• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading 4090 to 5090 - minimising upgrade cost.

Soldato
i spend a lot of my time at my pc and i dont drink/smoke so i have some disposable income which gets invested in the one thing i actually do which is gaming :)
I love a good drink but i could still build a decent PC every month if i wanted. My current PC does what i need so i see no need to spend money. My monitor is 240hz at 1440p and in almost all my games i get enough fps at the fidelity i need to be happy. Single player games on PC are either to late to party or not up my street so i game online a lot where fps take president over visuals. A 4090 is most likely not making my experience any better. I would still take one though hahaha as who wouldn't want the pinacle of gaming cards. It would still be a waste for my needs.

Associate
If you can afford a 4090 then you're not be concerned for buying a 5090. Only those with deep pockets and don't care about money, have a 4090 and therefore will just get a 5090 anyway as they can afford it.
I can afford 5090 even if it cost more than 4090. I won't buy it though, as there's not even one thing wrong or too slow with my 4090 currently - I need to upgrade CPU if anything as my poor zen 4 is not fast enough to cross 120fps in quite a few games already. :p so, my next purchase will be Zen 5 based CPU and not new GPU.

Associate
I could afford a 4090 (or a 5090 when they come out, assuming they're under £5k :p ), but I still cba to spend that much on a GPU - £700 was pushing it.
My 7900XT does everything I need it to (apart from 1 game - Ark:SA). I'll ride it out for 1-2 more generations or maybe pick somehing up used if the price is right.

That said, if you want to stay cutting edge and minimise upgrade cost, have you considered theft? :D

Associate
10th post in the nvidia 4000 series thread predicted 2k for the top tier card.

Same every release

Last edited:
Soldato
£2k+ is believable but it's just a guess because of the upward trend of prices over the generations as of late. I will guess at £1999.99 as it keeps a 1 at the start but raises the price some more.

The bottom line is only Nvidia know what they are aiming for price wise and if you have been around long enough you have learned not to trust rumours from clickbait sites.

Associate
its looking like the 5090 will be £2k+ on release. So expect even after selling that 4090 you will be looking at a £500-£750 cost to you.

CEX are buying 4090's for £990, so by the time 5090 is released the 4090 second hand value will be down to probably £700, so to upgrade to a 5090 maybe around £1300 difference ?

Soldato
CEX are buying 4090's for £990, so by the time 5090 is released the 4090 second hand value will be down to probably £700, so to upgrade to a 5090 maybe around £1300 difference ?
As low as £845 for cash at CEX

Zotac GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB GDDR6X​

£975.00Trade-in for Voucher
£845.00Trade-in for Cash

Soldato
I could have purchased my 4090 2 years ago instead of 2 weeks ago and CEX would still offer me £958 cash. I'd rather set it on fire than ever shop in there. Not that I would ever buy from them.

A hammer is safer ask one of our members and his 3090.

Agree CEX sometimes takes the micky on items and pricing for some of the things, where it is cheaper to buy new than buy from them or when the scalping happened they were happy to pay more than what items cost as they could sell them for double or more. Also only use them to get rid of items not worth keeping and only ever buy games or 4k bluerays from them with the voucher as I don't trust their electrical stuff and the fake memory storage they sold me once a very expensive microsd at the time that turned out to be a fake and they said they didn't sell it ... so never again.

Soldato
£2k+ is believable but it's just a guess because of the upward trend of prices over the generations as of late. I will guess at £1999.99 as it keeps a 1 at the start but raises the price some more.

The bottom line is only Nvidia know what they are aiming for price wise and if you have been around long enough you have learned not to trust rumours from clickbait sites.

I'm basing this on nothing else but my thoughts, I think the 5090 FE will be the same price as the 4090 FE was at launch, at the £1,600 mark.

Why? Because if the 5090 FE is £2,000+ then the AIB partners will need to aim for £2,500 or even £3,000 which is completely bonkers amount - to play video games. Those that bought a 4090 will think it's not worth it to upgrade and those that didn't most likely didn't because they couldn't afford it. Nvidia know how many Titan V's it sold at a similar price and I bet it wasn't many.

It's far better to devalue the 4090 by pricing the 5090 within reach, plus it takes even more of AMD's market share by making second hand 4090's available, that's what AMD's next offering will have to compete with.

Associate
I'm basing this on nothing else but my thoughts, I think the 5090 FE will be the same price as the 4090 FE was at launch, at the £1,600 mark.

Why? Because if the 5090 FE is £2,000+ then the AIB partners will need to aim for £2,500 or even £3,000 which is completely bonkers amount - to play video games. Those that bought a 4090 will think it's not worth it to upgrade and those that didn't most likely didn't because they couldn't afford it. Nvidia know how many Titan V's it sold at a similar price and I bet it wasn't many.

It's far better to devalue the 4090 by pricing the 5090 within reach, plus it takes even more of AMD's market share by making second hand 4090's available, that's what AMD's next offering will have to compete with.
If it comes in with the same pricing as the 4090 crazy to think l'll actually be happy with the pricing :cry: such is the way the rumours have been swirling I'm expecting £2K-2.5K

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm loving all the 'I could buy a new 4090 every month, but I won't' posts. If I had that sort of spare cash I definitely would, and be playing CP2077 non-stop, not posting on the forums like this. Still I can't wait to pick up a 2nd hand 4090 for £700. A founders would be nice, any of you money bags decide to sell - hit me up

Back
Top Bottom