**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
I'm looking at tyres for my caravan.

I know they are completely different to car tyres and it doesn't seem that Michelin, Goodyear etc produce in my required size of 195/70/14 96.

Any experience with GT Radial as a brand?

Caporegime
Given it’s a caravan and the tyre won’t be driven or braked I wouldn’t be massively concerned about brand, just plenty of tread so it doesn’t aquaplane.

Man of Honour
Thoughts on replacing my rear 325/30 ZR20 with a 335/30 ZR20?

Cup 2's for my use case are just not up to the job, so need top put more road biased tyres on and keep the Cups for track use. Challenge is there is not a matching 325/30 ZR20 in PS4S, the closest being 335. I ran a slightly wider tyre on the rear of my R8 2nd time out with no issues, but Audi provided 2 different sizes and I went from 1 to the other. Thoughts on this small change?

Fronts are fine, they do that size.

Soldato
I would guess it's such a small change you're fine. 5mm more sidewall might be noticeable visually but the change of rake is unlikely to bother any road use. Less than 1% difference in circumference so can't see it sending any sensors whacky. Definitely better than going down to a 325/25.

Is it just the standing water causing you problems? Could you make do with some fresh Cup2s with more tread?

Soldato
I would guess it's such a small change you're fine. 5mm more sidewall might be noticeable visually but the change of rake is unlikely to bother any road use. Less than 1% difference in circumference so can't see it sending any sensors whacky. Definitely better than going down to a 325/25.

Is it just the standing water causing you problems? Could you make do with some fresh Cup2s with more tread?
I would also say that 335 section would cause no problems, and it's not even 5mm sidewall increase, more like 3mm!

The problem with Cup2 is not really the tread depth...they clear water on a wet surface well enough, but when there's standing water they are easily overwhelmed AND they need heat in them to work, hence they are not a great day-to-day road tyre for our climate.

Man of Honour

The weather has been bad over the last few days so it has probably elevated the issue. However I was on the M6 last Saturday when we had a massive torrential downpour, proper wrath of the God's stuff and for the first time in years I was nervous in a car when behind the wheel. I could not carry more than 50mph, was sitting in the slow (inside) lane and the car was moving all over the place. Now it was a rare cloud eruption but it made the car unsafe and this is not the first time in running water. It's grip point in normal dampness is perfectly doable, but on those big cloud burst moments it is something better parked.

The tyres are 4mm back and 3mm front, so I think also on the limit but there is no getting away that they are a track tyre first. I will be taking the car on track, but 95% of the miles will be on the road and frankly a 4S is a great road tyre, the Cup 2 unless warm and dry, not.

Man of Honour
The problem with Cup2 is not really the tread depth...they clear water on a wet surface well enough, but when there's standing water they are easily overwhelmed AND they need heat in them to work, hence they are not a great day-to-day road tyre for our climate.
This

Underboss
Thats the problem with Cup tyres, you need a lot of heat in them to work efficiently and thats for the dry and wet

once warmed up they will get better and better, but soon as you loose that heat, then they go worse than most tyres

Soldato
Thoughts on replacing my rear 325/30 ZR20 with a 335/30 ZR20?

Cup 2's for my use case are just not up to the job, so need top put more road biased tyres on and keep the Cups for track use. Challenge is there is not a matching 325/30 ZR20 in PS4S, the closest being 335. I ran a slightly wider tyre on the rear of my R8 2nd time out with no issues, but Audi provided 2 different sizes and I went from 1 to the other. Thoughts on this small change?

Fronts are fine, they do that size.

I'm pretty sure Michelin don't do a PS4S in that size. They do a Michelin Pilot SuperSport homologated for the Porsche Carrera GT in 335/30/20, but not a 4S

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure Michelin don't do a PS4S in that size. They do a Michelin Pilot SuperSport homologated for the Porsche Carrera GT in 335/30/20, but not a 4S
They do a PS4S in 335, but not the 325 sadly. I have spoken to Michelin and they have confirmed this annoyingly. Bloody French :D

Man of Honour
Sitting here looking at tyres now. They have a new Cup 2 Connect.....but again, not my size :(

I am doing a road trip to Scotland next month so need to make some decisions before I head North me thinks.

Soldato
My bad luck continues but driving home Wednesday evening the tyre pressure monitor came on for the rear left but I carried on as the car felt fine and I was constantly monitoring the feel whilst driving cautiously.

I think I know the answer to this already but "How safe are tyre repairs" Now I assume when done correctly they are very safe but cannot help knowing it's there and think I would prefer a fresh tyre on but suppose some reassurance in the meantime for a worrier can't hurt!

I needed my car at 7AM and then needed to pick my daughter up from my parents after work so logistically was a pain therefore I called a mobile tyre repair bloke out of hours who didn't stock any tyres in my size therefore has plugged and patched this to "British Standard etc" but he did mention it was quite a large one to repair and to keep an eye on it which hasn't filled me with confidence.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to replace all 4 corners with Goodyear Asymmetric 5's anyway.

YZiqfWN.jpg
m3iL9sV.jpg
7djUGAl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom