**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
So, the wheels I've just put on my car came with tyres, and while they have decent tread left I'm debating if it's worth just changing them anyway to something else.

Rear has Pirelli P Zero with 4mm tread, fronts are Pirelli P7 with 5.5mm. If I were to change, it'd be for PS4s, 18" so the 4S isn't an option.

Worth doing it? Likely get the rears done by the end of summer either way...

Don
So, the wheels I've just put on my car came with tyres, and while they have decent tread left I'm debating if it's worth just changing them anyway to something else.

Rear has Pirelli P Zero with 4mm tread, fronts are Pirelli P7 with 5.5mm. If I were to change, it'd be for PS4s, 18" so the 4S isn't an option.

Worth doing it? Likely get the rears done by the end of summer either way...

Personally just wait until the rears are worn down to 2-3mm by which time the fronts will be well on the way - then replace all 4 with PS4s - don't see the point of changing fairly good tyres for excellent tyres "just because" (* if you currently had yingyangs etc then I would suggest changing them regardless of how much tread they had)

Soldato
Anyone ever used Black circles quality choice tyres? they are around £48 per corner on 18 inch alloys. My problem is both back tyres are done and i will probably only be keeping the car another few months so dont want to spend much just need a safe legal tyre. Or would i be better getting a good brand part worn for around £25 each?

Associate
Personally just wait until the rears are worn down to 2-3mm by which time the fronts will be well on the way - then replace all 4 with PS4s - don't see the point of changing fairly good tyres for excellent tyres "just because" (* if you currently had yingyangs etc then I would suggest changing them regardless of how much tread they had)

Pretty much what I was thinking, although I expect the fronts won't be anywhere near low by the time I come to do the rears (perhaps should have said it's a rwd car)

Soldato
Got the Conti PC6s fitted to the back. Ahh, silence again! Will find out after some more driving if there are any handling/roadholding benefits. Got a fair few thousand miles left on the front SC5s but when they go, I'll replace them with PC6s too.

uyh8zhP.jpg

Man of Honour
How relevant are the tyre ratings on blackcircles - for example is a tyre that has F for fuel economy all that much different from a B? Is 69db road noise all that different from 72db? Just wondering if I should pay any mind to them when looking for new boots.

Caporegime
Got the Conti PC6s fitted to the back. Ahh, silence again! Will find out after some more driving if there are any handling/roadholding benefits. Got a fair few thousand miles left on the front SC5s but when they go, I'll replace them with PC6s too.

Impressed with mine, probably the best all round tyre I've ever used, better in the damp than the MPSS, dry grip seems the same, i suspect the only difference will be increased wear.

Associate
CSC5 rear's need replacing on my E90 335i - doesn't look like the PC6 is available in my size (255/35/18) so I can either:

1) Stick to CSC5s
2) Go PS4 (Non-S, as again they aren't available in my size) would swap the fronts at a later date.

Any onions welcome - reason I'm thinking of switching is I feel like the Conti's have worn pretty swiftly :eek:

Back
Top Bottom