• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

Associate
Hopefully this was captured on consoles since at least some of the video is made capturing consoles gaming, so maybe that's why we see 18.6 FPS at 4k native.

Soldato
Yeah but they say the TSR is activated by default so if you overclock it, then you may get 43 FPS. :)
Really who cares what card they used? The performance uplift is what counts so if you get 40 FPS instead of 20, that's 2times the perf of native. In their case it is 2.3times more.

On by default for amd only or for Nvidia too? It's confusing because I'm not a developer and not familiar with using the software, someone else will figure it out. For now will be good if others can download to see what numbers they get and see if they can toggle settings

Soldato
Oh by the way make sure you got drive space, this tiny tech demo weights in at 100GB, can't wait to see how big full size next gen games will be :D

Associate
But 2.3x the performance is something. It shows how costly is native rendering vs upscaling. And it proves it can be done without "dedicated hardware". :)
I don't think you get 2.3x the performance with DLSS performance ( or whatever the setting is to turn 1080p into 4k ).

86-E78-D32-527-D-49-F0-B49-F-64-EC28767-FAB.jpg

Soldato
They have a single screnshot with TSR and it doesn't look too bad, if it won't make bad artifacts then it should be good at least for consoles and older hardware. The perf increase is around 2.3X (from 18.6FPS native 4k to 43FPS upscaled from 1080p).

I am sure some reviewers will try to convince us how bad the TSR is on this engine because DLSS is a big selling point for Nvidia and it is built on a lot of marketing BS about AI and neural networks, but for me the TSR looks the same.

image_5.png

image_6.png

It's been confirmed both of these screenshots are at 1152p and likely taken from Xbox Series X demo. That explains why both look soft, which unfortunately makes it difficult to compare them.

Have read that apparently with TSR on, motion is horrible?

Users on r/AMD who have figured out how to turn On and Off F/TSR have said this:

* When the camera is still F/TSR On and Off look similar, it does a good job at upsampling the image.

* However, as soon as the camera moves the image completely degrades down to 1080p quality. When the camera stops moving, after a couple seconds the image goes back up to near 4k quality.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
* However, as soon as the camera moves the image completely degrades down to 1080p quality

I don't know if related and/or how much is YT compression but I wasn't very impressed with the latest video of the scene when in motion there was an odd shimmering on surfaces, barely apparent but enough to break up my feeling of continuity of the scene.

Associate
But that is the problem with upscaling, every trick will degrade IQ while moving. In fact any form of temporal upscaling will have problems while moving because there is not enough information to make a crisp image.
Plus there are other downsides for upscaling, like the fact that you'll get worse RT since the upscaling won't increase the number of rays as the native image does. This is something most reviews will not talk about, that RT reflections for example look worse with DLSS.

Soldato
By the way, I found this interesting.

This is the recommended system specification for running Unreal Engine 5 and this Valley of Ancient demo at 30fps (super resolution on)

CPU: 12 cores at 3.4ghz or better
GPU RTX 2080 or better. 5700xt or better (needs to support Shader Model 5.0)
RAM: 32GB RAM or more
Storage: SSD, faster the better

Last edited:
Associate
By the way, I found this interesting.

This is the recommended system specification for running Unreal Engine 5 and this Valley of Ancient demo at 30fps (super resolution on)

CPU: 12 cores at 3.4ghz or better
GPU RTX 2080 or better. 5700xt or better (needs to support Shader Model 5.0)
RAM: 32GB RAM or more
Storage: SSD, faster the better
So Lumen is worse than RTGI since you need a pretty powerful card to get to 30 FPS with "DLSS" set to performance. :D

Soldato
The valley of ancients demo appears to run faster on amd hardware. I've only got a small sample size though, there a YouTube channel that has put up rtx3090 video and one of the 6900xt video. The 6900xt appears to be averaging 10% higher fps

Associate
I was talking about the perf hit. If Lumen can work at half the cost of RTGI, then it is already a win.
The valley of ancients demo appears to run faster on amd hardware. I've only got a small sample size though, there a YouTube channel that has put up rtx3090 video and one of the 6900xt video. The 6900xt appears to be averaging 10% higher fps
Wait until Nvidia will put their dev tools inside UE5, it will cut the AMD perf by half. :D
Epic needs AMD for their engine to be optimized for consoles. But for PC's the UE5 games will be made with a lot of plugins from Nvidia so there is no reason to worry.

Plus if the demo is upscaled from 1080p by default, then it is normal for the 6900xt to be ahead even in "4K".

Soldato
I was talking about the perf hit. If Lumen can work at half the cost of RTGI, then it is already a win.

Wait until Nvidia will put their dev tools inside UE5, it will cut the AMD perf by half. :D
Epic needs AMD for their engine to be optimized for consoles. But for PC's the UE5 games will be made with a lot of plugins from Nvidia so there is no reason to worry.

Plus if the demo is upscaled from 1080p by default, then it is normal for the 6900xt to be ahead even in "4K".

speaking of Nvidia dev tools lol, it's confirmed Nvidia and Epic will also be adding DLSS, RTX, Reflec etc and Nvidia optimizations to the engine https://wccftech.com/nvidia-reflex-support-already-in-ue5-dlss-support-coming-soon/

We also have our first game announcement

Dragon Quest 12 will be one of the very first Unreal Engine 5 game released

Permabanned
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom