**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I want some good performance tyres for my Corolla for the front wheels... I have a pair of Michelin Energy Saver's on the back which I'm happy to leave there, but there is a slight issue in as much as that there don't seem to be ANY good performance tyres in my size that I can see, 195:55:16 :(

I could get some 205:50:16's, but then I would either have different tyre sizes front to back, or I would have to change all four and get rid of two perfectly good (and not cheap) tyres...

Are there any 195:55:16's which are soft compound and actually good for dry road bashing?

There are quite a few perfectly decent tyres available in that size (unless I've inadvertantly clicked a size up).

Hankook k125 on our fiesta, good tyres and decent enough wearing. Equivalent Kumho should be fine too and I've had premium contact 5 on a car before which were good.

It's not worth getting too hung up if there are no uhp tyres available, just buy the best balance of what is on offer

Caporegime
They are all eco city tyres, I've had various on Corolla's before Avons, Michelins, Falkens, and Firestones, and none of them have been particularly sticky, progressive or confidence inspiring when pressing on.

It currently has Michelin Energy Saver GreenX's on the front and they just let go with no warning whatsoever. They also spin up in 1st and 2nd on damp roads, which just shouldn't happen with 200HP and zero torque.

Looking at reviews the most highly rated tyre in that size seems to be the Vredestein Sportrac 5, so I guess I could get some of those? I had them on my red MX5 and they were 1000x better than the **** Toyo T1R's it had before.

Soldato
We have the hankook on the fiesta and it's a good tyre - I can give it plenty of stick wet or dry and it never does anything I'm not expecting.

Never tried vred's on any car but not because I have read or think anything to suggest they're poor

You simply don't have the choice of the tyre class up unless you want to change size

Soldato
Not sure why you're getting so hung up on it tbh, you have perfectly good tyres available for the size.

An increase to say a 225 section tyre would likely make more difference than the performance between a uhp tyre and a very good, well proven one - but it's not necessarily worth buying new wheels solely to widen what is already a decent tyre range

Caporegime
Not sure why you're getting so hung up on it tbh, you have perfectly good tyres available for the size.

An increase to say a 225 section tyre would likely make more difference than the performance between a uhp tyre and a very good, well proven one - but it's not necessarily worth it solely to widen what is already a decent tyre range

I guess I'll have to think about things and decide if I want some decent tyres, or if I want to change tyre size, or even wheel size, to get some better tyres.

To be honest I'm considering trying out track days etc... Its got lowering springs, strut braces, uprated brakes, and a semi-baffled sump on it now. (modified 1ZZ sump) :p

Thanks all. :)

Soldato

+1

I've just had a quick look and there are plenty of choices available, what exactly are you expecting Acme? I guess it's not a typical size for a backroad blaster which is why you don't have things like Goodyear Eagle or ContiSports available.

Can you afford to replace all 4 now? If so, change size and sell the old tyres on eBay. You'd be amazed at what people will buy (come to think of it, maybe not ;) :D)

Running different profiles isn't the end of the world either. If you're concerned, buy new wider rubber, put it on the back and replace the fronts with the same when they're due.

Man of Honour
Yawn... because unless you have PS4/F1A3/CSC6 then you instantly slide off the road and die...

I don't think anyone is saying that.

However you do have to wonder how many minor bumps and scrapes might be avoided if people didn't buy the cheapest tyres they could find because they 'only pootle around town'.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I've bought something with Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons on it. They look new, although production was 0116, so binning them would be stupid.

What's the consensus on all season tyres? I run summers and winters on separate wheels, and would very much like to continue using separate summer and winter tyres. I presume the logical thing to do is get some summer tyres on new wheels and run the Vectors as 'winters'?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Either:

a) Sell them as part worn
b) Use them all year round

?
a) will I get much for them? Probably not.
B) I don't want these things on in summer as they have all of the drawbacks of winter tyres (safety,
Performance and handling).

And there's always option c): Sell wheels & tyres, buy new wheels & tyres (x2).

Soldato
a) will I get much for them? Probably not.
B) I don't want these things on in summer as they have all of the drawbacks of winter tyres (safety,
Performance and handling).

And there's always option c): Sell wheels & tyres, buy new wheels & tyres (x2).
Surely your options are as follows:

1) You are happy with the performance of the tyres, in which case keep them.
2) You are not happy with the performance of the tyres, in which case buy new tyres.

How about option 4, Sell the car, buy a new car.

Back
Top Bottom