• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade from 5600X to i7-12700K

Caporegime
well the reviews i read said with the increased clock speed it negates it on 1440p upwards. I still think the 5900x is better value.

Summary :In the end, if you’re looking to upgrade from the older Ryzen 9 5900X to Ryzen 7 5800X3D, then simply don’t because for gaming, there’s minimal improvement in performance, and for productivity, the Ryzen 9 5900X is much better.

it says minimal improvement.

Don't think that holds true, the 5800X3D is still the better gaming CPU at 1440P. Your original statement on the 5900X being the overall better gaming CPU is wrong.

At 1440p and more so at 4k the benefit of the 5800X3D over alternatives is limited as GPU is the main bottleneck.

I'd agree changing from a 5900X to a 5800X3D isn't worthwhile but no one is actually suggesting that.

Soldato
Don't think that holds true, the 5800X3D is still the better gaming CPU at 1440P. Your original statement on the 5900X being the overall better gaming CPU is wrong.

At 1440p and more so at 4k the benefit of the 5800X3D over alternatives is limited as GPU is the main bottleneck.

I'd agree changing from a 5900X to a 5800X3D isn't worthwhile but no one is actually suggesting that.
ok i'll expound. with the exception of some games(from the reviews I'VE seen:)) which obviously if you play them then yeah..but the reviews I've seen with the overall minimum frame advantage PLUS the cooler running and cheaper price plus the extra cores then i still think the 5900x is a better buy. If you have a game which is only minimum faster then the gpu factors in whichever you are going to buy and then it's cooler and cheaper..and extra cores if you DO want to do video encoding down the line etc. So when I say better I mean with the other factor which is obviously relative re:which game you love.

That's my opinion and all kudos to anyone that thinks the 5800x3d is better, which i can understand their view of course and if....i had a game i specifically want to play with a lot of extra frames then I'd consider it of course once again and call it 'better'.:)

Associate
5800x3d probably got a long future ahead of it for gaming.
Yup and I can't wait for them to become cheap when the next gen of CPUs are launched.

I honestly don't care about being on the newest gen. My last PC was an Intel 3770 non K with an ASrock Z77 ITX rig and small form factor at an affordable price is more important to me than having the latest tech.

Associate
Unfortunately it doesn't normally happen - they will most likely will remain at current price or higher as they're the only upgrade path for AM4 rigs where owners don't want to change the motherboard.
That's true but the best bit is that second hand prices take serious nose dive. I saw a 5800X for a huge discount when compared to new pricing.

Even my 5700X was a bargain at £230 brand new.

Soldato
The gains will be very similar to the chart above, though maybe not quite to the same extreme. It won't be far off.

OP has not stated which types of games he plays. All the information we have is that he wants to change his CPU to improve 1440p performance. Upgrading to a 5800X3D will do that. I did, however, state in a previous post that depending on what types of games he plays there may not be any real benefit in him changing his PC at all. It's a perfectly competent 1440p machine. It entirely depends on what he plays and what he is expecting.

Plus, upgrading a CPU is going to be much cheaper than upgrading a 3070Ti.

EDIT: Typo

Depends on the game they play yeah. if you're going to get a cpu i think wait until new cpus come out and then get them cheaper second hand.ie 5800x3d.

G J

G J

Associate
Be mindfull though if its anything like end of life Intel CPU's the mid to higher end Zen 3 may hold its pricing.

For example I got my 12600K cheeper then what people wanted for a 9900K which in the end cost me about £70 total to move to z690 after selling my 8700K setup.

Simillar thing happened with 6700K and 7700K held their prices for years that years ago I was able to move to a 8600K cheeper than a 7700K.

Soldato
Its also bearing in mind that prices on the 5800x3d have risen quite a lot recently, so may not be too much of a drop in real terms when the new chips arrive.
yes, i don't think you'll see any drops in real terms until the new 7000s with the 3d cache on them but a fair amount people will still be on am4 so it'll still be popular..so I don't think it'll drop much even then unfortunately.

Associate
Yeah, there must be a ton of AM4 users out there so with the X3D being the fastest possible on the platform I too doubt that 2nd hand prices will drop to bargain levels for quite some time.

I hope I'm wrong, my 5900X is great but should I upgrade my gfx card the gain in minimum FPS the X3D can offer would be hard to ignore.

Back
Top Bottom