V5C - Former Keepers

Soldato
When I spoke to the dealer about the issue, I was told that it is completely normal and fair to state "two former keepers" on the advert because that is what is on the V5C.

That's ******** and it's misleading to a customer. If the person who owned the car last was to sell it privately instead of trading it in to a dealer then sure, he could state that it has had two former keepers before him, but the trader has temporary ownership of the car now and the previous owner does not, therefore it has had three former keepers and not two.

Soldato
If I sell my car I advertise as 2 previous owners as I am the current owner

If I trade it in and a trader sells it on they should advertise as 3 owners including me

Its common practice for a trader to advertise using what's mentioned on the V5 as it works in their favour and they aren't doing anything wrong, it can be misleading but at the same time when you're spending the amount that cars cost you should ideally know this already

Associate
OP
I'll phone for some legal advice tonight and see what they think.

To be honest, I wouldn't be as annoyed if I hadn't also experienced problems with the motor after a couple of days.

Coupled with the fact the dealer is purposefully dragging their heels at every opportunity, even though they are making the right noises in terms of repairs.

Man of Honour
You won't get anywhere really as it's probably not considered a material issue plus you have no written proof they said it was a 2 former keeper car.

Plus 3 keepers or 4 keepers, is there much difference? It's not like they said it was 1 owner from new.

Associate
When I look at cars I ask to so V5 and either wrote down details of previous keeper of took a pic of the v5.

In two cases where I wasn't entirely trusting of the seller I actually spoke to the previous owners, and it turned out both cars and the info given were spot on. Both happened to be in the phone book.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;25236195 said:
You won't get anywhere really as it's probably not considered a material issue plus you have no written proof they said it was a 2 former keeper car.

Plus 3 keepers or 4 keepers, is there much difference? It's not like they said it was 1 owner from new.

Agreed, unlikely it will get me far, but I do have proof, as I have copies of all three adverts posted by the dealer.

Man of Honour
You want a refund on the entire car because they said it was a 3 owner car and it's actually a 4 owner car?

You mean you've changed your mind for other reasons and have spotted what you think is a way out. You are obviouly not fussy about low owner cars or you'd have walked from a 3 owner car. The difference between 3 and 4 is far smaller and far less significant than the difference between 1 and 2.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;25238541 said:
You want a refund on the entire car because they said it was a 3 owner car and it's actually a 4 owner car?

You mean you've changed your mind for other reasons and have spotted what you think is a way out. You are obviouly not fussy about low owner cars or you'd have walked from a 3 owner car. The difference between 3 and 4 is far smaller and far less significant than the difference between 1 and 2.

This is about principal as opposed to anything else.

As I already said earlier in the thread, the car has developed problems after a couple of days and the dealer has since been dragging their heels.

The V5C and former keeper issue was the final straw in the saga.

It has soured my experience of purchase and of the vehicle.

If there was an option to refund and start again with a more genuine and trustworthy dealer then I would take it.

In this case, it's not worth the fight, but it doesn't change the fact the dealer shouldn't advertise the car has having two former keepers, it's misleading, and I doubt I am the first or the last person to fall foul of this with the dealer.

Soldato
Tbh I know how annoying it can be with a second hand car, my 528i threw up abs\tc lights the other day, they have since gone out so expect something is getting wet somewhere, also it was advertised with tax until end of April, its end of Jan tho, might just leave it to the missus to sort out tho, she's a right annoying cow if she gets a bee in her bonnet lol..

Soldato
If the car was pre-registered by the dealer it will show 3 former keepers even if there were only 2 as the initial pre-registration counts as a keeper even though it was sitting on the forecourt.

If you do an HPI check I believe it identifies this.

Secondly, if the dealer advertised it, it will almost certainly have E&OE (errors and omission excepted) on the advert which nullifies the validity of the 2 former keepers claim. They will just claim it was a typo.

This is about principal as opposed to anything else.

Principle FYI

If we were talking principles here, the dealer has treated you very fairly and you are trying to use a get out to stitch him up after treating you fairly at his expense. Not sure you can take the moral high ground here?

;)

Soldato
As I already said earlier in the thread, the car has developed problems after a couple of days and the dealer has since been dragging their heels.

Its a used car and the issue has been identified as an O2 sensor which can fail without warning i.e. you cant really check them for wear and tear like brake pads.

In what way is the dealer dragging their heels? You stated they are willing to fix the problem and supply a courtesy car while they do this.

I am going to be blunt - you won't get a refund based on the owner history and trying to get a refund for something like the fault above won't happen until the dealer is given a chance to fix an UNFORESEEABLE FAULT with a USED CAR.

Even brand new cars can have faults.

I advise taking a step back from the situation, take a deep breath and come at it with the blinkers off.

Soldato
Well turns out I'm probably taking the car I bought back.

528i, noticed a bit of an oil leak on the top of the engine, cam cover, not a big issue, however in traffic today I was getting huge amounts of oil fumes through the vents to the point you could clearly see it...
Advertised with tax till end of April, its end of Jan.
ABS/TC light came on on friday, then went off, then came back on again, the intermittent wiper only has one speed, both of the above apparently mean a dodgy ABS/TC ECU.
I'm not expecting anything awesome for a £1000 car but given the guy said he used to work at Sytner it suggests to me that things might have been botched to get the lights out and get it off the forecourt...

Man of Honour
The oil smell through vent thing is just a leaky gasket. Simple and inexpensive to fix. You cant really bodge the ASC lights either so I doubt he did that, could be as simple as a wheel speed sensor.

Associate
OP
Its a used car and the issue has been identified as an O2 sensor which can fail without warning i.e. you cant really check them for wear and tear like brake pads.

In what way is the dealer dragging their heels? You stated they are willing to fix the problem and supply a courtesy car while they do this.

I am going to be blunt - you won't get a refund based on the owner history and trying to get a refund for something like the fault above won't happen until the dealer is given a chance to fix an UNFORESEEABLE FAULT with a USED CAR.

Even brand new cars can have faults.

I advise taking a step back from the situation, take a deep breath and come at it with the blinkers off.

Under SOGA I could have rejected the car for a full refund due to the fault occurring so soon after purchase.

The dealer does not need to be given an opportunity to fix the car if the vehicle suffers a serious fault or issue within a 'reasonable' timescale.

I only know that it is an O2 sensor because a friend has an OBDII connector and checked the fault code for me. Coupled with the the Engine Management Light is the intermittent and difficulty starting the vehicle. This often means it takes me around five to ten minutes to start the car, this to me, is not a minor fault.

Anyway, I chose not to reject the car under SOGA and allow the dealer the opportunity to fix the car as they made all the right noises.

Fast forward three weeks and my car still hasn't been looked at by the dealer. So that is what I mean by dragging their heels..... I think they are hoping I just go away.

The V5C was the final straw and again under the Misrepresentation Act 1967 I probably could pursue for a refund, but it would likely go to Court and who knows what the outcome would be, though my legal advice seem to suggest I have a good chance.

However, I am not prepared to go down that route because of the hassle involved. I don't need to take a step back, I'm not angry, merely frustrated and aware of my consumer rights.

Totally appreciate cars develop faults, not a fool, but three weeks later, no fix, no repair, I think I am pretty well within my rights to be frustrated and looking at options.

Man of Honour
Under SOGA I could have rejected the car for a full refund due to the fault occurring so soon after purchase.

No you couldn't - at least not without a lengthy court battle.

The dealer does not need to be given an opportunity to fix the car if the vehicle suffers a serious fault or issue within a 'reasonable' timescale.

A failed sensor is not a serious fault.

I only know that it is an O2 sensor because a friend has an OBDII connector and checked the fault code for me. Coupled with the the Engine Management Light is the intermittent and difficulty starting the vehicle. This often means it takes me around five to ten minutes to start the car, this to me, is not a minor fault.

10 minutes to start the car? This seems like it might be an exageration. Are you really sitting there constantly cranking it for 10 minutes at a time?

Back
Top Bottom