Upgrade Advice Please - Last Build 2014

no wifi on the mobo...just checking you don't need it? is 500gb nvme big enough? the 1tb on offer too at £119, or the sn750 at £89 which is no slouch either. But yes, going to be a lovely system I think
The PC will be connected via Ethernet so Wi-Fi not a major miss, would have gone for the MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4 had it been available.

As I am not a gamer and PC will be mainly used for photo editing I was planning to store images on larger hard drive so will 500 GB not be OK for O/S and programs? With 42% off the WD Black 500GB this looks a very good option I thought.

I also have the Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB and initially a 1TB 3½" hard drive. This 3½" HD could be replaced with a larger one in the not to distant future. I also have 2 external 3½" hard drives 4TB and 1TB but not sure if the thunderbolt headers on the M/B will a benefit for these or how I make use of them?

Good point with regards to cooler mounting brackets, looks like Artic are offering to provide them FOC with proof of purchase. https://www.arctic.de/en/support/lga1700-mounting-kits/

Just noted that this board TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 is priced at £280 but with a rebate of £70 very close to the Gigabyte Gaming X board I had chosen. Would this be a better option?

Order placed and as usual gone over budget!

As ASUS board is out of stock I have reverted to the MSI Tomahawk. Added a case and 1TB WD Black SN750 drive. Short term I will use the used GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 970 G1 card and EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS, 80+ GOLD 650W PSU donated by my son and I have also acquired a 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD as an archive.

Believe that this will last me a while as it should provide scope for some easy future upgrades, graphics card, power supply, ram etc. Short term I hope to see a good improvement in performance from my last build in 2014 as it will be used mainly for photo editing.

Thanks to those who provided advice and if anything looks wrong do let me know.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £860.20 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Thanks for pointing this out as I was not aware of the difference. Having looked at the link you provided it would appear that the performance of the 1TB version is much closer to the performance of the original than the smaller 250 & 500 MB SE options. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Is there another one you think would be better within £20 or so or stick with the SE?

Thanks for pointing this out as I was not aware of the difference. Having looked at the link you provided it would appear that the performance of the 1TB version is much closer to the performance of the original than the smaller 250 & 500 MB SE options. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Is there another one you think would be better within £20 or so or stick with the SE?
That's correct but if you want a pcie4 m2 gonna cost you another £30 not sure it's worth it.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...3d-nand-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-074-cr.html

Back again for more advice to avoid a wrong selection.

I think I need to get a power supply as the unit from my son only has a single CPU cable and I believe the motherboard requires two. What would be a sensible option without breaking the bank?

Back again for more advice to avoid a wrong selection.

I think I need to get a power supply as the unit from my son only has a single CPU cable and I believe the motherboard requires two. What would be a sensible option without breaking the bank?
The 2nd CPU power connector is only really for LN2 overclocking so should be just fine with the single lead connected.

Back
Top Bottom