**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Well I wish i could get a bargain deal like that. Even at costco itll be 4 x £93.99 then £60 off only. Does it even include fitting. Mehh

Shipping Included
Goodyear R16/R17 Tyres: Buy 2 get £30 OFF; Buy 4 get £60 OFF
Goodyear 235/45 R17 (97) Y VECTOR 4 SEASON G2 XL

Associate
How close to the legal limit do you let your tyres go?
I'm currently nearing the end of my Bridgestone t001 tyres at a guess I have about 1mm left before it reaches the legal limit and have started to notice a slight loss in grip. Just wondering whether to hold out any longer before changing? They have done 15.5k so far. They have been on since new I'm assuming as I got the car at 8.9k.

Caporegime
Just fitted Falken's new performance tyre the Azenis FK510 to the V70R in 215 45 17. Will see how they do. I was previously quite happy with the ZE914 ER, which has since been replaced by the ZE310 ER, and the FK510 is the big brother performance option released at a similar time.

Replacing Toyo NanoEnergy R41's which were surprisingly decent for a solely eco oriented tyre, but grip levels definitely trailed off more quickly than I'd like, and they couldn't handle the torque at all, I could spin 3rd on mildly moist roads and sometimes 2nd on dry roads. Not surprising really given they are intended to be used on Prius' etc.

The R41's did have excellent sidewall protectors on them though, the biggest I've ever seen, must have stuck out a good CM. Can't really comment on wear sadly because they still had 5+MM left when I binned them. (I didn't measure it) One of them had a ruptured inner sidewall from a pothole...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For two aye.

That's including fitting but it's still expensive.

Next time I'll look into getting a mates Costco card.

Why can't garages ever get my stearing wheel straight and wheel balance perfect.

Mechanics generally seem to not give a ****.

I had mine done through Black Circles - to be fair relatively painless procedure but - got an email on the morning of having them done saying they'd been unable to deliver to the fitting place in time - then had a message from the fitting place confirming the appointment which was confusing... (fortunately they did have them) but I'm not sure they even did any balancing, etc. claimed they did but it was waaaay off with a massive pull to the left so rather than mess about I went into my local Nissan dealer and had them do the alignment/balancing. Next time I think I'll just go through the main dealer as they aren't that expensive and my local one actually do a decent job - but I needed to get them done sooner than their next available appointment.

Wasn't sure I'd made the right decision on the tyres - was a toss up between Pirelli Scorpion ATR and Bridgestone Turanza t005 but having spent a lot more time on the road than off lately and not a lot of sign of a proper winter this year I went with the Turanza and at least as far as the last 3 weeks have gone it was a good call as all I seem to be doing is driving in torrential rain :(

Underboss
How close to the legal limit do you let your tyres go?
I'm currently nearing the end of my Bridgestone t001 tyres at a guess I have about 1mm left before it reaches the legal limit and have started to notice a slight loss in grip. Just wondering whether to hold out any longer before changing? They have done 15.5k so far. They have been on since new I'm assuming as I got the car at 8.9k.

Change them asap
I try and get to about 2-2.5mm

Associate
Change them asap
I try and get to about 2-2.5mm

Done. Well ordered for Thursday. Managed to get some Goodyear Assy 5's for £70.50 per tyre fully fitted on 225/45/17. Not that I really need it I got the XL variant. Although the PS4 is probably the best I wasn't willing to spend £20 per tyre more when these are generally rated very close in most tests.

Associate
Not sure how much the XL will effect your handling but does usually effect the fuel economy rating. It is still a very good tyre for the money.

Associate
Anyone have any recommendations for some 245/45 R19 runflats? Just managed to hit a pot hole in my BMW 6GT and its taken out the front drivers tyre.

Permabanned
Just hit a pothole or more accurately a small crater which instantly destroyed on of my Rainsport 3’s. Really annoyed that the tyre still had plenty of tread but decided to order a pair of Vredestein Ultrac Satins to replace.

Was going to go for the new Rainsport 5’s but the Vredestein’s get pretty good reviews and are similarly priced so we shall see how good they are.

Associate
20200317-180025.jpg
i got some 195/50/15 nankang ns-2r for 59 each delivered for my mx5 but am worried i got sent old ones, not sure if this info means it was made on 17th week of 2019 or 2015? any one care to help

20200317-175956.jpg

for added information am putting them on my Enkei ES tarmac wheels which are around 5.5kg and usually found on rally cars

Associate
i got some 195/50/15 nankang ns-2r for 59 each delivered for my mx5 but am worried i got sent old ones, not sure if this info means it was made on 17th week of 2019 or 2015? any one care to help

20200317-180025.jpg

20200317-175956.jpg

[][]

for added information am putting them on my Enkei ES tarmac wheels which are around 5.5kg and usually found on rally cars

20200313-203029.jpg

Caporegime
Fitted 4x Toyo Proxies Tr1 (the newer model from the T1R) yesterday after getting and advisory on the MOT that my old tyres were getting low. Tread pattern reminds me of Uniroyals.

Yes they are very similar to the Rainsport 3 for tread pattern. The only issue is that they have a directional tread pattern but the tyres aren't sided, so one side will theoretically pull water into the middle of the tyre, but I never experienced any issues.

Let me know how you find them, they were quite good on my S60 T5, not the best tyre in the world but for the money I thought they were very good.

So far I haven't really decided whether I like Falkens new FK510's, they do spin up quite easily, albeit not as easily as the Toyo Nanoenergys they replaced. Perhaps I need to get a few more miles on them. Plus the roads are generally a bit cold and greasy at the moment anyway.

Soldato
Looking at the diagram, the manufacture date is week 17 2019. The 002181/2015 isn't part of the DOT code. If you look at the diagram, the letters DOT come, followed by U8**, then a four digit number, then the manufacture date

Associate
thanks for the help, it was unclear from the two sets of numbers which was the correct code to use. also the tyres look filthy from being loose in a van which made me apprehensive about the date.

i got them for 59 each and i use a decent tyre place that charge 12 each for fitting and balancing with decent valves so not a bad price.

Back
Top Bottom