Valheim

Soldato
Yeah, three games that renewed my faith in early access are Subnautica, Satisfactory and this one.
Bloody hell I couldn’t agree more with this. I got a refund on No Mans Land during it’s release and bought Subnautica. In my mind it always has been the best example of EA done right. Absolutely fantastic game in every department.

Soldato
I think this might be the first early access game I've bought actually. I usually wait until release, but the buzz around this was too strong. Glad I went for it.

Though at the moment, I am really feeling the drag of the hunt for enough iron to kit two of us at least out in iron armour and decently upgraded weapons...

Soldato
For all you peeps playing Valheim with your children, what sort of ages are they? I have an eight year old son who’s looking to expand from Minecraft and will no doubt be followed by his intrepid six year old sister. Is the game too mature for them?

Caporegime
For all you peeps playing Valheim with your children, what sort of ages are they? I have an eight year old son who’s looking to expand from Minecraft and will no doubt be followed by his intrepid six year old sister. Is the game too mature for them?

Well you need to look for and kill deer and boar, watch them blow up in a cloud of blood to reveal their head trophies and pelts.

Sort of.

Watch some YouTube videos

Soldato
Really enjoying the build aspect of this game, have beaten 3 of the gods so far but getting way more pleasure out of base building.
Started decorating my quarters last night...

Soldato
So I’m comfortable in the Swamp biome as well as the Mountain biome and haven’t died in either of them ages, or in the case of the Mountain, never. I’ve only found a very small Plains biome, about the size of a couple of football pitches on a shore surrounded by Black Forest, and have been using it to farm items from the few Deathsquitos, not Goblins and Lox that spawn in there. Today I got overly cocky whilst clearing this small space and ended up with 2 Deathsquitos, 1 normal not Goblin and 1 1 star not Goblin on me at once. Suffice to say I had my backside handed to me and then spent 20 mins trying to get my stuff back.

Soldato
So I’m comfortable in the Swamp biome as well as the Mountain biome and haven’t died in either of them ages, or in the case of the Mountain, never. I’ve only found a very small Plains biome, about the size of a couple of football pitches on a shore surrounded by Black Forest, and have been using it to farm items from the few Deathsquitos, not Goblins and Lox that spawn in there. Today I got overly cocky whilst clearing this small space and ended up with 2 Deathsquitos, 1 normal not Goblin and 1 1 star not Goblin on me at once. Suffice to say I had my backside handed to me and then spent 20 mins trying to get my stuff back.
Let me know when you find a Furling camp in the plains. Then watch all hell let loose!

Man of Honour
Is this really as good as everyone says it is? Feeling like I need to get in on the action!

If you're playing single player, it's great to begin with but then gets far from good.

If you're playing multiplayer, it remains great.

Mods are a good idea regardless, but probably more mods if you're playing single player.

For example, the last patch forced a major delay on using the hoe tool. That ruins the game for anyone who is into building (you use the hoe to raise and/or level land for building, farming, etc), so pretty much everyone who plays the game will find it greatly improved by using a mod that reverses the hoe delay added in the last patch.

If playing single player, a single death will often effectively be game over after the early game. Without mods, each time you die you lose all of your equipment and everything you're carrying and a large part of every skill you have. One death will cost you in the region of 10 hours of playtime in terms of skills. Or more. Your equipment will be in a grave marker where you died, but if you died when you were fully equipped you are very unlikely to be able to recover your stuff when you're not fully equipped (because all your stuff is on your corpse). In multiplayer, someone else can get your stuff for you. Even if the whole group dies, there's a good chance at least one person will survive to recover some of the stuff and get out while the others are being killed by whatever it was that killed you all in the first place.

So do you fancy spending as much as a real world hour slowly travelling to a location to fail to recover your equipment and die again? Then do that again? And again? If not, don't play Valheim single player unmodded.

Also, the main long-term fun in the game is building. There is a story, but it's not finished (the game is still early access) and most long-term players have either completed the part of the story available so far or aren't much bothered about it for the time being and are progressing in it mainly to unlock stuff for building. There's a lot of fun in it if you're into that sort of play, especially if you install mods to make the building better. There are flaws in the vanilla building system (although it is pretty good, better than in many games) and there are mods to address those flaws. There's fun to be had in succeeding in your first crude shelter. It's just a small hut with the simplest of walls and roof and a beaten earth floor, but it's yours and it's your work. There's fun to be had in your first wooden hall. A small hall, but sturdy and surrounded by a defensive pallisade and containing some furniture and your workbenches and an allotment where you grow some simple crops for food. Then you can add a charcoal burner and a smelter and a forge and some beehives...and plan your great keep, your castle, your tower, your eryie perched atop a high rock and accessible only by magic, whatever you choose.

But not in unmodded Valheim single player.

Associate
Do agree @Angilion that from a single player experience - its tough as you only have one life. If you croak it at some isolated location, its going to be ages before you are tooled up again to recover your gear. It could be slog.

I purchased the other day, it came up on my Steam list as a recommendation - I checked here and saw the really good reviews. Anyway I purchased and even as a single player I am really enjoying. I am ignoring the guides and just discovering. The graphics as others have said, remind me of voxels (nineties Commanche Helicopter games for retro fans) but they do have charm, I like the style. My hero resembles the 4 arm inhabitants in Unreal. Its got that nineties vibe.

Controls are like Terraria so easy to adapt if you have played. I feel at home.

I do agree that as you say Angilion, if you die - you lose everything and cannot retrieve. I'm only exploring at the moment but can see it would be a problem in the later games. I've died in certain places and know it wont be easy to recover, so you have to start over. I am not on a mission to beat the bosses as I would prefer to wait for the full release as I think they will improve the single player experience or make it easier (I hope so as it would be silly if they don't).

Soldato
Thats not really correct. If you die you should always have a small base and portal near by. Always make sure you are upgrading your armour and weapons to the next tier, then when you hit a new area make the next type of armour and weapons. If you die in a hard place you can always equip your previous armour which will give you a fighting chance to get your newer stuff back. I have only played single player, always moving forward slowly, building small bases as I go. I never had any trouble in the swamps (At least nothing I couldnt recitfy), never got killed by an ogre, not even been killed by mosquitoes yet. Infact the only thing to give me problems are the rock golums. I like the way the game plays, it reminds me of playing Neverwinter Nights pws, you die, you pay. Generally only die by rushing or not having an exit plan. This type of play gives you more attachment to your toon and makes you think twice before running blindly into new areas/battle.
Currently what has stopped me playing is hitting the Plains after killing the 4th boss. Its a bit boring to have to go back to the swamps to mine lots of iron to craft the next tier items, but I really want to explore the plains so I'll slog it out. I took out a fairly large goblin thing village by going slowly pulling mobs, you have to do this in wolf armour to get the material to make padded armour, which is meant for the Plains.
I also like the limiting of the hoe, i was clicking like mad leveling ground that didnt need leveling or couldnt be leveled, the limit slows me down so now I keep my stamina for a lot longer and acheive a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom