• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 5600X to i7-12700K

Soldato
Here's another 10 for you, then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXnXNvJto8&ab_channel=DeviceLab

Then, compare that to the difference between the 5800x and the 5800x3d below. Anyone suggesting a 5800x over a 5800x3d for gaming is just plain wrong.

3bDj7NV.jpg
Don't forget these results are not using a 3070ti which OP has and is around 40% slower than a 3090 so would experience much lesser gains.

IMO if OP wants better gaming performance at 1440p then he should be looking to the GPU and not the CPU.

Soldato
Don't forget these results are not using a 3070ti which OP has and is around 40% slower than a 3090 so would experience much lesser gains.

IMO if OP wants better gaming performance at 1440p then he should be looking to the GPU and not the CPU.
The gains will be very similar to the chart above, though maybe not quite to the same extreme. It won't be far off.

OP has not stated which types of games he plays. All the information we have is that he wants to change his CPU to improve 1440p performance. Upgrading to a 5800X3D will do that. I did, however, state in a previous post that depending on what types of games he plays there may not be any real benefit in him changing his PC at all. It's a perfectly competent 1440p machine. It entirely depends on what he plays and what he is expecting.

Plus, upgrading a CPU is going to be much cheaper than upgrading a 3070Ti.

EDIT: Typo

Soldato
Google is your friend.

I don't sit there doing benchmarks and looking at them.
And ignorance seems to be your friend! ;)

If you are going make bold claims at least have some empirical data to back it up.

Incidentally, there well might be some games out there that show a marked benefit going from 6 cores to 8 cores but as already shown the vast majority of recent AAA or popular games do not show any.

Permabanned
5800X showed a 40 FPS increase in Crysis 3 vs the 5600X, I would suspect the 3D version if Crysis 3 uses the cache would show astronomical gains, if not then less due to lower clock speed.

Soldato
5800X showed a 40 FPS increase in Crysis 3 vs the 5600X, I would suspect the 3D version if Crysis 3 uses the cache would show astronomical gains, if not then less due to lower clock speed.
Do you have the benchmark to show this as I can only see a ~13% improvement for the 5800X over the 5600X in Crysis 3 Remastered (or ~4% with RT on)?

Also quoting '40 fps' is not really useful because it doesn't tell you what the percentage increase is. If it's a 40fps improvement over a baseline of 100fps then that is substantial but if it's 40fps when the baseline is 400fps then that's not so impressive.

Permabanned
Do you have the benchmark to show this as I can only see a ~13% improvement for the 5800X over the 5600X in Crysis 3 Remastered (or ~4% with RT on)?

Also quoting '40 fps' is not really useful because it doesn't tell you what the percentage increase is. If it's a 40fps improvement over a baseline of 100fps then that is substantial but if it's 40fps when the baseline is 400fps then that's not so impressive.
Grassy area, original Crysis 3, not remaster.

Soldato
Hardware Unboxed did a video on scaling with Zen 3 more than a year ago now see here for gaming specifically and only gaming, there isn't a lot of difference between having 6 cores or 16 really, my own experiences running 2 systems one with a 5900X and the other 5800X for most of the time Zen 3 has been out are that I can't tell the difference between them for gaming or indeed most of what I use a computer for. I can benchmark the difference in synthetics sure, but running game benchmarks, not really, sometimes the 5900X shows a 'very' slight improvement I suspect mostly because it has twice the L3 cache of the single CCD 5800X.

The 12700K is interesting because it's not so much about the number of cores it brings to the table in relation to a 5600X or any other Zen 3 chip but the raw power of those P cores, i.e. those cores are stronger for gaming most of the time, but I don't think you can really leverage that as a benefit with your GPU.

I guess my point is, no I don't think there is much point in moving from a 5600X to a 12700K right now at least not enough to justify the cost to change in my opinion, I do think there could be value in hanging on a bit and considering a platform update to a Ryzen 7600X or 7700X though or Intel 13th gen Raptorlake perhaps but also DDR5 at a decent speed. I would say either do this 'properly' and a total platform update to the next generation or save your money. This is also me thinking about this kind of upgrade to lay down the platform to upgrade to a next gen GPU aswell, something that should be fast enough to actually be able to benefit from having a faster CPU and memory, a 3070Ti isn't really, even though it's a very fast GPU but your CPU is also very fast all things considered. So, while a 12700K is generally faster for gaming the question is, is it faster in a way that matters to you and that you will feel a difference in? ...I would suggest with a 3070Ti probably not because you will be GPU bound more often than not.

Soldato
Only other comment I think it's worth making here is that going from 6 to 8 cores on Ryzen (specifically zen 2&3) makes no sense. However, with Intel it can be a different story, due to the cache differences between the chips.

I personally don't think there is anything you need to bother upgrading on your PC right now. Stick with what you've got for another generation or two and save some cash.

G J

G J

Associate
I would wait for Zen 4 / Raptorlake but also consider what type of cooling you have also as you may have to factor upgrading it if you want go to the upper end of Intel's K cpu range.

Caporegime
Google is your friend.

I don't sit there doing benchmarks and looking at them.

Maybe you should before making statements you can't back up.

I haven't seen much to suggest >6 cores has substantial benefits in gaming.

There's a recent article on this very topic:

As for the OP you'd be better spending your cash on a GPU upgrade. A CPU change won't rock your world.

Soldato
Soldato
true if the only game you play is cinebench.
well the reviews i read said with the increased clock speed it negates it on 1440p upwards. I still think the 5900x is better value.

Summary :In the end, if you’re looking to upgrade from the older Ryzen 9 5900X to Ryzen 7 5800X3D, then simply don’t because for gaming, there’s minimal improvement in performance, and for productivity, the Ryzen 9 5900X is much better.

it says minimal improvement, of course there are going to be some games but to put a blanket statement another op wrote as 'wipes the floor'. no.

Back
Top Bottom