1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Discussion in 'Motors' started by rossk26, Feb 14, 2013.

1. theNude

Wise Guy

thanks for the help, it was unclear from the two sets of numbers which was the correct code to use. also the tyres look filthy from being loose in a van which made me apprehensive about the date.

i got them for 59 each and i use a decent tyre place that charge 12 each for fitting and balancing with decent valves so not a bad price.

2. GTAMADDOG

Wise Guy

Had two Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5s fitted to the rear this afternoon. Previously had Michelin PS4 tyres on the back, they were at about 2mm remaining, perhaps a fraction more, but with the current situation I decided to get them change now rather so that I can forget about tyres. The Goodyears appear to have got rid of what must have been reasonably bad tyre noise that I have been experiencing on the Michelins for over 8 months or thereabouts, but to be fair to the Michelins I think I was to blame for that due to not getting a wheel alignment straight away after changing some suspension bushes last year which caused them to 'step' along the inside edge. It sounded like a wheel bearing was going, but after not noticing a change to the noise going around corners or the noise getting progressively worse I pretty much decided it was the tyres.

So despite me preferring to have matching tyres all round I now have Michelin PS4 on the front and F1A5s on the back, but when I last had Goodyears (F1A2) I found them to be a good tyre as well so hopefully I won't have any issues. I didn't notice any tram-lining on the way back (it's an E46 with staggered wheels) so that is one concern off the list. If the Goodyears prove to be nearly as good or on par with the Michelins then I will probably switch the fronts to F1A5s when the time comes, assuming I still have the car by then.

3. danlightbulb

Mobster

Just looking for some new tyres myself. Normally use Kwik Fit and going by their rating system, the Goodyear F1A5 is a C for both fuel and rain, whereas the PS4 is a C for fuel and an A for rain.

I have noted on previous cars that the Eagle F1 was awful in snow/ice so I did say I wouldn't buy that again, but it wasn't a problem this winter as we had no snow and now we are coming up to the spring/summer so not sure, they are £23 each cheaper than PS4.

However I could go lower range. The Arrowspeed S01 is only £71 per corner and has a fuel rating of C and rain rating of B.

Everytime I need tyres I am disappointed by the choices and prices on offer.

4. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Your first mistake is paying any attention to the ratings.

Do you really think an Arrow speed is better in the wet than an Eagle F1 AS5?

5. Jez

Caporegime

What is the deal with the ratings, how do we have a situation where £50/corner Accelera tyres for my car have better ratings than some of the leading brands. On the surface it makes no sense even if the bands were really wide and even with a flawed test. :p

6. danlightbulb

Mobster

Kwikfit must have the wrong rating on the F1A5 because other sites show it as an A for wet performance.

The hardest choice for me is whether to go for crossclimates again. Even though we are approaching summer, and even though we had no snow in the winter just gone, I know how well the crossclimates performed compared to the Eagle F1 on my previous car two winters ago.

We had snow (beast from the east) and my previous car could not get anywhere on the F1s i had on it. I then got a rear puncture so I had two new crossclimates put on the front and it was night and day in the snow we had that winter.

7. Lyle44

Gangster

Hey all, need some suggestions for tyres in 205/45/16 (skoda fabia). Current Conti PC2 are heading towards replacement time.
    Having a look at blackcircles at I can get Uniroyal RS5 for £83/corner, Turanza T001 evo for £82 with the next tyre up the Dunlop sport for £92..fitted prices

Out of those 3 which would people suggest? Or anything better similarly priced elsewhere? Cheers

8. coupe69

Mobster

There is simply no comparison between the new Goodyear F1A5 and the ditchfinder that is an Arrowspeed. Just have a look here for confirmation of how good the Goodyear is - Link

9. Participant

Caporegime

Need two new front tyres for a 230bhp fwd hatchback. They're 19" 225 / 35.

Assuming it's between Michelin and Goodyear's sporty offerings? PS vs AS?

Is there a clear preference on this forum or is it a case of hunt for the best deal and go for that?

10. mjt

Capodecina

Michelins last considerably longer.

11. coupe69

Mobster

Longer than what?

12. Simon

Capodecina

Trebor mints of course. the Goodyear AS that are in the post he’s referring to

13. coupe69

Mobster

I presumed this, but just wanted clarification before I asked mjt where he's getting his information from. From the reviews i've seen I can't seem to find any info about the AS5's wearing considerably worse than the PS4's. In fact quite the contrary, looking at the 2019 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test on tyrereviews.co.uk the Goodyear actually beats the Michelin on the wear test - link

14. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It doesn't seem like they do. Goodyear have made massive improvements in wear over the years and all the latest tests with wear projection testing suggest the outlast the PS4.

Which is annoying, as I've now got a set of PS4 fitted :D

15. Simon

Capodecina

Would be interested in the test that review uses.

16. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

They ran them for 15000km and then extrapolated from there.

17. Simon

Capodecina

On a 15,000km long road? What specifics?

18. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

19. ahenners

Wise Guy

You've rated Goodyears for ages, why the switch?

20. Gaygle

Capodecina

Yeah, this. I just got a full set of Michelin PS4's put on my girlfriends car and then only after I started reading about the GY AS5. It's a big jump in all areas over the AS3. And cheaper than the PS4. :(

To be honest, in the top 3 tyres it's often potato pot-at-o. All are so close in performance and price that it can come down to which brand you naturally like most or what tyre wall you prefer the look of!!

I won't have Continental tyres for instance - as they have always worn terribly when I've had them and they did have an issue with the 12 month old tyres drying out and cracking. Michelin have always been more expensive, but hard wearers and excellent performers with good feedback. GY have always been somewhere in between.