• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading GPU - It's time!

Associate
Probably get ripped for this, but why not wait for the new generations of consoles which are due for release anytime soon, and save a shed load of money! Games are mostly optimised for consoles anyway and only ported to PC and VR is a real option too.

As many have said previously, the price Nvidia are asking for their new cards is ludicrous and killing PC gaming forcing many into consoles anyway.

Associate
OP
The £645 was more of a safe threshold. Of course I don't want to throw money away. I just knew that if I said £500 nobody would recommend cards for £569 for example :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Me personally I love the FE model and I believe they come with 2 years warranty now at £485 is it? for 1080p I'd pick that up and pair it up with a nice 144hz 1440p Gysnc monitor which a 2070S will drive quite nicely over a few years by which time you can sell the 2070S for £200 ish depending on the market in a few years, spend another few hundreds and get a new card. I couldn't justify £600+ on an architecture over a year old that will most definitely be replaced next year
Our Tommy here is very sensible, I would take his advice :D

Soldato
No need to spend £650. Both of these Gigabyte would be a good buy if going with a 2070S.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £509.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Or a 4 year warranty with the Gaming OC when registered for an extra £10.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £519.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Associate
Our Tommy here is very sensible, I would take his advice :D
haha how we doing mate?! you'll laugh at this but at the minute I'm stuck with a 660 Ti -_- I've had a mad few months. Buy my own house downgrade my rig and then split from my girlfriend now I need to sell the house and I' getting back into pc :D so I treated myself to an LG ips 27inch HDR 4k monitor and my twin is selling me his 980 Ti FE SC with a backplate for £100 I've had it before and does 1515mhz on the core so will do me well in till next year!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
haha how we doing mate?! you'll laugh at this but at the minute I'm stuck with a 660 Ti -_- I've had a mad few months. Buy my own house downgrade my rig and then split from my girlfriend now I need to sell the house and I' getting back into pc :D so I treated myself to an LG ips 27inch HDR 4k monitor and my twin is selling me his 980 Ti FE SC with a backplate for £100 I've had it before and does 1515mhz on the core so will do me well in till next year!
Bloody hell mate. Mad indeed. Yeah all good here man. Just waiting on Nvidia to release the 3000 series, until then I am visiting from shop to shop buying up all lube I can find, you know what Jensen is like!

Nice of your twin, that a good price indeed. I am stuck with a 970 here. Never thought I would end up with one of these, hated what nvidia did with the 3.5gb ram fiasco.

Permabanned
Bloody hell mate. Mad indeed. Yeah all good here man. Just waiting on Nvidia to release the 3000 series, until then I am visiting from shop to shop buying up all lube I can find, you know what Jensen is like!

Nice of your twin, that a good price indeed. I am stuck with a 970 here. Never thought I would end up with one of these, hated what nvidia did with the 3.5gb ram fiasco.

I think neither nvidia's 3000 series, nor AMD's RDNA2 are coming soon, though. It's even possible that RDNA2 is 2021 thing as it is still in design development.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think neither nvidia's 3000 series, nor AMD's RDNA2 are coming soon, though. It's even possible that RDNA2 is 2021 thing as it is still in design development.
I hope you are wrong man. I want it before April for Cyberpunk 2077.

Isn’t AMD brining out a 5800 or 5900 Navi using a bigger die this year?

Associate
It's finally time for an upgrade. My trusted 970 is now struggling to supply me with smooth gameplay. All my settings are having to be set to low.

My budget is around £800 but I've been thinking that with my requirements, I might not need to spend that much. I don't play on 4k (still rocking a 1920x1080 monitor) but I do play racing car simulation games on my Oculus Rift. One of the games in rFactor2. I'd also like to start playing more games in the future.

I have always had nVidia cards and I would prefer to stick to that. The wife wants me to get the BEST I can for the budget and I've always got this thing of thinking 'oh just another £50 would get me a ...' but I need to erase this mindset.

I know that the 2080ti is out of range, and to be honest, £1100 for a card is never going to happen. I then thought that perhaps I could get a 2080 Super but I need you lovely lot to tell me that I don't need that.

I've been looking at this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-43j-as.html

And with the Asus trade in, it seems I can get £105 cashback! The only thing holding me back is that I won't be able to upgrade again for at least another 5 years! This has to last me. Any advise will be appreciated. But again, I'd prefer to stick to nVidia.

This is a bad tactic, spend £250-£350 now and £250-£350 in 2 1/2-3 years and you'll have a better card than what the 2080 is now

It's not like you'll notice any difference at 1080p anyway, 2060 Super, Vega 56, 5700 will be a huge upgrade for 1080p gaming

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
This is a bad tactic, spend £250-£350 now and £250-£350 in 2 1/2-3 years and you'll have a better card than what the 2080 is now

It's not like you'll notice any difference at 1080p anyway, 2060 Super, Vega 56, 5700 will be a huge upgrade for 1080p gaming
Dude, he already picked up a 2070$ :)

Back
Top Bottom