**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
Any recommendations for 255/30 R20s?

Also wheres a decent place to get deals these days? Black circles seems even more expensive than my local independant!

For what vehicle and kind of use?

Personally I narrow down what tyres I want then see where has the best price and service for my needs - IMO there isn't one best place.

Associate
I'm seeing this with a lot of tyres the last few years, especially the middle of the road tier brands, one winter/summer cycle and the crazy cracking starts to appear that I've not seen previously in tyres until they've a fair few years on them.

Not sure whether it is down to the manufacturer, the stuff they use to treat our roads in winter - which seems to be more and more corrosive these days - or a combination or what.
I noticed that the tyres on my VW up were cracking.

The one tyre that I replaced a couple months after I got it is fine.

My suspicion is that the car sat for a while and this is bad for the tyres (and oil and fluids and so on) and causes premature cracking.

During lockdown, people weren't using their cars, hence why the cracking is worse. It's not a foolproof and tested theory but it's there.

Associate
435i, use is I've driven 6k miles on it 2 and a bit years of ownership :D
I'd go onto a BMW forum and see what they say. I've heard that the PS4 tyres are great but don't last as long as other brands.

I did some heavy research a while ago into tyre brands and models and found that you can often get 80% of the way to a performance tyre for 60% of the cost if you do your homework.

That was in 2019 so not relevant to todays market.

Soldato
I'd go onto a BMW forum and see what they say. I've heard that the PS4 tyres are great but don't last as long as other brands.

I did some heavy research a while ago into tyre brands and models and found that you can often get 80% of the way to a performance tyre for 60% of the cost if you do your homework.

Yeah PS4's or AS5s were what me choice was on the fiesta (before it got nicked) so assumed the same for this but best do some research.

Wow tyres in that spec are expensive WTF? - like twice the price of similar stuff on vehicles I drive.

haha its the 20 that does it. They look amazing but if I were buying the car again it would be the 19's for sure.

Man of Honour
Looks like the selection is pretty limited anyhow in that spec and any of the medium range and upwards tyres are decent choices so you can't really go hugely wrong in that respect (the "medium range" ones would be in the premium range on many other vehicles).

Associate
I usually go off reviews from this website and then look at the price of good performing tyres that aren't an arm and a leg.

eg Nankang Sportnex AS-2 Plus + gets an A rating for wet handling and a C or D for fuel efficiency but isn't a top tier price tyre. 140 pounds for a 255/30 R20 compared to £208.12 for the Yokohama Advan Sport V105S.

Soldato
Just got back from driving to Pembroke, one of the roads had that top surface dressing. My crossclimate 2 were absolutely chock full of small stones in the treads :D had to spend about 30 minutes removing them all (lest they came out at high speed on the motorway and caused cracks/chips to people behind). So that's a potential negative for them, the tread pattern just seemed to vacuum up the stone chips.

Soldato
PS4 or PS4S - I'd not buy anything else at the moment myself. Performance and longevity is crazy good (I use PS4S on my F80 M3 and I got 35k miles out of them).

Yea I'm using PS4, very good.

Only criticism is in very cold weather they are not great, but I reckon they are probably not any worse than most others, it's just they are so good otherwise you notice it more.

I use Michelin tyres on my motorcycle these day as well.

Underboss
Just got back from driving to Pembroke, one of the roads had that top surface dressing. My crossclimate 2 were absolutely chock full of small stones in the treads :D had to spend about 30 minutes removing them all (lest they came out at high speed on the motorway and caused cracks/chips to people behind). So that's a potential negative for them, the tread pattern just seemed to vacuum up the stone chips.

you have the CC 2 ?
when did you fit these?

i use CC +, been brilliant, except in wet when i put my foot down (or even a little)
cold weather they are amazing, but not brill in summer

Soldato

Partially true. The PS4 really doesn't last long, a small amount less time than the Goodyear Asymmetric 5. On my gf's diesel Audi, the front PS4's were gone within 12 months. The GY Eagle F1 A5's lasted around 14 months. She's now got the Michelin PS5's on there and one of the big selling points of the PS5 is that, although they haven't improved the grip massively, they have improved the wear rate dramatically.

For comparison, the PS4S tyre on the rear of my 500bhp heavy C63 is now on 5mm after almost exactly a year and 10k miles (fronts are on 5.5mm after 15k miles at 15 months). I had a similar experience with them on my BMW M3. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the PS4S is magic. How they manage to make it wear so well, and grip so well is beyond me. The PS4 - not so much. It is a really good grippy, comfortable tyre, but the wear rates on it just aren't good enough. The PS5 though has hopefully solved this.

My advice - if you can't get the PS4S, forget the PS4 and get the PS5 or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6.

Back
Top Bottom