Using your mobile abroad

Soldato
seem to be some feedback on holifly of throttling if using more than 2GB in a day, or using tethering (if you were taking a tablet too)
so do wonder if you should just buy a sim card on the ground there, after reccying which supermarkets/stores would sell it.

Soldato
seem to be some feedback on holifly of throttling if using more than 2GB in a day, or using tethering (if you were taking a tablet too)
so do wonder if you should just buy a sim card on the ground there, after reccying which supermarkets/stores would sell it.

Can’t comment on either to be honest, I didn’t notice a speed drop and I was watching Netflix as well as updating my apps and pods. I have photo auto sync to iCloud too.

I didn’t use or try to use tether though.

Soldato
eSIM, easy peasy.

Holafly

22kXGJQ.png

Airalo

hLJZaHL.png
Can you use roaming on these SIMs and get one in the UK without going to the destination country? I was trying to sign up for something that needs an Indian number to receive an SMS verification but couldn't figure it out so if you could use this in the UK to receive SMS I'd sign up for a few days.

Caporegime
Can you use roaming on these SIMs and get one in the UK without going to the destination country? I was trying to sign up for something that needs an Indian number to receive an SMS verification but couldn't figure it out so if you could use this in the UK to receive SMS I'd sign up for a few days.

These are data only, you don’t get a number….at least Airalo.

With Holafly I just checked, there is a number but I’ve never dialed from it.

You can install these in the UK.

Soldato
These are data only, you don’t get a number….at least Airalo.

With Holafly I just checked, there is a number but I’ve never dialed from it.

You can install these in the UK.
Cool might see about Holafly as if you could receive SMS here that would be useful. Thanks

Caporegime
Update - Not sure why but i just got home from Morocco again. Using Holafly again, same plan again.

This time, I was getting only LTE, not 4G. It was connecting to a local network (Orange), same network as my gf who is a local. She gets 4G, I don't. I even went through all the settings with their Customer Support, which to be fair, was excellent. We went back and forth at midnight on WhatsApp trying to figure it out.

The ping was absolutely horrendous, I mean it still worked but I don't think I got through 100mb of data all week due to the absurdly slow Ping. It was so bad I almost bought Airalo half way through then I noticed on Airalo it also says LTE...

I guess the take away is that you don't know until you get there, even if you have prior experience from the same place, just 3 months earlier....things can change quickly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom