Urgent help with new build pc no video output and possible not booting!!

Caporegime
Just to clarify my ignorance I can use just one cable as the one shown from the PSU to the GPU use the 6+2 for the 8pin connection and use the 6pin from the other 6+2 end for the 6pin connection :confused:
2019-01-09-13-16-05.jpg

The plug you call PCIE should go into the PSU.

Associate
Try 1 stick of ram in every different slot and see if that helps. At this point a few different things could be the potential culprit.

Associate
OP
Can I just make sure that you are using a dedicated 8 pin to the motherboard? You can't use the 8 pin from the pci-e one.
Yes the 8 pin to the top of the motherboard is a dedicated, stand alone cable marked PCI-e at the PSU end and ATX at the other end. The cable is connected to the CPU connector on the PSU.
This picture shows my PSU connections. PSU is with the fan up as the gap between the carpet and the case is only 25mm.
2019-01-09-15-18-25.jpg

Soldato
have you got a stock cooler to try just in case the corsair cooler isn't working properly?

other than that im not sure what else to suggest that hasn't already, except maybe take the battery out to clear the CMOS for a bit.

If it had been a B350 or X370 board id have suggested the BIOS needs updating but you should be ok with your board

Associate
OP
Try 1 stick of ram in every different slot and see if that helps. At this point a few different things could be the potential culprit.
I have tried the following memory in different slots with the same result no picture and no BOOT.
One stick 8GB RAM;
DIMM B1, DIMM B2, DIMM A1, DIMM A2 twice once with each stick = same result no picture and no BOOT
Two sticks 8GB each;
DIMMs B1 + B2 = same result no picture and no BOOT
DIMMs A1 + A2 = same result no picture and no BOOT
Two sticks 8GB each;
DIMM B2 + A2 which is what the manual recommends = same result no picture and no BOOT

Associate
OP
have you got a stock cooler to try just in case the corsair cooler isn't working properly?

other than that im not sure what else to suggest that hasn't already, except maybe take the battery out to clear the CMOS for a bit.

If it had been a B350 or X370 board id have suggested the BIOS needs updating but you should be ok with your board
I wished I had a spare of all the components but I don't other than the usual keyboard, mouse and monitor.
I'll try and see if by taking the battery out for 10 minutes it clears the CMOS.

Associate
OP
Just to update all of you who have contributed to this post and I really appreciate your advice and suggestions, I have decided to RMA the motherboard and the CPU to the suppliers for testing as not matter what I tried the motherboard would not boot. I will update my post when I know the results of the test.

Associate
Just to update all of you who have contributed to this post and I really appreciate your advice and suggestions, I have decided to RMA the motherboard and the CPU to the suppliers for testing as not matter what I tried the motherboard would not boot. I will update my post when I know the results of the test.

Thanks for updating us, it's always good to know what the end result was. I hope the RMA fixes any problems!

Soldato
There is nothing wrong with it to be honest and dont be surprised if they just send you all the parts back as working fine, if you are stuck on a Boot LED, that just means that the system hasnt been able to find a boot device and will usually resort to booting to the bios, this could be because your old version of Windows is failing to boot or that the drive is new and doesnt even have Windows installed on it yet.

The fact that you are passing the other 3 LED's means the main system components are fine, the issues is between the GPU and Monitor / TV.

As you have over come all the other problems which was just power cables, the system is booting fine, I have to ask, are you using a monitor or a TV ? if its a TV thats your problem right there, I see it all the time, get a proper monitor, otherwise try a different cable from your graphics card to your monitor and different ports on the graphics card.

ps: the monitor output on the back of the motherboard are there incase you decide to put in an APU instead like a 2200G or 2400G (currently the only AM4 APU's available)

EDIT: just seen your specs, I had one of those monitors myself, personally I didnt like it, but thats another story, one thing however I didnt like about it, unlike other monitors that light up and switch on as the PC posts, that one doesnt, it has a power button on the back or bottom that you have to press to get it to come on, it maybe the joystick thing on the back that you have to press to get it to switch on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
All components are brand new. The thing is that the System is not booting to the BIOS even with an M.2 SSD connected. Of course the M.2 SSD does not have Windows installed as the system does not boot so I cannot install Windows!
As for the monitor I have tried three different monitors with HDMI to HDMI, DVI-D to DVI-D, HDMI to DVI-D and nothing displays. Unfortunately the motherboard or the case does not have a speaker so cannot hear any beeps.

Soldato
All components are brand new. The thing is that the System is not booting to the BIOS even with an M.2 SSD connected. Of course the M.2 SSD does not have Windows installed as the system does not boot so I cannot install Windows!
As for the monitor I have tried three different monitors with HDMI to HDMI, DVI-D to DVI-D, HDMI to DVI-D and nothing displays. Unfortunately the motherboard or the case does not have a speaker so cannot hear any beeps.

Something else I spotted is its really not advised to use the same cable to power both sockets on the GPU, use separate cables, although this means more wiring, using one cable like that under stress can cause melt downs of the plugs, theres a few users on this forum that has experienced that.

my next step in your case would be to try the GPU in the 2nd PCI-e slot or try another GPU.

Associate
OP
Something else I spotted is its really not advised to use the same cable to power both sockets on the GPU, use separate cables, although this means more wiring, using one cable like that under stress can cause melt downs of the plugs, theres a few users on this forum that has experienced that.

my next step in your case would be to try the GPU in the 2nd PCI-e slot or try another GPU.
I connected the GPU with just one cable using both connectors as advised by two members on earlier posts, but I have no problem in using two separate cables as a precaution.

As I said above, I have RMA the motherboard for testing so I cannot do anything until I get the motherboard back. When it’s back I will build the system outside the case first as advised by Threepwood and if need be taking the GPU from my other desktop and try a different PCI-e slot.

I will post back with updates as to how I get on.

Soldato

Looking at the outputs on his PSU he only had a single 6+2 connector for the GFX card. Ive used a single cable before and it was perfectly fine

Associate
Looking at the outputs on his PSU he only had a single 6+2 connector for the GFX card. Ive used a single cable before and it was perfectly fine
I guess it's a YMMV kind of situation, I'm in the same boat where I'm currently only using a single connector for my GPU and it works absolutely fine, but my previous card needed two separate cables.

Associate
OP
Just an update with the motherboard not being able to BOOT.
I received the motherboard back from the suppliers after RMA where they tested the motherboard and the CPU which I also sent for testing in conjunction with the motherboard and they were both returned not finding any faults. Bur they must have done something as when I rebuilt the system same as before but this time breadboarding, I think is the term, everything went smoothly and I was able to BOOT the motherboard! I installed everything in the case and I am happy to inform you that all is working fine.:D
Don't know what must have been wrong the first time!!:rolleyes:
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, most appreciated.:)

Back
Top Bottom