Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Man of Honour
Might be a memory leak in 58.0.2 - second time in the last 2-3 days its been using like 5-6GB of RAM and climbing (pretty much a clean install without additional addons, etc. except dictionary/spelling stuff).

EDIT: Looks like it might be an issue with YouTube rather than the browser itself per se - at random a video will cause it to go nuts allocating a lot of memory before eventually coming back down again.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there information on the memory resources that Utube uses ?,
with its pervasive use, embedded in sites, like OC forums, even with click to play I look on it as a major hog, cueing up streams etc.
and usually use noscript so that utube embeds are disabled from OC, and will open them in another frame if worthwhile ... but I would like a better solution

V F

V F

Soldato
Might be a memory leak in 58.0.2 - second time in the last 2-3 days its been using like 5-6GB of RAM and climbing (pretty much a clean install without additional addons, etc. except dictionary/spelling stuff).

EDIT: Looks like it might be an issue with YouTube rather than the browser itself per se - at random a video will cause it to go nuts allocating a lot of memory before eventually coming back down again.

I've seen it creep to 8GB.

Soldato
Well that's just great. Firefox updated to Quantum without my permission, and has wiped out my group tabs (no longer supported).

There doesn't seem to be a replacement (unless anyone can point me to one).

Is there another browser that supports group tabs that's any good?

So annoying,

Happy days, Simple tab Groups has been released.

I've gotten my groups back.

Hated using Edge.

Soldato
Now that I have been using FF again since Quantum released I have found a few issues that crop up infrequently:

1. I have come across the odd one or two websites that don't render correctly. (Open it in Edge and it is fine)

2. Occasionally the browser becomes very laggy. Looking at task manager shows a tab(?) or at least a process is using up 4.5Gb of ram and growing.... until I restart the browser.

Soldato
Now Scriptblock is starting to be disabled on Chrome I made the full switch over the weekend to FF and duckduckgo for my searches. I tried noscript but it's not the same as scriptblock was and Umatrix seems to involved compared to scriptblock, now I'm running without any dedicated scriptblocker.

Addons I've got installed currently are:

Ublock Origin,
Lastpass,
HTTPS Everywhere,
Duckduckgo privacy essentials,
Flagfox,
Facebook container.

Working well so far not had any issues with sites when using their default themes.

Permabanned
Made the switch from Chrome+Google to Firefox+DuckDuckGo this week. Going well so far. Happy to have less Google in my life.
Still going strong, some more detail for ppl who want to make the switch:

Extensions:
- uBlock Origin (ad blocker, works on mobile)
- DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials (visible privacy rating, https everywhere, tracking blocker, doesn't work on mobile)

Settings:
- Tracking Protection ON, with Strict blocklist (tracking blocker, works on mobile)

Soldato
I've been doing the browser merry-go round at the moment, Chrome, Firefox and Edge. I actually like Edge browser but in a similar vein to Windows Phone the lack of third party support, extensions etc is an issue for me. So I'll probably settle with Firefox.

Caporegime
After having switched to chrome for the past good few years (it was faster than firefox at the time, I like chrome/google's integration amongst a nicer UI) after years of using firefox, I've decided to try firefox again......

Firefox is defiently a little more snappy than chrome now and has some nice little additions so I'll stick with it for the time being but once google chrome gets its makeover in September, I'll probably switch back again :p

Also, firefox uses more RAM than chrome for me (same number of addons installed, actually I lie, I have more installed for chrome..... i.e. google docs, drive etc.), with firefox, I just have stylish, ublock, enhanced steam and push bullet.

EDIT:

Also, this does my head in...... stylish/ocuk looks better in chrome i.e. the font and the buttons:

61yc7fb.jpg

EDIT:

Imgur has compressed the image quite poorly so the difference isn't as noticeable :/

EDIT:

And back to chrome I go, this forum font + style theme was doing my head in on firefox!

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently got around to installing the Facebook container add-on and so far have no issues with it. They updated it to also include Instagram.

Anyone using Pocket? I've actually decided to give it a proper go with it now. Trying to replace Pushbullet with it and saving articles is actually pretty nice. Although no notification if I want to "push" something to my phone.

Soldato
After having switched to chrome for the past good few years (it was faster than firefox at the time, I like chrome/google's integration amongst a nicer UI) after years of using firefox, I've decided to try firefox again......

Firefox is defiently a little more snappy than chrome now and has some nice little additions so I'll stick with it for the time being but once google chrome gets its makeover in September, I'll probably switch back again :p

Also, firefox uses more RAM than chrome for me (same number of addons installed, actually I lie, I have more installed for chrome..... i.e. google docs, drive etc.), with firefox, I just have stylish, ublock, enhanced steam and push bullet.

EDIT:

Also, this does my head in...... stylish/ocuk looks better in chrome i.e. the font and the buttons:

61yc7fb.jpg

EDIT:

Imgur has compressed the image quite poorly so the difference isn't as noticeable :/

EDIT:

And back to chrome I go, this forum font + style theme was doing my head in on firefox!

Daft as it sounds try switching to the 'original' blue skin on the forum, I was having issues with the dark theme and did raise them in the bug thread but they never got fixed, using the 'original' blue skin has fixed any problems I had with the forum layout / display.

Caporegime
Daft as it sounds try switching to the 'original' blue skin on the forum, I was having issues with the dark theme and did raise them in the bug thread but they never got fixed, using the 'original' blue skin has fixed any problems I had with the forum layout / display.

That helped a bit, thanks but chrome font still looks better, that and I use the dark theme on my tablet + phone, so it is a bit of faff having to switch back and forth between dark and blue.

Soldato

EDIT:

61yc7fb.jpg

EDIT:

EDIT:

I always found fonts where better in Chrome. Especially OcUK forums. But having switched back to Firefox since Quantum launched I've all but forgotten that the text used to look better in Chrome. :p

Soldato
I use noscript, but do not have any specific add-on related to cookies - any recommendations ? something that may restrict domains able to create them.

This question was prompted, after seeing below, the cookies being used by philips/electronics site;
I was shocked, and would block all but 'required cookies'

41505804501_7580e43b52_o_d.jpg

I just saw firefox is changing will be changing it's strategy https://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/26/mozilla-removes-individual-cookie-management-in-firefox-60/

slightly off thread - had not realised Google pays Apple to remain default search engine on ios
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/14/goo...lion-to-remain-default-search--bernstein.html
sounds like monopolies organisations should investigate ???

Back
Top Bottom