1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Discussion in 'Motors' started by rossk26, Feb 14, 2013.

1. The_Abyss

Sgarrista

I had these fitted today - felt really good, thanks, albeit with a healthy dose of new rubber bias. There's a definite difference on normal tubeless compared to run flats, much improved.

2. geekman

Mobster

Quick question re: puncture repair.....

I noticed yesterday that one of the rear tyres on my Caliber was losing air, but I couldn't see any evidence of a nail / damaged sidewall. Took it to a local tyre shop, and they found a tiny cut of about 2mm on the inner sidewall. I was about to take the tyre away and order a new one, but he told me he could safely repair it. He explained that there were various different types of patch: he showed me a fairly small one of the type I've seen many times before, and said that he wouldn't use that for a sidewall. He then produced a much larger, thicker patch and explained that it was made of a different material, he was going to use a different glue etc etc and that he guaranteed the repair for the life of the tyre, which he also wrote on the receipt.

I let him go ahead with it as I figured that it was safer than driving around on a 10 year old space saver tyre, but do we think this is actually safe? Seems odd that he'd guarantee it if it wasn't, but then I know that in the UK we don't repair any tyres with sidewall damage so there must be a reason why.

What do we think: should I leave it as it is or replace it anyway? If it does fail, is it likely to blow out or simply start losing air?

3. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

I wouldn't drive around on that, you have no idea how damaged the tyre really is under the surface and the load on the sidewall are totally different to that of the contact patch.

4. geekman

Mobster

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’ve been leaning towards having done a bit of reading. Annoyingly I fitted 1 tyre a few days ago due to another one getting damaged by a pothole, so I’ll have to go through the whole tedious process again.

5. Cristian

Wise Guy

So I did get the TS860s, as expected they are not stellar in the dry with a remapped 335D.
    However, they are very good in the wet and obviously the best you can get in snow.
    My trip included some very snowy hills (we're talking 3-5 inches of compacted and fresh snow) which it climbed with no sweat and only a minor ass shake at some point due to DTC on. Also very good on snow covered motorways, of which I've had plenty of at decent speeds. I would have not coped with the Michelins for sure!

And of course last year when I was sporting quattro on the same trip I did not encounter a single spec of snow...