Upgrade for gaming - rebuild or new system?

Associate
OP
It really depends on the resolution you want to game at. If you are just gaming at 1080P then a single 290 will chew through most games no problem. You can always add a second later on if it starts to struggle.

I heard thought to play Star citizen you need at least 8gbs of graphics, but am not sure how true that is.

So when the cpu is released in a few week should i just go ahead and order it to build from overclockers?

how do you guys get recognition for all the advice you give? is there a way to support you?

Soldato
I heard thought to play Star citizen you need at least 8gbs of graphics, but am not sure how true that is.

So when the cpu is released in a few week should i just go ahead and order it to build from overclockers?

how do you guys get recognition for all the advice you give? is there a way to support you?

I think you might be getting mixed up with System Ram. If the game uses a lot of Ram then just go with 16GB instead of 8GB as you have a healthy budget :)

Regarding the upcoming cpu's it looks like they might be delayed until September.

See here - http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_devil’s_canyon_delayed_to_late_september_2014.html

Associate
OP
Virtual Beer ? :D Just be thankful that Ethermaster hasn't seen this thread yet, or your £2000 budget could quite easily become £3000 :D

lol I thought it might be like twitch.tv in the regards to following a streamer, like if you guys got x amount of posts or trusts then you might get recognised that way and rewarding or something I guess.

I looked at my OS its Windows 7 premium home 64bit, but i was think of going for 8.1 to keep up with the times.

Associate
OP
I think you might be getting mixed up with System Ram. If the game uses a lot of Ram then just go with 16GB instead of 8GB as you have a healthy budget :)

Regarding the upcoming cpu's it looks like they might be delayed until September.

See here - http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/intel_devil’s_canyon_delayed_to_late_september_2014.html

Hmmm should I wait till September? how much better is the intel refresh? I mean if its revolutionary I don't mind waiting.

I might go with 16GB ram but am sure my friend said that two of the best graphics cards now will only play Star Citizen on medium graphics settings when it released next year.

Soldato
lol I thought it might be like twitch.tv in the regards to following a streamer, like if you guys got x amount of posts or trusts then you might get recognised that way and rewarding or something I guess.

I looked at my OS its Windows 7 premium home 64bit, but i was think of going for 8.1 to keep up with the times.

I just had to google twitch.tv, so it shows what I know :D

If you want Win 8.1 then go for it. There is nothing wrong with Win 7 (I use it myself) but as you say it is the current operating system.

Also Windows 8.1 allows for more system Ram to be installed (Max of 128GB) on the standard version.

Soldato
Hmmm should I wait till September? how much better is the intel refresh? I mean if its revolutionary I don't mind waiting.

I might go with 16GB ram but am sure my friend said that two of the best graphics cards now will only play Star Citizen on medium graphics settings when it released next year.

The upcoming cpu's won't be anything special in regards to performance over current ones. They will be slightly faster out of the box, but the biggest plus was the fact that they will run cooler than current cpu's due to the improved thermals. So obviously lower temps is better for overclocking and also temps within your case should be a bit lower.

I must admit I am not familiar with Star Citizen, so i am in no position to disagree with your Friend :) Are the required specs out for the game yet?

Associate
OP
The upcoming cpu's won't be anything special in regards to performance over current ones. They will be slightly faster out of the box, but the biggest plus was the fact that they will run cooler than current cpu's due to the improved thermals. So obviously lower temps is better for overclocking and also temps within your case should be a bit lower.

I must admit I am not familiar with Star Citizen, so i am in no position to disagree with your Friend :) Are the required specs out for the game yet?

here is the Star Citizen speccs http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=5490&game=Star Citizen

But would you personally wait for the new cpu or would you just use the one you added to the basket?

Soldato
I think it might be worth waiting a week or so and see if the delay is for definite, and then decide after that.

Even if you are not too bothered about overclocking, it is still worth getting a 'k' cpu (Either current or the upcoming one) as it gives you an overclocking option later on.

Associate
OP
ok cool thanks, lol i didnt realise we were on page two i was still looking on page1 for reply's.

The overclocking confuses me, i understand there is different levels and that it basically give the hardware more potential. Id have no idea if i needed it tho or if it would be worth it and what were the consequences if it was to be overclocked.

So do i just email ocuk about building it? or is there a forum i should post on?

Soldato
ok cool thanks, lol i didnt realise we were on page two i was still looking on page1 for reply's.

The overclocking confuses me, i understand there is different levels and that it basically give the hardware more potential. Id have no idea if i needed it tho or if it would be worth it and what were the consequences if it was to be overclocked.

So do i just email ocuk about building it? or is there a forum i should post on?

I would post in the Customer Services section once you have an idea of your build. You could even ask ocuk to give you a quote for overclocking the pc as well if you wanted.

It isn't required that you overclock. My 3570K is at stock at the moment because it does what i need it to do. Once it starts to struggle a bit then I will look at overclocking it.

This is the pre-sales section - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=117

Your post there will only be visible to you and the customer services team :)

I don't know if I posted the link for the Shopping cart so here it is:

Chrome - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ocuk-shopping-cart-viewer/empfloiadabicdlgahhamannadefhehj

Other browsers - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18371076&highlight=browser

It will make things easier when posting your list of components.

Soldato
That's great,

so am ready to order I think, so do you think its best if I stick with your original basket and wait for the cpu then?

I would check with Customer Services regarding the upcoming cpu's as there are rumours around that they might be delayed until September.

Anyway here is a revised spec with the upcoming i7 4790K as a placeholder. If it is indeed delayed then you could swap it for the i7 4770K if you don't want the wait.

The 850W psu so that you can add a second graphics card when you decide you need more power :D

YOUR BASKET
1 x Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II OC 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card - Red £329.99
1 x Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £269.99
1 x Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7TE250BW) £119.98
1 x Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard £109.99
1 x EVGA SuperNova G2 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply £107.99
1 x Corsair Carbide 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case - Black (CC-9011030-WW) £98.95
1 x Corsair Hydro H105 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060016-WW ) £89.99
1 x Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Red (HX21C11BRK2/8-OC) £61.99
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD £43.99
Total : £1,247.86 (includes shipping : £12.50).

I don't know if you like the Corsair 540 case as that is personal preference. If you want something different then have a look through the ATX cases section. The guys in the customer services section will advise you of any potential build problems anyway should you choose a case that won't fit :D

You should have a nice chunk left out of your £2000 budget.

Back
Top Bottom