Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Man of Honour
How ironic that the update to version 66 which is the version that was much hyped about blocking autoplay videos and now I have videos autoplaying all the time again and no matter what I change I can't fix it this time. Blasted Mozilla and their "improvements"!! Might have to ditch Firefox for another browser (not Chrome) if I can't sort this out. I am getting sick and fed up with the lack of control and choices from software such as Windows and Firefox these days.

V F

V F

Soldato
How ironic that the update to version 66 which is the version that was much hyped about blocking autoplay videos and now I have videos autoplaying all the time again and no matter what I change I can't fix it this time. Blasted Mozilla and their "improvements"!! Might have to ditch Firefox for another browser (not Chrome) if I can't sort this out. I am getting sick and fed up with the lack of control and choices from software such as Windows and Firefox these days.

Windows, Firefox, Razer, GeForce Experience...

Soldato
ersion that was much hyped about blocking autoplay videos and now I have videos autoplaying all the time again
don't you just block media player url resources with noscript/ublock on web-sites by default. ?
If I rarely (even on oc), see a video of interest I will view directly at utube site, which is unblocked.

Soldato

I switched to Waterfox a long time i.e. the time Quantum was released. No such problems here...

Soldato

Ah?

Just go: preferences - privacy and security - click 'block websites from automatically playing sound'

Make sure you don't have any exceptions in there.

Boom done.

Man of Honour
@opethdisciple Already had that ticked and never have any exceptions. The sound isn't what's bugging me although that is good to get rid of as well. The problem is that some sites including ESPN F1 (sound still works there) and a lot of the tech sites autoplay video as soon as you click on a article/review and on some of them even when you scroll down they resize the vid into a smaller box so it's always in front of you unless you click the X in the top right hand corner to close it. This is extremely annoying and I don't want this to happen. I have been able to stop this from happening in previous versions of Firefox by tweaking the about.config but in this version that is supposed to block autoplay video nothing works to stop it. I wish there was a addon similar to adblock that just stops autoplay once and for all. I am just downloading Waterfox to give that a go.

Soldato
Indeed. The web is a scary place without security. This ended up fixing the issue for me as the other fixes didn’t work. Hope Mozilla learn from this because centralised signing of add-ons was always a bad idea.

https://reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkmkt3/_/emhxg2x/?context=1
Thanks, this just worked for me too. Changed the settings back to default after my add-ons enabled and all seems well so far. :cool:

This issue is proving to be a headache.

Soldato
Firefox keeps asking me for my master password each time I load Firefox. My homepage is Google and it never did this until this morning. :confused:

Soldato
Apparently this is available in FF 67:

Cryptomining and fingerprinting blocks are disabled by default — at least for now. But you can activate them in a couple of clicks in the browser settings under “Privacy & Security.”

But.... I cant find it!

Soldato
Well that was weird, updated to 67 by going to Help -> About Firefox, and when it had to restart, it crashed. Loaded up and then when it was reloading my tabs some of them was crashing. Completely closed Firefox and reopened it, and now it's stable. Webrender doesn't seem to be enabled for me so no idea what was causing the crashing mess.

Soldato
Until today I have been using the standard level for content blocking.

However now i have enabled custom and the following: trackers (lvl 1), crypto-miners and finger printers.

That shouldn't break anything I hope. Apparently enabling the tracking protection can actually speed up your browsing.

Back
Top Bottom