1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Discussion in 'Motors' started by rossk26, Feb 14, 2013.

1. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Looking for tyre recommendations for a '65 BMW 125i. Car is an M Sport and coming up to three years old. 27,000 miles, first MOT due soon and the tyres are close to needing a change. I haven't changed the tyres on this car before, but can I be greedy and ask for two recommendations please? One for run flats and one for normal. Famous last words, but I haven't had a puncture in years and would be willing to take the chance in return for an improved ride, if there's still a substantial difference between the two. Ta.

2. Havana_UK

Mobster

Michelin PS4 for non runflat.

I can’t make any runflat recommendations from personal experience, sorry.

3. timmeh

Mobster

Does a 125 need PS4s though?

I ended up going for Continental ExtremeContacts. The Michelin’s were $450 a corner and the Conti’s were $230. I can’t see how they’re $200 worse, maybe if I was tracking it or it was a Ferrari/Porsche/etc the extra would be worth it.

The Continentals are infinitely better in every way than the P-Zeros they replaced - quieter, more grip, etc. They have a warranty for 50k miles too, Michelin’s were only 20k

4. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Thanks both, appreciated. I'll have a look into those options.

5. ChrisD.

Capodecina

A few months in on the F1A3 on my Focus ST and I've very happy with them.

6. Antony101

Mobster

I put PS4s on my F11 520d, they're only about £15 (£145 each) a corner more than everything else so there's no real reason not too. The car might not be powerful but it's still rear wheel drive and you can never have enough grip.

7. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I went for the Michelins in the end. Cheaper than the Continentals.

8. iMacMart

Capodecina

What’s the best place to pickup some replacements for my 5 series 275/35/R19 tubeless please chaps....

9. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Prices of this size have gone nuts recently, my last set of rears were £160 each for Eagle F1 AS3 BMW Star marked RFT. I'm now looking at £220 for the same tyre. None of the online places seem that cheap now, its looking like even places like Kwik Fit are offering similar value :(

10. iMacMart

Capodecina

Wow ok thanks for that Fox!

11. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Let me know what you decide to do - what tyre are you after?

12. iMacMart

Capodecina

I have zero tyre knowledge so it will be budget based or like for like

13. mjt

Capodecina

I'll need to replace the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the front (will swap with rears) of the A6 before winters come off.
    I see the Pilot Sport 4S is the replacement, but is the 4S a 'UUHP'? Seems overkill on a 2.0TDI but the PSSs have worn extremely well (still over 6mm on the rear in 30k miles and the fronts are down to 3ish but I noticed a significant decrease in performance in the autumn).

14. Acme

Caporegime

For snow driving is there actually that much difference between a cheap winter tyre and an expensive one? Since its just the tread design that holds snow and uses snow to grip against snow right?

I'm guessing the main way they will be inferior is for non snow driving. Cold roads/wet roads/etc.

Asking for a friend :p

15. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Yes, there very much is!

16. Acme

Caporegime

Fair enough. :p

Cheapo winter tyre is probably still better in the snow that the best summer ones though :p

17. Armageus

Don

No-one knows as they are never tested like that

18. Minstadave

Capodecina

Are snow tyres even relevant in the UK? Winter tyres I get, but snow tyres are going to be useful in remote areas I’d have thought.

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Good winter tyres are exceptional. I drove a 6 Series GT to the top of an Austrian ski resort last week in heavy snow without a single activation of the traction control. It was astonishing. Some of the others I saw were using snow chains!

Trouble is we just don't have conditions like that in the UK very often :(

20. Acme

Caporegime

I hope we get some snow soon. Cos I want some crap winter tyres on the MX5 so I can do skids :p