US Open Tennis 2016 (Spoilers)

Associate
Murray painful and frustrating to watch as usual. It's amazing he's #2 in the world with his attitude and some of the god awful performances he puts in - this one included. Ugh.

Associate
Makes you wonder how on earth he's got 3 slams and 2 Olympic gold medals. If he had the mentality of Federer, Nadal or Djokovic he could've been the one challenging Federer's record.

He obviously has the raw talent and physicality, but his mentality is all over the place! Fed, even at his ripe old age, still has endless calm and confidence - and Djokovic has determination of pure steel (not to mention playing his own mind-games). Andy has a tendency to work himself into a strop and have a complete meltdown over nothing...as proven tonight. Nishikouri played well but nothing amazing IMO. Doesn't seem like a serious contender.

Still Scotland's greatest active sportsman but he sure makes it hard to support him...:mad:

Caporegime
OP
I'm backing Del Potro to win the tournament now and I would love to see him do it.

Edit: And there goes that plan, he lost 3-1 last night. Literally, **** this tournament! :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bit of a disappointing result to wake up to as I had hoped Murray could get to the finals this year but maybe a tough schedule has slightly caught up with him or maybe it's just one of those days where things don't quite come off. Either way well done to Kei Nishikori for taking the win. For most people winning Wimbledon and the Olympic title would constitute a very successful year so it's worth keeping it in perspective, I suppose the frustration is because Murray should quite possibly have won another slam or two as well.

Soldato
Agreed, it feels like he should have won a couple more by now, I never watched the match last night but it sounds like he did a good job of beating himself again. But you're right it's been a very successful year so far however there's always that element of being his own worst enemy. Personally, I think he has parent issues, problems with figures of authority, hard to say what the route cause is but when he has a meltdown it's excruciating to watch.

Soldato
I have a £30 free bet and I'm completely stumped where to put my money.

All £30 has to be put on a single bet and I'm not sure to go with Kai or Stan. I would have put it on Delpo but shocked at last nights result.

Pointless putting it on Novak as you don't get your stake back.

Associate
Results

Novak Djokovic
Stan Wawrinka
7(7) 4 5 3
6(1) 6 7 6

Karolina Pliskova
Angelique Kerber
3 6 4
6 4 6

Jamie Murray & Bruno Soares
Pablo Carreno & Guillermo Garcia
6 6
2 3

Caroline Garcia & Kristina Mladenovic
Bethanie Mattek-Sands & Lucie Safarova
6 6(5) 4
2 7(7) 6

Man of Honour
Well done to Wawrinka. Astonishing to think that he's now potentially only one Wimbledon final away from getting the career grand slam since his conversion rate is perfect so far. There are some great players who never managed the career grand slam and I wouldn't have quite put Stan up there yet as a great but again he's perhaps a little unlucky for so many years to not even have been the best player from his country. Happy to see him win it rather than Djokovic though as he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

Back
Top Bottom