US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Caporegime
Course you do, you made a claim that what I'd said was incorrect because they could have made a fighter look like a passenger yet. I'm saying back up your assertion. Come on. Do it.

No i don't, I made the claim that the Iranian military on the ground might not have the availability in such a situation to just think the West won't try asymmetric ideas to attack Iran. It is inherently not something I can prove or disprove. It's merely conjecture about what seems logical to me in that position.

Is there no value in seeing things from positions not our own?

Caporegime
No i don't, I made the claim that the Iranian military on the ground might not have the availability in such a situation to just think the West won't try asymmetric ideas to attack Iran. It is inherently not something I can prove or disprove. It's merely conjecture about what seems logical to me in that position.

Is there no value in seeing things from positions not our own?

Not when you're stating people are incorrect based on your own incorrect assumptions/making things up.

Caporegime
Not when you're stating people are incorrect based on your own incorrect assumptions/making things up.

I still think it's an invariably important piece of speculation on how the chain of targeting-decision-firing goes. Perhaps the example of a B2 wasn't the most useful, it was merely convenient.

It's rather too easy to just be flippant about this.

Caporegime
I still think it's an invariably important piece of speculation on how the chain of targeting-decision-firing goes. Perhaps the example of a B2 wasn't the most useful, it was merely convenient.

It's not important at all. It's completely useless. It's akin to contemplating whether that radar signature is Santa Claus.

Caporegime
It's not important at all. It's completely useless. It's akin to contemplating whether that radar signature is Santa Claus.

Perhaps overall, yes it is pointless, but this all comes down to a single moment in time where someone has to make a decision under stress and perhaps confusion. What if the decision was 'not to launch' and it turned out to be a valid military target that had successfully completed a mission? Obviously it'd would have been good for us, but we're talking about Iran's position as it's the only relevant one here.

Associate
When you are pressing the launch button for a missile that is designed to destroy planes and kill whoever is in them - i would be dam sure, stress or no stress, that i had the right bloody thing targeted.

Caporegime
When you are pressing the launch button for a missile that is designed to destroy planes and kill whoever is in them - i would be dam sure, stress or no stress, that i had the right bloody thing targeted.

Obviously, as I'd hope so. While i'd want to also hope Iranian personnel are equally desiring that, at the very least for their own planes, I can't help but question that they care somewhat less about the issue than we do, this is after all, a country that freely murders it's own people.

Soldato
Like Russia they will do everything they can to try and cover it up. They get found out anyway and it makes them look even worse.

Right now they are likely trying to get in to the black box and mess with it, which is why they won't hand it over. They won't be successful.

Caporegime
Like Russia they will do everything they can to try and cover it up. They get found out anyway and it makes them look even worse.

Right now they are likely trying to get in to the black box and mess with it, which is why they won't hand it over. They won't be successful.

Russia had a reason to cover it up, Iran does not, they can just blame it on a mistake and because the US has basically set that tone already, it's a done deal.

I'm wondering if there's a benefit to keeping this discussion going a few years for Iran, it's almost as if the missile attack on two bases has disappeared.

Soldato
If you're not going to ground commercial flights from that air space you at least ought to have spotters confirming targets with night vision that can confirm whether suspected target is actually firing / dropping anything and/or the sight of commercial livery all over the plane.

Soldato
Russia had a reason to cover it up, Iran does not, they can just blame it on a mistake and because the US has basically set that tone already, it's a done deal.

But they won't admit to making a mistake either. Russia don't. The whole mentality is to lie and blame someone else. Even when evidence is stacked against them and no one is buying it.

I guess it sets an example of why Iran should not have nuclear weapons, although the same could have been said for Russia and MH17

I wonder how many times they came close to accidentally blowing themselves up.

Actually they kinda DID. Chernobyl.

Caporegime
But they won't admit to making a mistake either. Russia don't. The whole mentality is to lie and blame someone else. Even when evidence is stacked against them and no one is buying it.

I wonder how many times they came close to accidently blowing themselves up.

Actually they DID. Chernobyl.

Three mile island? I know it's very easy to call the enemy an idiot, but c'mon. Nobody is innocent of mistakes. What about all the times they chose not to? 1983 in particular.

Soldato
Three mile island? I know it's very easy to call the enemy an idiot, but c'mon.

That was equipment failure rather than people cutting corners and doing something dumb. Plus it wasn't a full meltdown and they didn't try to cover it up, while knowingly sending workers to their deaths, like the USSR did with Chernobyl.

Associate
Thing is if the yanks blew a plane full of folk out of the sky over Washington you can be bloody well sure the press would be on it so hard the president would prob have to resign.
Iran will say nowt and its rabid followers will still blame the US and west.

Back
Top Bottom