Upgrade recommendations

I haven’t actually tried it for pc. I was a long fan of the older generations of it. Tried it on Xbox but I can imagine it’s superb on pc

Good to know performance will be sound with the 5700x3d
yes it's a solid choice.
the x3d chips are literally the best case scenarios for MMOGs and MSFS

UghzYco.png

another review: https://www.techspot.com/review/2801-amd-ryzen-5700x3d/
(techspot = hardwareunboxed in written form)

Last edited:
Going to have to bite the bullet. I’ve gone to switch my old one on and it’s goosed. That’s what you get leaving it in the garage for too long

Going to have to bite the bullet. I’ve gone to switch my old one on and it’s goosed. That’s what you get leaving it in the garage for too long
are you sure? the ryzen 1700 does NOT have integrated graphics, so you may just need to chuck in a cheap gpu to check in the first instance

Yeah I tried I have a cheap gpu and no joy. I’ve removed my nzxt cooler out so potentially I’ll re use that. Shame really but nvm. I’ll still re use the monitor and potentially the 550w psu. Frustrating

Last edited:
In my frustration I’ve managed to snap a bit of the plastic from the cpu socket too when fiddling about. It’s been kept in conditions that are at best, pants with a capital “P”.
Can you spec an alternative build for me utilising a different MB on the AM5 platform?

Sorry to mess you around. I should have really tested this before messaging in the forum.

@arjgrundy actually change the ssd from the nv3 to the sn580: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...cie-gen4-solid-state-drive-sto-wdc-00540.html
just realised that the nv3 is QLC nand-based (the sn580 has TLC nand)
the nv3 is a faster drive on paper but the sn580 has vastly better endurance
(the sn580 probably has better sustained performance compared to the nv3 as QLC slows down to a crawl once the cache is depleted)
Ok. I’m going to have a look at the various cases too. I quite like the look of this Case

yeah i used to spec that case before the antec came out
the antec is the same price and has front usbc
the aerocool comes with 6! fans and they're all ARGB, whereas the antec's 3 fans are fixed RGB so a bit meh
the only thing i don't know is the build quality of the antec, but i know that the steel of the aerocool is a bit thin (you definitely know that the aerocool has been built to a budget)

yeah i used to spec that case before the antec came out
the antec is the same price and has front usbc
the aerocool comes with 6! fans and they're all ARGB, whereas the antec's 3 fans are fixed RGB so a bit meh
the only thing i don't know is the build quality of the antec, but i know that the steel of the aerocool is a bit thin (you definitely know that the aerocool has been built to a budget)
Got ya. Well you’ve certainly done your homework with regards to the difference in specs. Helped me lots!
I’ll have to get some pictures once I go for it and report back with the new desk etc.

I'd personally spend a bit more on one of the following B650 motherboards over that A620:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £303.98 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Montech make some nice fish tank style cases too, although they'll run you a bit more money.
Will take a look at those. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom