USA wants your social media history.

Soldato
Nah it was all tongue in cheek, I use social media because it's a big part of my wife's life, both socially and for her business. I did drop off for about a year in my youth though and I know a couple of IT type friends who binned the concept after they found it to be very toxic. Sometimes I wonder if the benefits truly do outweigh the risks of using social media.

I’m glad it was. I went from a frowning and confused to chuckling at it, was genius ;) I’m definitely in the minority, it all just lost its appeal.

Social media is particularly important for some businesses (especially start ups and sole traders) to interact with potential customers, I get that, it’s just not for me.

Facebook especially I don’t think is good for younger minds, it’s full of people taking fake photos in great light, pretending they’re having incredible experiences every moment of every day, and a lot of it is tosh. It’s all people trying to convince everyone else they don’t have a normal life, and if you do you’re a failure. I don’t think it’s healthy.

Plenty of people not like this I know, so please don’t think I’m aiming this at you at all (or anyone else here) because I’m not. It just doesn’t appeal to my way of life, or personality. I definitely turned into an old man somewhere along the way :p

Thankfully the mrs has never even bothered with any of it :D

Soldato
that’s a good question.... I’m really not sure where the line actually stops. All of them you mentioned is already out there and gathered anyway.

And in the right circumstances I’d probably argue that these are justified.

The problem I have is automomy and freedom to spy without consent. I don’t necessarily mean of the individual, but of a body that ensures this is done legally and cautiously, only when evidence exists that makes it necessary to assess a danger or bring charges.

I’ve watched over time as more and more rights are afforded to the government to encroach on our right to freedom and privacy, and this is what I mean by the thin end of the wedge, my fear is that it’s only the beginning.

I’m not a criminal, and I have nothing to hide, but I don’t like the way the world is going.

Perhaps I should join a tin foil hat society.

Associate
OP
I’m glad it was. I went from a frowning and confused to chuckling at it, was genius ;) I’m definitely in the minority, it all just lost its appeal.

Social media is particularly important for some businesses (especially start ups and sole traders) to interact with potential customers, I get that, it’s just not for me.

Facebook especially I don’t think is good for younger minds, it’s full of people taking fake photos in great light, pretending they’re having incredible experiences every moment of every day, and a lot of it is tosh. It’s all people trying to convince everyone else they don’t have a normal life, and if you do you’re a failure. I don’t think it’s healthy.

Plenty of people not like this I know, so please don’t think I’m aiming this at you at all (or anyone else here) because I’m not. It just doesn’t appeal to my way of life, or personality. I definitely turned into an old man somewhere along the way :p

Thankfully the mrs has never even bothered with any of it :D
Naa you never turned into an old man, you saw the Emperor's Clothes for what they really were. That's not being a spoilsport or a dullard, it's being realistic. Let these "children" play along in their fantasy world in Facebook sending photos of their dinner and whatever trout pout they can muster

Permabanned
And in the right circumstances I’d probably argue that these are justified.

The problem I have is automomy and freedom to spy without consent. I don’t necessarily mean of the individual, but of a body that ensures this is done legally and cautiously, only when evidence exists that makes it necessary to assess a danger or bring charges.

I’ve watched over time as more and more rights are afforded to the government to encroach on our right to freedom and privacy, and this is what I mean by the thin end of the wedge, my fear is that it’s only the beginning.

I’m not a criminal, and I have nothing to hide, but I don’t like the way the world is going.

Perhaps I should join a tin foil hat society.

I’m only bothered about companies selling data I don’t like it! That’s how they put code in behind the scenes to gather all of this info in the first place.

Soldato
That was a rhetorical question you just attempted to answer.

If someone posts a statement in the form of rhetoric, it can still be disputed, you know :D. The literary mechanism of statement is irrelevant.

Or are you really saying that if someone makes a statement in the form of a rhetorical question; that it is simply closed to any and all further discussion/expansion/criticism/question/dispute? Really?

Guestbooks and discussion forums were the origin of social media.

No one was even talking about the origin of social media. I was replying to the other poster about distinguishing between a classical forum and something like facebook, no one was talking about the "origin" of either.

So yeah no idea what you're on about really. If you wanted to simply state your opinion that social media originated from guestbooks and forums then you should simply state it without quoting me and whining about low level stuff like rhetorical questions. :)

Soldato
No one was even talking about the origin of social media.
The person you were replying to was pointing out that forums are a form of social media (one of the original forms), they did this by asking an obviously rhetorical question which you then tried to answer.

So yeah no idea what you're on about really.
Read the above.

If you wanted to simply state your opinion that social media originated from guestbooks and forums then you should simply state it without quoting me and whining about low level stuff like rhetorical questions. :)
Again, firstly it's not an opinion it's a matter of fact, secondly it wasn't me who introduced the point it was the person you tried to argue with.

I was actually trying to help you by pointing out it was a rhetorical question on a matter of fact your were attempting (and failing) to argue with.

Soldato
The person you were replying to was pointing out that forums are a form of social media (one of the original forms), they did this by asking an obviously rhetorical question which you then tried to answer.

Read the above.

Again, firstly it's not an opinion it's a matter of fact, secondly it wasn't me who introduced the point it was the person you tried to argue with.

I was actually trying to help you by pointing out it was a rhetorical question on a matter of fact your were attempting (and failing) to argue with.

I "tried to answer"??? I'm sorry but I still have no idea what you're whining about. I simply said there's differentiation to be made between facebook and a classic forum.

Looks like you're very distressed that I've expanded on a rhetorical question.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone (you're the one doing that), I simply highlighted that there is distinction to be made between facebook and classic forums, you're the one whining about what people are supposedly allowed to, or not allowed to answer to lol. The other guy hasn't even replied back yet You're here arguing about rhetorical questions and what people are allowed to answer as if this place is your personal playground and then accusing others of arguing :D

Again, If you have something to say on the topic of facebook/classic forums then say it straight up and stop whining about rhetorical questions.

Conclusion:

Once again, all I wanted to do was point out that there is CLEAR difference between facebook and a classic forum and I provided some variables which highlight the difference. (another poster agreed with me too) That's all. If you want to start whining about who's allowed to reply to rhetorical questions and which literary devices are not allowed to be replied to, then start another thread, but please don't drag this thread down into an utterly stupid argument about semantics/literacy or whatever it is that you're whining about.

Soldato
They stated this last year :confused: so isn't this news old now?

Nothing changed when I went to Vegas last year.

The ESTA application form that I filled out last year did ask for social media information but it was optional. This is all about making it compulsory but only for visa applications so nothing is changing for us yet.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's made compulsory for ESTA applications too, however. Only social media I'm present on these days is LinkedIn and even then I haven't logged in for ages. I'm sure it'll make for some exciting reading for US Customs and Border Control :)

Back
Top Bottom