**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
It's really very important though, I don't want to spend good money on a top end UHP tyre only to find out that it makes the car feel like it's broken and I don't have any confidence to utilise the grip level it can offer. Eagle F1 are exactly like that, they deserve a poor rating.

Man of Honour
It's really very important though, I don't want to spend good money on a top end UHP tyre only to find out that it makes the car feel like it's broken and I don't have any confidence to utilise the grip level it can offer. Eagle F1 are exactly like that, they deserve a poor rating.

Wheras for me tyres are about absolute ability not how leet a driving pro they make me feel on public roads.

So it's a factor, perhaps an important one for some, but no more important than other factors.

Soldato

This was my thoughts exactly. I tried Eagles on a Type R and an Impreza WRX STI and both times didnt have good enough indicative feedback to properly push on whereas PS4s had great response at all speeds I could get up to. Eagles are very good in their own right but on a performance car (Invertigo has a Z4 IIRC) then I'd absolutely want something I could trust which the PS4 just happens to have.

Let's be honest, Eagles are supposed to perform better than PS4s only in the wet department and even then the difference is going to be absolutely minimal.

Soldato
I don't care about feelz when the guy in front locks up on a wet motorway.

Likewise, I don't care about the aquaplaning resistance when I'm driving my hypothetical weekend car on a dry road in 30c heat, but i'm not going to moan that a tyre got marked down for poor wet performance. Like it or not, feeling an important quality in a tyre. They do break it down enough that you can disregard a result if you don't think it's important to your driving and still get a meaningful overall result from the test.

And if you can get feeling and everything else in a tyre, like you do with the PS4, why would you want anything else?

Man of Honour
Why are certain sizes of tyre so expensive.

I was going to downsize back to stock tyre size (currently on 235/35 and 265/30), but it seems 225/40 are £22 more expensive per tyre. I've ordered a pair of PS4S, and will also get them on the rear too once the CSC6 has gone low. Seems a bit silly to pay more money for less rubber, so CSL size it will remain.

Looking forward to seeing what a difference the front end has vs the CSC6. Specs say the PS4S has better efficiency than the CSC6, and lower noise levels. I've now had two complete sets of CSC6 as have been very impressed with them vs the SuperSport the car came with.

Edit*

I usually try and watch or read as much as I can when buying stuff like this, and this time round Engineering Explained has cool technical details on the 4S:

Also liking the furry sidewall labelling :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
2x Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 RFT fitted.

Yay. I think.

Why'd you get RFT? You've always been anti them so I assume you didn't have much choice, but I'm curious to know the reason. Presumably the other axle has RFTs fitted.

If you could get any tyre you wanted (price matters, sizing doesn't), what would you choose? PS4?

Man of Honour
Why'd you get RFT? You've always been anti them so I assume you didn't have much choice, but I'm curious to know the reason. Presumably the other axle has RFTs fitted.

If you could get any tyre you wanted (price matters, sizing doesn't), what would you choose? PS4?

I've got plenty left on the fronts, hopefully when it's time for new rears again I can move to 4x non RFT. That said I've been impressed with the RFT on this car, less awful than ever before.

I'd have been tempted by PS4 if they were available in the correct fitment.

Soldato
I've got plenty left on the fronts, hopefully when it's time for new rears again I can move to 4x non RFT. That said I've been impressed with the RFT on this car, less awful than ever before.

What size are the tyres ? I thought the 19" were 275/35 & 245/40

Soldato

Ah okay, that makes sense then. RFT technology must have moved on in recent years, although the non-RFTs on my girlfriend's Mini are noticeably less harsh than the loaner she had with P7 Cinturato RFTs fitted.

I can only get PS4S in my size (245/35/19 93Y), and they're a ~£60/corner premium over the AS3s :/

Back
Top Bottom