Used car. 30k-ish. Fun.

OcUK Staff
It's a very nice car. Rear visibility is shocking though!

Just been putting together an advert for mine. Don't know any good places to sell do you?

Its a Boxster, drive everywhere with the roof down! :p
Plus not much will keep up, so you don't need to be looking behind you. ;)

I always advertise on forums and PH to begin as those are free. If they fail I move to Ebay and Autotrader classifieds.

OcUK Staff
Forums ey? Hey guys, 6 series for sale!

Cutters is good, sold the 911 through there, think my Mustang went via various facebook social groups or it was autotrader.

Also make a youtube video of a walk around your 6 series, then have someone film you getting in, driving it down road and back to camera, helps buyers feel its more genuine.

Soldato
So...M2s are nice...
Did you drive one? I personally was a little underwhelmed by it after reading so much hype. I felt coming from my M135i it felt no quicker, and less comfortable. It certainly drove well, but the M135i did as well. Outside of a track I didn’t feel that the M2 really gave me anything over the M135i...basically the same engine, same interior. Of course it has the LSD, bigger brakes, wider track, and solid mounted rear subframe but I say outside of a race track you’d struggle to notice the difference.

Great looking car though, and definitely a sweet engine.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, drove one back to back with an M4 today. Preferred its drive and handling more than the M4, M4 engine was definitely sweeter though and the interior is nicer.

Soldato
I drove an M235i and M4 back to back on a "damp" day, and much preferred the M235i in all honesty. Just felt you could use the power more in them conditions, which, lets face it, is pretty common over here.

I'm sure the M2 would be just the same, but slightly better.

Soldato
I've heard this quite a few times, people often prefer the 235/240 to m2. I'd have m2 just for the looks tbf, performance wise a remapped 240i with an lsd would be a better car overall imo.

Caporegime
Who mentioned the e92?
The biggest complaint about the F8x cars is the massive low down grunt causing traction problems

The E92 has no such issues due to a completely different power delivery and a special engine. (Rather than a boost increased 3.0 twin)

We are still in the £30k budget for a car and looking at options right ? And I’m comparing two generations of the car being disscussed. It’s evident the f8x have issues as people prefer the lower powered models. The later F8x engine and completion pack have a much smoother delivery by bringing in boost slower.

As the E92 is the last of the NA m cats I think it’s a good reference point for the disadvantages of turbo engines.

Hence I mentioned it. We could use the E46 I guess.

Soldato
Dear denizens of motors, as much as I love the 640d I'm looking to trade it in for something more fun! It really is a great car in all aspects except for handling and parking. It is frankly a barge.

My short-list so far has a bit of variation and is a fairly eclectic mix so let me know your thoughts;

981 Boxster s. Quick enough. Handles brilliantly. Looks brilliant. Cheapest are around 35k which is more than I'd like to spend. Expensive to maintain.

981 Cayman s. See above. Looks better. More expensive again.

None s versions of the above. Cheaper to buy and run. Really felt the loss of power.

Z4 35is. Quick. Handling is ok, significantly better steering feel on post 2013 models which is a must. Like the interiors. Tech is a bit dated. Rare as rocking horse crap atm.

E9x m3. That engine! Old tech. Bland interior. Pricey to run and service.

F8x m3/4. Goes like stink. Looks great. More than I want to spend. Expensive to service. Interiors aren't as nice as what I'm used to.

m2. Same as porsche. Looks don't tickle me.

Mx40i. Cheaper than the m cars. Loads of choice on the market especially for sub 30k. Not as fun although still have great engines. Interiors are awful.

lotus exige or an Evora or a radical

Man of Honour
Sadly you would need to get closer to 35K for the 981 Boxster/Cayman S but I think that would be money well spent. However if you only have 30K then of the list provided I would probably go with an E90/E92 M3. Magnificent engine, solid build and great fun to blast around in and still a rapid motor that can be enjoyed on road and track. The issue will be interior if you're into such things as it's dated a bit, but I'd not give a stuff if you are buying the car to enjoy driving. The current M3/M4 is a good car but I have not jelled with any of those I have driven and though very rapid it's just a fast 3 series to me when the previous generations of M3 have always felt special because of their special engines.

Caporegime
OP
Sadly you would need to get closer to 35K for the 981 Boxster/Cayman S but I think that would be money well spent. However if you only have 30K then of the list provided I would probably go with an E90/E92 M3. Magnificent engine, solid build and great fun to blast around in and still a rapid motor that can be enjoyed on road and track. The issue will be interior if you're into such things as it's dated a bit, but I'd not give a stuff if you are buying the car to enjoy driving. The current M3/M4 is a good car but I have not jelled with any of those I have driven and though very rapid it's just a fast 3 series to me when the previous generations of M3 have always felt special because of their special engines.

Upped the budget - currently sitting at mid 30s although depending on what I get for mine may be up to 40 but if I'm honest I don't want to go above 35. I should really set a hard limit but I keep seeing that car that only costs 2k more and has x, y or z.

Conundrum I'm facing at the minute is whether to go for a porsche approved boxster/Cayman or a none approved s. Potentially I can go non approved, have a couple of k for fixes and still come out with change vs the approved non s.

Man of Honour
Upped the budget - currently sitting at mid 30s although depending on what I get for mine may be up to 40 but if I'm honest I don't want to go above 35. I should really set a hard limit but I keep seeing that car that only costs 2k more and has x, y or z.

Conundrum I'm facing at the minute is whether to go for a porsche approved boxster/Cayman or a none approved s. Potentially I can go non approved, have a couple of k for fixes and still come out with change vs the approved non s.
It doesn't really matter as you can get a Porsche Warranty added to either.

Back
Top Bottom