**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Just ordered 2 more Goodyear Eagle F1's from Kwikfit.

Just over £80 per tyre for the Superb plus they are chucking in a free hotel stay...no idea what hotels are included but it hooked me!

They are also offering free Mobile fitting so don't even need to drive to a centre.

Seems a great deal.

Associate
Just ordered 2 more Goodyear Eagle F1's from Kwikfit.

Just over £80 per tyre for the Superb plus they are chucking in a free hotel stay...no idea what hotels are included but it hooked me!

They are also offering free Mobile fitting so don't even need to drive to a centre.

Seems a great deal.

That sounds like a great deal! Which Superb do you have? I loked at a MK3 Sportline Plus recently and Goodyear F1A5 were £180 a corner fitted. :eek:

Soldato
That sounds like a great deal! Which Superb do you have? I loked at a MK3 Sportline Plus recently and Goodyear F1A5 were £180 a corner fitted. :eek:

Cheapest I've ever paid and with the hotel stay (not holding my breath of it being a decent one!) Was just a little sweetener.

It's the MK2 Elegance so 225/40/18 tyres.

I'm always playing with the idea of changing but in the grand scheme of things it's cheap to run...although it's service includes the belt and DSG oil change this year so not cheap!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Had the wheels refurbished, which led to massive vibrations due to flatspotted tyres on the wonky wheels for years.
Had the wheels re-refurbished as the lacquer began to crack, thought I could get away with replacing 2 of the very old PSS with Assy 5s.
Still horrendous vibrations from my 2-year-old PS4s :(

Car is off on holiday on Sunday so now need to bend over a barrel for 2 PS4s for over £300 fitted tomorrow :(
Assy 5s were £90 a pop with free fitting as the wheels went back to be re-refurbished. FML :mad:

Man of Honour
Had the wheels re-refurbished as the lacquer began to crack, thought I could get away with replacing 2 of the very old PSS with Assy 5s.
Still horrendous vibrations from my 2-year-old PS4s

Why are you running Pilot Super Sport and PS4 on a 2.0 TDI A6?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I questioned whether his 530d needed PS4S. I had forgotten that PSS > PS4S and PS3 > PS4. Although the PS4 is in another league compared to the PS3.

So now I’ve got F1A5s up front and PS4s on the back. No vibrations or noise anywhere. Having round wheels and tyres is awesome :D

Associate
I would like to make an input in this topic.
I have been driving my Nexen N Blue 4 all season tyres for the last 4 years and guees what? I am still alive! Let's celebrate:D:D:D I am no Nigel, but the grip is adequate for what it is. I have no intention taking the car to the track. Although the tests done by Adac were complimentary. They are Korean though...
Furthermore, I have had mixed tyres! Not just all season, but full on winters "Bridgestone Blizzak" and summer. So to some up if you drive like a loony then no tyres gonna help.

Have a nice day.

Sorry, forgot to mention that my rear axle has different make tyres. I keep my fingers crossed once on a road.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have been driving my Nexen N Blue 4 all season tyres for the last 4 years and guees what? I am still alive!
well those aren't linglong ditchfinders by any stretch of the imagination. so depending on what car/performance you have , may be more than sufficient for daily casual use

Caporegime
I have been driving my Nexen N Blue 4 all season tyres for the last 4 years and guees what? I am still alive! Let's celebrate:D:D:D
I personally find mid-range tyres can often be very good. I haven't tried those in particular, but I've had all sorts. Kuhmos, Falkens, Firestones, Federals, even some which are in the budget category, Three-A P606 (only the P606 though, others I've tried weren't great) - And I drive my cars fairly hard, often too hard. You definitely don't need to break the bank to find a nice progressive tyre with reasonable wet weather performance. Though I have also had Pilot Sports, and even AD08R semi slicks and whatever.

But for many on here, money isn't too much of an issue, so they choose to pay the extra for a bit more performance, and a bit more safety (the results of wet braking tests in particular, are indisputable, but some mid-range tyres do still square up).

It is also worth considering that some premium makes, Michelin and Goodyear in particular, offer far superior wear rates to almost any mid-range tyre, so as long as you drive enough miles before the tyres are getting old or you sell the car, they offer equal if not better value.

Sorry, forgot to mention that my rear axle has different make tyres. I keep my fingers crossed once on a road.

That is less than ideal, and while you probably wouldn't notice in general driving (especially if both are decent tyres individually) I would personally replace one with a part worn tyre thats the same as the other side, so that IF you get in a sticky situation where both rear tyres lose traction, they lose traction at a roughly equal rate, and the cars behaviour is more predictable.

Its not really considered "unsafe" in general driving unless there is, for instance, an exceptionally good tyre like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on one side and an exceptionally bad tyre like a Kenda DitchDiscoverer 9000 on the other side, or a summer tyre on one side and a winter tyre on the other.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I follow a simple adage...Never cut corners on things that keep you stuck to the road and that stop you on the road.

Expensive doesn't always mean better of course, but there is lots of research out there that shows how poor some of the cheap tyre brands are at the basics and suggesting that you should just drive slower is fine until everything stops in front of you on that wet day on a motorway. None of us are perfect so every little bit helps.

Associate
Its not really considered "unsafe" in general driving unless there is, for instance, an exceptionally good tyre like a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on one side and an exceptionally bad tyre like a Kenda DitchDiscoverer 9000 on the other side, or a summer tyre on one side and a winter tyre on the other.

I don't want to be an *******, but are you basing this on some tests or your own experience?

The Nexen tyres were at similar price to any "no name"... Then I saw some tests, not that I believe them entirely to be true. They are around £100 for a set of 4 more expensive than four years ago. This year I shoould be looking for some replacements. I am unlikely to buy any big brand tyres.

There are many vehicles on the road with ditchfinders as they are cheap and cheap for a reason. You should look in any supermarket car park as I some times do.

Soldato
For me Goodyear Eagle F1's were £80 a tyre.

Avon ZX7 or whatever they are called (which I rate as ran on the wife's old car) were around £75

Kwikfits budget specials were around £50.

In my case it's a no brainer going for the Goodyear.

Back
Top Bottom