**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Sitting here looking at tyres now. They have a new Cup 2 Connect.....but again, not my size :(

I am doing a road trip to Scotland next month so need to make some decisions before I head North me thinks.
Frustrating...neither the new Goodyear SuperSport or the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport are available in your size (or close) either! If you can get close in the PS4S seems the obvious choice and as Clarkey said maybe go up one step on the front to keep the stagger and handling balance the same.

Soldato
I am doing a road trip to Scotland next month so need to make some decisions before I head North me thinks.

What you need are the: Uniroyal Ultra Scottish Rainsport 'Wading' Edition :D

Looks like you don't have much choice in the size you need for the rear.

Soldato
@Gilbert89 It’s in the right place for a repair, it doesn’t look too bad, so as long as a repair is done properly it will be fine. I used to be the same, was not confident on tyre repairs, but having had 1 done for not a lot of £ it was faultless. Never dropped pressure beyond normal loss (same as the other 3 undamaged tyres).

Man of Honour
Frustrating...neither the new Goodyear SuperSport or the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport are available in your size (or close) either! If you can get close in the PS4S seems the obvious choice and as Clarkey said maybe go up one step on the front to keep the stagger and handling balance the same.
Pirelli PZero are available in my size in an MO fitment, but they are crap in my experience.

Soldato
Pirelli PZero are available in my size in an MO fitment, but they are crap in my experience.
My experience in typical cool/cold/wet UK weather is the same, however with a bit of heat in them and especially on track they are actually very good - I had a passenger ride for a few laps in a Ferrari F12 a short while ago shod with Pirelli Pzero and was very impressed with the grip available. Likewise in many laps of the 'ring is a Pzero-shod Boxster (driven very well and quickly by a mate) they were excellent.

I think the main issue is that they don't suit our climate rather than being a crap tyre per se.

Man of Honour
PS4S in the 10mm wider size surely?
Yea that is most likely. I have found that the sensors on this car are very temperamental so awaiting final steer from Mercedes but don't foresee any significant issues. I have had a fair few blips from the electronics on the car already...

Man of Honour
Another issue I am finding....load rating.

Current specification calls for 106, PS4S is 101

Thoughts?

Current reference point to add some details to this discussion.
dnDVn0V.jpg

Caporegime
Load rating is mainly about load at pressure. Hence you see higher pressures on lower load tyres. Personally I wouldn’t worry and compensate with a tweak high pressure within what’s on the fuel cap.

It’s not a heavy car and won’t have 3 passengers in the back. The different of. 101 and 106 is 125kg in simplistic terms. But obviously you are going to be leaning on it and not sure how this relates to dynamic load.

A 101 is rating to 825kg a tyre vs 950kg. But seems on smaller wheels you are ok at 101

Man of Honour
I've stuck a post on a private FaceBook Group for owners I got invited to and MBWorld with this question. I have noticed that US centric places seem to be full of yanks who dive in to tell you what they have done, but rarely answer the questions you are asking, such as the one on loading or sensors. Will be an interesting experiment.

Mercedes and Michelin are also proving to be less than helpful on this matter.....which is annoying. Standard stock none answers seems to be what I have got so far. :(

Soldato
Some of these all season tyres seem to do very well in the snow coming close to winter tyres.
Thinking next time i need winter tyres i may just go with all seasons that perform strong in snow category.
Snow braking summer vs all season tyre is immense difference but not that big a jump going from all season to winter

Man of Honour
Some of these all season tyres seem to do very well in the snow coming close to winter tyres.
Thinking next time i need winter tyres i may just go with all seasons that perform strong in snow category.
Snow braking summer vs all season tyre is immense difference but not that big a jump going from all season to winter

CrossClimate 2 and Pirelli AT Plus get raved about but not experienced them myself - I've used the older Pirelli ATRs and they seemed good. I'll probably be looking at those for the next change on my pickup.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
In my book a tyre is a tyre if you don't own a sports car or drive like Nigel then any decent budget tyre will do for the average car imho
So I guess you never need do to an emergency brake on a wet road then?
What about aquaplaning on the motorway?

Enjoy hitting the armco or that child running out between parked cars.

Associate
In my book a tyre is a tyre if you don't own a sports car or drive like Nigel then any decent budget tyre will do for the average car imho

Yeah... that's not how it works.. I've seen ESC testing where the major difference in the previous model car is the drivetrain (electric vs. petrol) (weight was about 100kg more iirc) and the same tyres just exploded under heavy braking/car leaning during emergency manoeuvre.

So, even deviating from the manufacturer's tyre might cause all sort of issues, but at the very least get some decent tyres if you are replacing existing ones, to ensure that under emergency situations your tyres are actually helping you stay on the road/stop in time.

Soldato

That's a pretty naive statement...

In your book, would you say "a computer is a computer", "a car is a car" or "a phone is a phone"?

In every single product line there is high end premium equipment, mid range stuff and entry level rubbish. Doesn't matter what it is - and everyone can normally appreciate/recognise that.

The difference is, if you get a midrange phone, or an i3 processor in your computer it doesn't compromise yours or anyone elses safety. However, getting cheap unregulated Chinese tat fitted onto your 1.5ton car doing 70mph will compromise your safety by virtue of the fact that they won't slow you down anywhere near as quickly as something which is midrange/premium, and therefore will increase your chance of having a collision.

Back
Top Bottom