Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
...so how do you check out that new version will be compatible with existing extensions before pressing the button ... or is everything pretty stable.?
I always install new versions in parallel before I commit.

Soldato
Updated to v69, wonder with the new inbuilt tracking protection if you'll need to use Privacy Badger anymore?

I'm still using a mix of both, while both seem to do the same thing, they seem to do it differently. For example the inbuilt one is too powerful and triggers Inoreader's adblock detector message, while Privacy Badger doesn't. And then there's some sites which I use Google login which the inbuilt one doesn't seem to block, but Privacy Badger does (once I'm signed in though I can reenable PB).

Soldato
If you could customise tracking settings the same way that you can with uBlock Origin and Ghostery, then I might be tempted to ditch Ghostery. I think the ad-blocking would need a lot more work before I ditched uBlock Origin.

Man of Honour
Lockwise is brilliant. Been using it on Android for some months and being able to log in with saved credentials in other apps which have web logins saved is quite handy. I know Google does this with Autofill but I don't use Chrome.

Man of Honour
Can someone test something out quick? in about:config find network.http.speculative-parallel-limit and confirm what the value is set to? Mine is set to 0 and status is "modified". I might have modified it ages ago I just forgot. Want to set back to default. The setting precaches webpages when you hover over a link to speed up loading when you actually click.

Soldato
Can someone test something out quick? in about:config find network.http.speculative-parallel-limit and confirm what the value is set to? Mine is set to 0 and status is "modified". I might have modified it ages ago I just forgot. Want to set back to default. The setting precaches webpages when you hover over a link to speed up loading when you actually click.

Default is 6, but mine is also set to 0. It's one of many privacy tweaks, which may be why you modified it to begin with. On macOS I'm still seeing Firefox nightly (i.e. later than 70 release) using slightly more power than Brave on the same machine. Power stats are averaging around

Safari: 3.5w CPU, 15.5W total system draw
Brave: 4.5w CPU, 17W total system draw
Firefox: 5.5w CPU, 20W total system draw

I realise this is in Windows but it's still the Firefox thread, and one of v70-release's biggest fanfares was the massively reduced power consumption on macOS. Not quite there yet it seems.

Man of Honour
Ah yes probably right thanks!

I've noticed when clicking external links on odd occasions that I will get the following:

PDvmcaT.jpg

So far this has only happened on links I click on through reddit, and it only happens randomly. Clicking restore loads the tab and content just fine however so seems a bit weird.

Soldato
Ah yes probably right thanks!

I've noticed when clicking external links on odd occasions that I will get the following:

PDvmcaT.jpg

So far this has only happened on links I click on through reddit, and it only happens randomly. Clicking restore loads the tab and content just fine however so seems a bit weird.

I get that occasionally opening new tabs especially with Twitch streams.

I wonder now with the improved tracking protection built into the browser if privacy badger will start becoming more redundant.

V F

V F

Soldato
Impressed with v70 so far, it's the first version with the new icon too that seems to have caused debates on the subreddit.

Were they freaking out? I will say it's different and strange to see but who remembers when it was Pheonix?

Back
Top Bottom