Upgrade Advice Please - Last Build 2014

Associate
Last build was in 2014 and have since added some RAM and an SSD but I think it its now time to look at CPU, MBoard, etc.

Current system

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel Series 8
Gaphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
MBoard: ASUS H81M-PLUS LGA1150 CPU Socket
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM CT102464BD160B.M16 240-Pin DIMM Unbuffered PC3-12800
PSU: EVGA 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE POWER SUPPLY (100-B1-0600-KR)
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003, 1TB SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Disk Drive - (6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache) ST100DM003-1CH162.
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus Black AXT Mid Tower Case Motherboard Support Standard ATX, Micro ATX. Max VGA Lerngth 360mm PC1 Expansion Slots 7.

Note: I have 2 external 3½" hard drives 4TB and 1TB.

My use of the PC is for photo editing primarily as I am a keen amateur photographer. I do dabble in basic GoPro / Drone video editing but only one or twice a year after a holiday and some web site work for our golf trips. No Gaming.

From above I was thinking I will need to look at Motherboard, CPU, RAM and perhaps Graphics card.
I hope to continue to use the Case, SSD, HD, and PSU.
Is this a sensible approach and what would be recommended?
Is it doable for a budget of say £600-£750?

Thanks in advance as any assistance will be appreciated.

Hi.

Gpu are expensive so i probablly reuse the gtx 660 until funds allow. Personally for your needs a 3800x 8 core would be a good option . 32gb of memory but could drop to 16gb. There are newer cpu's but for that price and your needs i think this is a good option.

DE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £530.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Breaking News!
My son has just plonked on my desk a GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 970 G1 card that comes from an old PC he had and there is also a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS, 80+ GOLD 650W PSU.
Will these help with my upgrade as they appear to be slight improvements on mine?
Thanks for the advice so far. Is AMD a better option than Intel for photo editing?

Breaking News!
My son has just plonked on my desk a GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 970 G1 card that comes from an old PC he had and there is also a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS, 80+ GOLD 650W PSU.
Will these help with my upgrade as they appear to be slight improvements on mine?
Thanks for the advice so far. Is AMD a better option than Intel for photo editing?
The gtx 970 is a massive improvement over your 660 and the evga is a good unit.

As for Amd v Intel

Intel have just released there Alderlake cpus which have good performance but motherboards are expensive. The reason i specced the 3800x is your not a heavy user and not wasting your money on more powerful cpu, although the 3800x is a very capable cpu.

Example the 5800x 8 core is £100 more than the 3800x but maybe 20% faster at best.

Read some reviews on the 12600k and 12700k but focus on rendering not gaming.

With Intel just releasing the LGA 1700 socket while I appreciate the power is far more than I require currently would this not provide a better opportunity for a future easy cpu upgrade. The AMD AM4 socket will be replaced next year so future upgrades would likely require a new motherboard again.
What are AMD doing next one wonders and when.
Decisions decisions!

AMD releasing 3d v cache CPU end of Jan from leaks that'll give a 15% uplift compared to current 5000 series CPU's, but they said that for gaming, so productivity work don't know. Then end of next year they will release their 6000 series CPU's on am5 platform with ddr5., so am4 coming to the end of its life as such.
Alderlake CPU are def better in productivity then current ryzen, and performance of a 12600 could is comparable to 5800x, and 12700 beats a 5900x. Downside is mob's more expensive...and you have to choose either a ddr4 board(and ddr5 hugely expensive) or ddr4...they are not cross compatible...for gaming ddr5 not worth it as uplift is 3-5% at 1080p, for over double the cost. For productivity work the extra bandwidth of ddr5 may be worthwhile depending on work. However, even ddr4 version beats ryzen atm until the v cache chips arrive.
If going Intel, next CPU, raptorlake will fit into the 1700 socket giving you one more upgrade..after that, who knows

Below would be a very powerful PC, CPU beating 5900X, and I think worth £20 more to get the onboard gpu as well..can come in useful if you're without a gpu or troubleshooting...there is no performance difference between the k and kf variant either. You can get the crucial ballistix ram for £149 which is better as 3600c16 rather than c18 in corsair, past week prices were reversed so this is just a smidge cheaper. If you want to spend less the 12600k OEM version you is £248.99, so saving a further £130 over the 12700k. You could also drop to 16gb of ram, the crucial is £79.99
Going with the 5700g 8 core ryzen, they had to cut the L3 cache in half to fit the GPU on the silicone, which hampers its performance, so it's not as powerful as a straight 5800x

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £779.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Yes, sorry, you would need a cooler for the Intel build. Guessing would have to be air cooling as don't think you can fit an aio with case.. from looking at quick review of case you can take a cooler up to 150mm, so either below would fit..both can cool CPU of tdp over 200, but brocken 3 slightly bigger so would go with that for the 12700. I think you'll have to get an adaptor to fit to a z690 board. Ocuk were advertising for £4 but out of stock.
I'd consider a nvme drive as well as far faster than what you have, just use your existing hhd as storage, but put OS on nvme..a 1tb sn550 is £69 as a basic drive, sn750 pcie4 £114 and pcie4 sn850 £150 odd.

Total: £97.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

I have O/S on a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB is this not a sensible option?

It will do but below is a comparison of your ssd vs 870 m.2. In a lot of cases there's little difference, in others there are, and a modern pcie4 would be even quicker, so the transfer of photo's etc should make a difference. Just if you're looking at a new mobo/cpu/ram etc, it is something else to look at, but not essential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYJVLkmxb2I&ab_channel=IchDu

If op speed isnt essential, then the ryzen option is a cheaper alternative. @mickyflinn put a 3800X in a build to keep cost down. Other option is to put a 5600X in..6 core rather than 8 but single core run faster, and think you'll see a slight uplift. May have to check a few comparisons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAHlcN1fw7Q&ab_channel=NJTech

or put a 5800X..or wait till Jan and get the new chips...the platform may be replaced end of next year, but being mature, it's stable and fast at the mo.

lots of options, and a lot depends how often you upgrade. If you don't plan on upgrading in a few years, then I'd spend more now and get the best you can. If you plan on upgrading in a couple years when DDR5 is more mainstream and prices normalise, then I'd lower budget and get a reasonable system

How does this setup look?

Total: £679.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Then use with existing components:

Graphics Card: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 970 G1
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS, 80+ GOLD 650W
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
Disk Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003, 1TB SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Disk Drive - (6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache) ST100DM003-1CH162.
Case: Zalman Z3 Plus Black AXT Mid Tower Case Motherboard Support Standard ATX, Micro ATX. Max VGA Lerngth 360mm PC1 Expansion Slots 7.

Hopefully this will give me a big upgrade now and options in the future to make further improvements.

Any issues/concerns about this plan and chosen components?

no wifi on the mobo...just checking you don't need it? is 500gb nvme big enough? the 1tb on offer too at £119, or the sn750 at £89 which is no slouch either. But yes, going to be a lovely system I think

Just asked Gibbo for a list of Overclockers Alderlake compatable coolers straight out of the box.

Would make speccing so much easier.

https://www.xda-developers.com/cpu-coolers-socket-lga-1700/

found that quickly...
Artic
Artic has also confirmed it’s making LGA 1700 mounting brackets for some of its existing coolers. In fact, it’ll offer them for free of charge to consumers with a valid purchase receipt. Artic will provide LGA 1700 mounting kits for its CPU coolers mentioned below:

• All Freezer 34 models
  • Liquid Freezer II series
  • Freezer 50
  • Freezer i13 X and Freezer i13 X CO
meant to be painting a ceiling atm:cry:

https://www.xda-developers.com/cpu-coolers-socket-lga-1700/

found that quickly...
Artic
Artic has also confirmed it’s making LGA 1700 mounting brackets for some of its existing coolers. In fact, it’ll offer them for free of charge to consumers with a valid purchase receipt. Artic will provide LGA 1700 mounting kits for its CPU coolers mentioned below:

• All Freezer 34 models
  • Liquid Freezer II series
  • Freezer 50
  • Freezer i13 X and Freezer i13 X CO
meant to be painting a ceiling atm:cry:
Be careful painting around the socket :D

Back
Top Bottom