporegime
Seems odd you say that now, your previous review was singing their praises. I like the tyrereview review video, this is on the right car too. Gripping hard from the start is irrelevant to me as it takes ages for the engine to warm up before pushing

A guy at work just got some on his Porsche, said they are really good in wet vs old bridgestone but he did comment on the ride being softer and at the very edge of grip being a touch softer.

To be honest I'm gonna try the PS4S anyway, the MPSS are great but the M3 really does lack feedback compared to the S2000 (even on F1AS2). Very surprising really. Also the M3 feels a bit loose on wet roads.
What does surprise me is how good the M3 ride is even on the 19" wheels with Competition Pack suspension.

OcUK Staff
Seems odd you say that now, your previous review was singing their praises. I like the tyrereview review video, this is on the right car too. Gripping hard from the start is irrelevant to me as it takes ages for the engine to warm up before pushing

A guy at work just got some on his Porsche, said they are really good in wet vs old bridgestone but he did comment on the ride being softer and at the very edge of grip being a touch softer.

To be honest I'm gonna try the PS4S anyway, the MPSS are great but the M3 really does lack feedback compared to the S2000 (even on F1AS2). Very surprising really. Also the M3 feels a bit loose on wet roads.
What does surprise me is how good the M3 ride is even on the 19" wheels with Competition Pack suspension.

They are great, but at the same time the rear of the car does not always seem as planted or confident inspiring, yet the front-end is always there. I can't explain it, the MPSS were so predictable and always there, but the PS4S on the rear definetely need heat to work, MPSS just worked and sometimes particular in dry you can just light them up whereas the MPSS did not yet all remains controlled.

But as stated previously I think the fault is off the K1 version of the PS4S, the sidewall or something about the construction is different, to the point 32psi felt unstable at speed which is cars recommended setting and was never an issue on Pzero or MPSS, but on PS4S I had to move the rear to 35psi to solve the issue, front not an issue.

If I'd of known this I would have just got 10" wheels all round and fitted 285/35/20 all round, thats hindsight for you and as I am on 295/35/20 its a K1 tyre, so I just have to put up with them. In the wet the lateral grip is amazing on the PS4S as long as you do not shock the tyre with too much right foot, they are great apart from the weaknesses above which I believe is due to the K1 specific tyre being different. For most who won't be fitting K1 they are superb all rounder. :)

Soldato
Is there a go to tyre for commuting, going on a mondeo want something that will last and not be useless at the first sign of wet and snow. 235/45/18
I was thinking Eagle F1 As or Primacy 3s. Are the Cross climate+ worth the extra.

Soldato
I've been wanting PS4S on my Megane but I cant justify the price premium.

I can get Conti sportcontact 6 for £152 each fitted. The add £60 cashback and about 3% topcashback the price is under £600.

On the other hand PS4s are £178 fitted. With no good deals on.

I know the ps4s are a better tyre but the price difference is massive :(

Back
Top Bottom